coda

29 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

Harding was the guy that turned Chelsea from nothing really.  They bounced up and down leagues like WBA until then.  Ground was shite he did loads really.  Then Roman added the bells and whistles.

It was bringing in Gullit that made the difference and than Vialli. 

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

That's not quite true. They'd had FA Cup success and were top 4 or 6 (can't quite remember which) in the years just before he bought them. I think them getting top 4 was the final catalyst for him deciding them and not a different club. 

He certainly moved them up a ridiculous amount but they weren't as bad or small as people make out. 

I disgaree they had a few cup successes but they were nobodies before roman came. They were a average then it jumped a scale when roman came in. Just like city. City were even worse. I remember when they lost to Gillingham in a play off final in league onr

2 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

That's not quite true. They'd had FA Cup success and were top 4 or 6 (can't quite remember which) in the years just before he bought them. I think them getting top 4 was the final catalyst for him deciding them and not a different club. 

He certainly moved them up a ridiculous amount but they weren't as bad or small as people make out. 

Chelsea were very close to financial implosion shortly before Roman took over 

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2005/oct/17/newsstory.sport9

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I disgaree they had a few cup successes but they were nobodies before roman came. They were a average then it jumped a scale when roman came in. Just like city. City were even worse. I remember when they lost to Gillingham in a play off final in league onr

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

Chelsea were very close to financial implosion shortly before Roman took over 

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2005/oct/17/newsstory.sport9

Sorry, the Royal Family thread's way more interesting than this now. There's chance of a unexpected Bank Holiday or two. 

The decline of Chelsea is speeding up. With the owner, Todd Boehly, installing himself as the sporting director and personally overseeing their recent £300m player recruitments its a disaster waiting to happen. 

Maybe Potter can dig them out of the mess but a couple of defeats and Todd Boehly will be in that changing room sticking his oar in and messing it all up. Happy days 🤣

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tinker said:

The decline of Chelsea is speeding up. With the owner, Todd Boehly, installing himself as the sporting director and personally overseeing their recent £300m player recruitments its a disaster waiting to happen. 

Maybe Potter can dig them out of the mess but a couple of defeats and Todd Boehly will be in that changing room sticking his oar in and messing it all up. Happy days 🤣

This I really don't understand. Looking on from the outside, this comes across as a controlling owner looking for personal glory, not understanding his limitations. Nothing on his public CV indicates he is even somewhat qualified for such a position unless it's just a matter of negotiating the transfers Potter want to happen. I just don't get it.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, daft said:

This I really don't understand. Looking on from the outside, this comes across as a controlling owner looking for personal glory, not understanding his limitations. Nothing on his public CV indicates he is even somewhat qualified for such a position unless it's just a matter of negotiating the transfers Potter want to happen. I just don't get it.

Huge ego, wonder if Potter will tell him to do one early or let it fester. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, tinker said:

Huge ego, wonder if Potter will tell him to do one early or let it fester. 

Yeah, I mean it could be a case of him only doing negotiations rather that actually recruiting players and leaving that part to the recruitment department and the manager. Bit it does sound like he will be responsible for all of it which is just weird and might hamper Potter. 

We'll see I suppose.

1 hour ago, tinker said:

Moneyball on steroids 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tinker said:

Todd Boehly gave us ~15M for Chukwuemeka's flash in the pan youth season. He is a Villa legend as far as I am concerned. Thanks for the cash Todd!

• Like 3

It seems they think they know what they are doing appointing him. A bit gutted as he was one of the few managers that could have helped us get closer to the top 6. Now with him at Chelsea that is further away. .

Chelsea can be toxic at times and they employ really strong outspoken managers in the past. I hope it goes well for him but there is a chance it might be too big. It is not just a step up. Its mount everest

Is this the first time an actual, experienced English manager has taken over permanently at a Champions League side in the Premier League era? I'm excluding Lampard from this list because he chanced his way in as a club legend.

Edit: just remembered Bobby Robson at Newcastle

Edited by KentVillan

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

Is this the first time an actual, experienced English manager has taken over permanently at a Champions League side in the Premier League era? I'm excluding Lampard from this list because he chanced his way in as a club legend.

Edit: just remembered Bobby Robson at Newcastle

Quite remarkable that he automatically becomes the highest profile English manager for a generation. 

Â