Marc Albrighton

kingeightyone

The most upsetting thing is not so much about losing Marc, but wondering how the **** we can compete if players like him are being offered 35k p/w.

Terrible decision. Seemed to be one of the few players with any fight left at the end of the season and always put the effort in.

Not 35k's worth.

The most upsetting thing is not so much about losing Marc, but wondering how the **** we can compete if players like him are being offered 35k p/w.

Terrible decision. Seemed to be one of the few players with any fight left at the end of the season and always put the effort in.

Not 35k's worth.

Is any footballer really deserving of their salary?

We can't even afford to use Alan Hutton... Alan Hutton!

Only just found out about this. Disappointing as he was giving it a good go towards the end of the season. 

I am worried about next season

35k/week is high for a player who had one great break-through season, struggled with form and injuries the next two years, and then put in some fine performances in the latter half of his last season. Villa's real mistake here was not tying up a contract renewal (on reasonable wages - 20k?) for him in January or February, when we were looking safe (before our big tumble down the table) and he was already putting in promising performances.

Instead, we left it to the end of the season, and by the time we secured safety and the club was ready to open talks with him, he was getting better offers elsewhere. I don't blame Marc for taking 35k/week from Leicester, and I don't really blame Villa for not matching that wage. I do blame Villa for not taking care of it earlier, though.

35k/week is high for a player who had one great break-through season, struggled with form and injuries the next two years, and then put in some fine performances in the latter half of his last season. Villa's real mistake here was not tying up a contract renewal (on reasonable wages - 20k?) for him in January or February, when we were looking safe (before our big tumble down the table) and he was already putting in promising performances.

Instead, we left it to the end of the season, and by the time we secured safety and the club was ready to open talks with him, he was getting better offers elsewhere. I don't blame Marc for taking 35k/week from Leicester, and I don't really blame Villa for not matching that wage. I do blame Villa for not taking care of it earlier, though.

That's exactly it mate. Of course we shouldn't have matched £35k a week, but it really shouldn't have gotten to that stage. When he started playing again, relatively well on his arrival back from Wigan, we should have offered him a new contract. Instead, we didn't offer him anything apart from promises of a new deal, which is pretty disrespectful to a guy who has been at the club his entire life. There could have been a scenario where Marc didn't even get to the stage where a £35k a week deal from another club was touted, but the club seemingly did not want to keep him either way, even though Lambert himself stated several times that he wanted him to stay.

He's worth 20k a week max. He's not worth nearly double that, regardless of the situation we find ourselves in. If we have had better players then no one would even think it was a bad move. Marc Albrighton is a very average winger in the premier league.

Don't let a few end of season appearances in which he worked hard but still produced little cloud the judgement that he is being offered the same amount of money as our 20 goal a season striker last year.

He's worth 20k a week max. He's not worth nearly double that, regardless of the situation we find ourselves in. If we have had better players then no one would even think it was a bad move. Marc Albrighton is a very average winger in the premier league.

Don't let a few end of season appearances in which he worked hard but still produced little cloud the judgement that he is being offered the same amount of money as our 20 goal a season striker last year.

But that is the point, we don't have better players, so it is a bad move.

If we had paid him 35k then it would have shown that we have learnt nothing in the last few years.

Would be true if we could buy a replacement for 2.5 mil, put him on 20K per week and he performs better than Albrighton - rounding up to the same price it'd cost to match the leicester offer. We've not exactly been able to do that cough Tonev cough. 

Albrighton is not worth 35k per week but if we can't find a better replacement it'd still be a bad move for the club. 

And when we're in a better position next year or the year after, and we buy better players than marc albrighton, he'll be sitting on the bench for the next X amount of years and we'll all moan that he's still here and we can't get rid of him. Ala every player in the bomb squad.

That's exactly it mate. Of course we shouldn't have matched £35k a week, but it really shouldn't have gotten to that stage. When he started playing again, relatively well on his arrival back from Wigan, we should have offered him a new contract. Instead, we didn't offer him anything apart from promises of a new deal, which is pretty disrespectful to a guy who has been at the club his entire life. There could have been a scenario where Marc didn't even get to the stage where a £35k a week deal from another club was touted, but the club seemingly did not want to keep him either way, even though Lambert himself stated several times that he wanted him to stay.

I dont think he would have signed it then TBH. He would have know that he would earn far more on a Bosman.

1 year ago the thought of him leaving would have been meh

6 months ago, meh

3 months ago, meh

He ain't done enough for me to warrant much more than meh now.

Yes he tried, yes he looked probably our best player in the run in but that really wasn't hard because generally speaking the other 10 were shit.

• Like 1

Question is, how do you feel knowing that Albrighton will be going against us. He is very hard to defend against because he has the tenacity to take on defenders and he can ping in a good cross fairly consistently. I don't want Luna or Bennett having to mark Marc.

Tenacity will only get you so far.

I'd hope that next season will be the only time we will even pay him any attention, after that shaw will mark him out of the game.

Â