Marc Albrighton

kingeightyone

Sadly it's all about value for money, and at 35k a week Albrighton doesn't represent that. Wish him all the best.

Remember we still have N'zogbia, Grealish and Tonev who could play in his position. Whilst none have yet shown the same qualities or application in the first team, we can only assume that the club believe at least one can step up to the Marc (pun intended)

I can understand it, even tolerate it if we've got some capable replacements lined up.

And that's a big feckin' if.  <_<

Edited by GarethRDR

If we were to offer a squad player 35k pw I would rather it go to an exciting prospect rather than a known quantity like Albrighton though. I like Marc and think he will go on to have a solid career like Peter Whittingham but I don't think he will ever be a super star that we regret letting go. 

35k a week really isn't much for Premier league players. He has a good first season, got found out second season plus had the unfortunate experience of being a winger in an alex Mcleish team which doesn't help anyone. The last two years he had problems with injuries but the first time we've seen him get a run of games he was our best player. I think we'll regret losing him unless we are taken over and have stupid amounts of money at our disposal.

On a side note Why are we so bad at selling players, we've lost so many players for nothing in the past few seasons.

I would have given him 35k.

We need to replace him now. We're going to have to pay a transfer fee to do that. To get someone who's played like Marc has this season we'd need to spend about £3-4m.

I hate our club right now. Can't even keep players who want to stay. 

• Like 1

I'm amazed by this rumoured 35k a week deal he was on.

He only signed one main contract with us, that was in his golden spell in 2010 when he'd just broken through into the first team.

So he went from earning peanuts on a youth contract to getting a proper premier league contract even before he'd probably played 20 games that season.

Everyone knows the issues we have with the senior players but really we're no better with the youth. No wonder some of them lose their way here.

I'm amazed by this rumoured 35k a week deal he was on.

He only signed one main contract with us, that was in his golden spell in 2010 when he'd just broken through into the first team.

So he went from earning peanuts on a youth contract to getting a proper premier league contract even before he'd probably played 20 games that season.

Everyone knows the issues we have with the senior players but really we're no better with the youth. No wonder some of them lose their way here.

I don't think he rumour relates to what he was on, it relates to what he has been offered by Leicester (and naturally Villa wouldn't match).

Why was he let go? I hope you stick one up Villa Mark. You deserve much better than this shower of shit that is called a football club.

All the best.

Contract ended, and Leicester are offering more. 35K a week I beleive. Don't think he's worth it, and considering the rumours are Delfouneso and Sylla are going it frees up quite some room on the wage bill. IF (and a fecking big if) it is spent right.

We need to replace him now. We're going to have to pay a transfer fee to do that. To get someone who's played like Marc has this season we'd need to spend about £3-4m.

It's not about 1 player's salary, overpaying leads to wage inflation throughout the squad. Players use team mates as referents, and paying sizeable wages to average players means top players want much more than that and other average players want parity.

There's one thing paying Benteke a higher than average wage, but how many players in the squad would look at Albrighton and think 'he deserves a higher salary than me'? How many people are happy in the workplace when people they consider equal/less capable than them earn significantly more? 

Possibly a reason for the 'bomb squad' - keep those being overpaid isolated from the rest of the squad.

Lambert was never consistent enough when it mattered. Flashes of brilliance and mediocrity. £35 a week for a minging manager is not worth it.

;)

All the best to you Marc, thanks for giving it everything you had.

It's not about 1 player's salary, overpaying leads to wage inflation throughout the squad. Players use team mates as referents, and paying sizeable wages to average players means top players want much more than that and other average players want parity.

There's one thing paying Benteke a higher than average wage, but how many players in the squad would look at Albrighton and think 'he deserves a higher salary than me'? How many people are happy in the workplace when people they consider equal/less capable than them earn significantly more? 

Possibly a reason for the 'bomb squad' - keep those being overpaid isolated from the rest of the squad.

Exactly, we all do it. We look at others in the work place and think we should be earning that, it is human nature. Lets be honest ten half decent performances three years after signing a contract, doesn't warrant a nice pay increase.

Albrighton was never consistent enough when it mattered. Flashes of brilliance and mediocrity. £35k a week for a fringe player is not worth it.

But it seems like in modern day football, you need to pay these players that type of money to have any type of success. Albrighton came into the team late this season and he was a revelation for most matches. Yes there were some matches where he did not do as much, but I can honestly say, he earned his paychecks more than anyone else the last couple of months even on his off days. Say he is inconsistent, but he is a threat each game because he has the capability to change a game. I would have paid him the 35k even just to use him as a sub. We can't keep relying on young cheap players. It will come back to bite us.

Edited by Czechlad

I don't think he's worth 35k, but I am sad to see a player leave on a free.

Had he had 2/3 years on a contract, we could have of gotten about £4m for him, which in our predicament would have been welcome.  But by the same token, no one would be offering him 35k a week if they'd have had to pay a fee for him as well.

Good luck though young Marcus - I hope you have a good and fufilling career, he seems like a good lad.

Except of course the bomb squad has now apparently been abandoned and Bent and Hutton are to be reintegrated into the first team. So that went well, didn't it?

A new justification will be needed to try to defend the chaotic and directionless way our club has been run over the past few years.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

:o

35k a week is hardly mega-bucks in the Premier League.

How Leicester City can offer more wages than us is beyond me.

Joke decision.

letting our best players leave for free - now theres a great model for running a football club!

seriously i'd rather we got rid of bent, n'zogbia and hutton before letting albrighton go - completely ridiculous decision and shows how small time this club is at the minute.

Relegation beckons unless some billionaire buys us which seems less and less likely with every passing day.

All the best Marc - you deserve better than this P.O.S. of a club

Â