Marc Albrighton

kingeightyone

Just an offer would be nice, being as he had nothing to sign I don't really understand what more he could do.

You don't have something to sign until something is agreed, that is the entire point of negotiations. You don't prepare contract after contract and put them in front of someone and hope they sign one of them.

There were talks, no agreement was reached and so no paper was put in front of him to sign.

The club would have kept him but weren't able or willing to match what was on offer elsewhere, I'm not sure putting a piece of paper in front of him would have changed anything.

As I said earlier in the thread, on a free he is worth more to them than to us he doesn't warrant 40k a week but fair play and good luck to him.

• Like 2

Did he want to or offer to stay while still earning £20k or was he going to be released/let go by us regardless? Was he demanding £35k PW from us or is that just what Leicester offered him?

I'm asking because if he asked for £35k PW then didn't get it and went to Leicester then my view of him has changed.

316uvdw.gif

This might be the only job he's good at in his whole career, and his career might but cut short by injury at any time.

Shirley as a professional footballer it's his right to ask for as much money as he's worth on the market.

Doesn't change my view of him all if Albrighton wanted more money for his peak years with us.

As a villa fan and in his position I'd have signed & continued to play for the same wage.

£20kpw, £80kpm, £960kpy, he's already made over £3million from us, what more could you want from your boyhood club?

You'd have turned your nose up at a 1 million pound a year pay rise? Yeah right.

As a villa fan who would love to play for my team while already earning more money than I'd ever need yeah.

• Like 1

As I said earlier in the thread, on a free he is worth more to them than to us he doesn't warrant 40k a week but fair play and good luck to him.

I've read this a few times and whilst I can see where your coming from I disagree. He isn't worth more on a free to Leicester than he was to us.

We are now in a position where one of our better players in the second half of last season has gone. Given how dire our squad is it is safe to assume he now needs replacing. Now we either go out and sign another player who is out of contract somewhere, which I'd imagine is easier said than done, and pay him the going rate, in terms of wages, that it seems a player out of contract can command.  Or the other option is we go out and buy a player of Marcs caliber from another club and have a fee to pay with wages on top. Either way this isn't good business. The biggest **** up is of course allowing young players who are making a contribution to get to the point where they are out of contract.

As for Marc I wish the lad luck. Much like Bannan, Delfouneso and Clark he has never quite reached the heights that his early potential showed but as a young player he certainly hasn't been helped by the fact he has had 4 managers in the last 5 years. A run of games under a manager that believes in him could do him the world of good and I could see him having a decent top flight career.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

Did he want to or offer to stay while still earning £20k or was he going to be released/let go by us regardless? Was he demanding £35k PW from us or is that just what Leicester offered him?

I'm asking because if he asked for £35k PW then didn't get it and went to Leicester then my view of him has changed.

316uvdw.gif

This might be the only job he's good at in his whole career, and his career might but cut short by injury at any time.

Shirley as a professional footballer it's his right to ask for as much money as he's worth on the market.

Doesn't change my view of him all if Albrighton wanted more money for his peak years with us.

As a villa fan and in his position I'd have signed & continued to play for the same wage.

£20kpw, £80kpm, £960kpy, he's already made over £3million from us, what more could you want from your boyhood club?

You'd have turned your nose up at a 1 million pound a year pay rise? Yeah right.

As a villa fan who would love to play for my team while already earning more money than I'd ever need yeah.

If you get £20k per an wage for 40 years you will have earned £800,000.

If Albrighton earns £8 million in a 15 year career that's 10* the amount but not stupid money given he is at the top of his profession.

there are at least 500 people with more than $3 billion.

that's stupid money.

316uvdw.gif

He probably got more playing time assurances too. Edited by Rovers13

Just an offer would be nice, being as he had nothing to sign I don't really understand what more he could do.

You don't have something to sign until something is agreed, that is the entire point of negotiations. You don't prepare contract after contract and put them in front of someone and hope they sign one of them.

There were talks, no agreement was reached and so no paper was put in front of him to sign.

The club would have kept him but weren't able or willing to match what was on offer elsewhere, I'm not sure putting a piece of paper in front of him would have changed anything.

Whilst I do understand the logic and I do understand how negotiations work, my problem with the situation is that Leicester were not always interested, up to £40k inc. bonuses a week with promises of being a key player was not always on the table. The club let it get to that point, when it could have been wrapped up much earlier.

He didn't want to leave and although I can't be 100% sure (nor can anybody else), he never asked for the sort of offer that Leicester gave. He has also been promised serious playing time as well as a big pay increase, obviously we can't match that, but it should have been dealt with before Leicester could even offer such a deal IMO.

For the same reason we'll probably lose Vlaar and Delph, maybe even Grealish.

Edited by samjp26

316uvdw.gif

If you get £20k per an wage for 40 years you will have earned £800,000.

If Albrighton earns £8 million in a 15 year career that's 10* the amount but not stupid money given he is at the top of his profession.

there are at least 500 people with more than $3 billion.

that's stupid money.

Non of those billionaires are a slightly better than average footballer.

In a 15 year career on £20k per week Alby will make a basic wage of approx £14.4million, that's BASIC, then you get add-ons, bonuses, various sponsorship payments. I'd settle for that at my local boyhood club.

He really isn't that good IMO.

Have said it since he broke into the team, he plays with his head down, hence why so many of his crosses are not converted, he doesnt try to pick anyone out, he just puts it into an area.

I remember some comparing his crossing ability with that of Beckhams a fee years ago, they couldnt be more different

I liked Marc as he's a good honest player that has never appeared to let his fame and fortune go to his head unlike other young players in a similar position.

I thought he did very well towards the end of the season in the first team and deserved a new contract, although he is a bit of a one trick pony his work ethic is commendable.

However, I totally agree that Marc, however nice he is, isn't worth £35k a week - fair play to him to get that at Leicester (who could afford that without a transfer fee) but it a contract extension at the Villa would never be offered with similar terms.

Good luck to him - I hope he manages to forge a decent career away.

• Like 1

In a 15 year career on £20k per week Alby will make a basic wage of approx £14.4million, that's BASIC, then you get add-ons, bonuses, various sponsorship payments. I'd settle for that at my local boyhood club.

So to be consistent, do you accept that actors at the top of their profession should get paid millions for their roles in movies, when there are local enthusiasts acting for nothing at the local amateur dramatics club?

Non of those billionaires are a slightly better than average footballer.

Billionaire is a magnitude more wealthy than a few millionaire. 14 million isn't even in the ballpark of rich.

Your missing the point Con. I'd play for a fraction of what Marc was getting (£20k per week) if it meant I could warm the bench for the club I've always supported.

I support Villa, if they gave me a reduction to £15k from £20k, I'd bloody take it because its Villa.

If I was at any other club I'd have done what Marc has done, but I'd be happy with anything if it was at the villa. Do you understand the point I've been dragging out for ages now? Jeez.

• Like 1

Your missing the point Con. I'd play for a fraction of what Marc was getting (£20k per week) if it meant I could warm the bench for the club I've always supported.

You're not a very good footballer though. You don't know what it's like to be a good footballer with options.

Take a movie star analogy again: does he or she take the role offered with the Oscar winning film director or the role in his favourite TV show?

If it's your job and you have ambition sometimes you need to move on, especially when money is involved.

I support Villa, if they gave me a reduction to £15k from £20k, I'd bloody take it because its Villa.

If I was at any other club I'd have done what Marc has done, but I'd be happy with anything if it was at the villa. Do you understand the point I've been dragging out for ages now? Jeez.

Yes, but I think your opinion would be different if you were actually good enough at football to play for Villa.

You're not a very good footballer though. You don't know what it's like to be a good footballer with options.

Take a movie star analogy again: does he or she take the role offered with the Oscar winning film director or the role in his favourite TV show?

If it's your job and you have ambition sometimes you need to move on, especially when money is involved.

Yes, but I think your opinion would be different if you were actually good enough at football to play for Villa.

If I was good enough to play for villa I'd happily see out my time for as long as they wanted me on £20k per week. I can promise you that.

If I was good enough to play for villa I'd happily see out my time for as long as they wanted me on £20k per week. I can promise you that.

Times are tough. Would you take a pay cut to £5000? Just asking because you love the club.

Â