coda

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, His Name Is Death said:

Leicester proved that you can win the league and be able provide your players with CL games, which supposedly they prize above everything else, and they'll still **** off to Chelsea and Man City.

In fact @BleedClaretAndBlue - just to prove your point - didn't Chelsea finish 10th when Leicester won the league and somehow still manage to take Kanté and Drinkwater off their hands immediately afterwards?

A team with a better brand will trump a league-winning/CL-qualifying Leicester or Villa every single time. If we ever manage to qualify for the CL, and if it should happen that we finish several places above, say, Arsenal that season, a player like Watkins would be off to them in a heartbeat if they want him. Doesn't matter if he gets games with them or not. All for the clout of playing for Arsenal, the team he idolised growing up.

I know it's useless to blame Ellis now, but his disinterest in helping us truly build on our cup successes and relatively strong league positions in the 90s is still hurting us. Without excusing decisions made by later chairmen at all, I think the die was cast very early on in the PL, and Ellis never allowed us to become enough of a 'cool team' for the current crop of players, who all grew up in the 90s/00s and probably paid very little attention to us as a result of his lack of ambition. (Even those who grew up in the Midlands, like Chukwuemeka. Recently called Chelsea his boyhood club. ‘Grew up supporting them’.)

We may sell ourselves as an interesting 'project', but, even if we could offer CL, we're never going to outshine the team who had Henry, or the one who had Drogba. Players care as much about the boots they see themselves as filling as the ones they play alongside.

Even Newcastle are discovering that it's going to take them a little time to build their brand, though I suspect it won't be too long, and I think they have more clout than us to begin with - again, on the back of stuff from the 90s/00s, like the Keegan years (1992-97), Shearer, and their fairly regular appearances in the CL and UEFA Cup. Leeds would have it too, for similar reasons, if only they had better financial backing. Growing up, I always remember kids supporting Newcastle and Leeds if they bothered with anyone outside of Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal or Chelsea.

Spurs are definitely the anomaly in all this. Anyway... no wonder we're seen as dour, eh? 😆

Spot on! If Newcastle are smart, they will take their time and not rush things. That is the only way to even stand a chance of challenging. It took City a while even though they were sort of the first out of the gate. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Potter is alreadt starting to struggle with the weight of expectation and size of the club isnt he. This narrative of little old Chelsea not being as good as Arsenal is not going to wash , despite it being true.  I think he is a great coach but as a manager there needs to be a certain arrogance in these positions. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Potter is alreadt starting to struggle with the weight of expectation and size of the club isnt he. This narrative of little old Chelsea not being as good as Arsenal is not going to wash , despite it being true.  I think he is a great coach but as a manager there needs to be a certain arrogance in these positions. 

Actually listened to a Chelsea fan after their defeat calling for him to go saying he's out of his depth,  He's literally managed them for what 2 months, he's having to make do with the botch job of a transfer window the last fool left. Love them to have a crap season and finish 9th

• Like 1

I don't think Potter will last long at Chelsea but in a strange way I think it was a good move for him and his career, because if he'd have stayed at Brighton always a chance that they would eventually struggled and gone backwards to the cost of his reputation and if that had have happened he would have struggled to get a job at midtable Premier League team, maybe any PL team at all, we've seen it with so many managers in the past, flavor of the month one moment, and struggling to get a job the next.

Whereas joining Chelsea it's pretty much guarantees that even if he fails with them he's still going to get a decent job in his next role as Chelsea's squad is so good that it's virtually impossible to fail with them to the extent where other teams wouldn't want to go near him.

Just the fact that he's got Chelsea on his managerial CV will mean he will get a decent club when he leaves them, might not be another top four or top six team, but will be one of the best of the rest or maybe even England, whereas if he'd have stayed with Brighton and stagnated there might have struggled to get another Premier League job at all.

26 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

They were get spanked by arsenal pre roman every season. Chelsea were a average side before roman came in

What's he got to do with anything right now? Chelsea spent a heap without him. You can only judge in the long term, not yet.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

They were get spanked by arsenal pre roman every season. Chelsea were a average side before roman came in

They were becoming a cup team and fashionable again thanks to being in west london and getting rid of the hoolie element by gentrifying Stamford Bridge.

It was perfect timing for Cuddly Ken when he sold up. They were about to go into financial meltdown before the roubles came to the rescue.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr_Dogg said:

What's he got to do with anything right now? Chelsea spent a heap without him. You can only judge in the long term, not yet.

I can judge from what ive seen since and they have been dire.  Even under gerrard they were so lucky to beat us as we dominated. And that was under woeful gerrard

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

They were becoming a cup team and fashionable again thanks to being in west london and getting rid of the hoolie element by gentrifying Stamford Bridge.

It was perfect timing for Cuddly Ken when he sold up. They were about to go into financial meltdown before the roubles came to the rescue.

100% roman literally saved them from oblivion. Roman came before billionaires were coming into football. Imagine nassef and edens came in at the time roman came in? We would be where chelsea were i predict.timing is everything 

32 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

And Southgate will play him every game at the world cup.

Southgate will use him as the attacking linch pin, we have all this attacking talent and we play through sterling our worst dribbler and passer

After being overly defensive its 2nd on the list of Southgate's ineptitude for me

48 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I can judge from what ive seen since and they have been dire.  Even under gerrard they were so lucky to beat us as we dominated. And that was under woeful gerrard

What's Roman Abramovich got to do with that performance? He was simply the money man.

Â