Irreverentad's Relationship Advice Thread

irreverentad

I’ve been to lavish/expensive weddings as well as budget ones and enjoyed them all but do side on the thought of the most expensive never live up to their expectstions.

ours wasn’t massively expensive, as my wife’s parents didn’t contribute at all (not even a congratulations - a story for another time!) but we did it our way and had  an awesome day with our friends. 

we had a DJ but ensured he played only good stuff by requesting tracks to be played (no M People or Robbie Williams) within our invites. I then burnt discs with the requested tracks for the DJ to use.

Therefore the dance floor was heaving all night to the White Stripes, Happy Mondays etc and topped off with Zorba the Greek!

that was 16 years ago..... still going strong 

Edited by theboyangel
  • Like 1

All this talk of weddings, a mate recently got married to someone who I don't really like to be fair, she has shit like, laugh live love, painted on a wall, but last time he was married about 6 years ago he asked me to be best man. I didn't want to because we weren't that close, Close enough but I had only known him about 3 years and I didn't fancy it but close enough to be invited to the wedding.

He did invite me to the wedding, but because I have a dislike of leaving the house on a Saturday night, I stayed in instead.

Fast forward to his second marriage I ain't even got a **** invitation. Its irritated me in all honesty. I wouldn't have gone as I was on holiday, he didn't know that though. 

I understand the many reasons for not inviting me but don't harsh my irritation by pointing out the many obvious elements. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

All this talk of weddings, a mate recently got married to someone who I don't really like to be fair, she has shit like, laugh live love, painted on a wall, but last time he was married about 6 years ago he asked me to be best man. I didn't want to because we weren't that close, Close enough but I had only known him about 3 years and I didn't fancy it but close enough to be invited to the wedding.

He did invite me to the wedding, but because I have a dislike of leaving the house on a Saturday night, I stayed in instead.

Fast forward to his second marriage I ain't even got a **** invitation. Its irritated me in all honesty. I wouldn't have gone as I was on holiday, he didn't know that though. 

I understand the many reasons for not inviting me but don't harsh my irritation by pointing out the many obvious elements. 

Is there anyone you do like? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I cant tell if this is you being serious or joking? 😁 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, theboyangel said:

I’ve been to lavish/expensive weddings as well as budget ones and enjoyed them all but do side on the thought of the most expensive never live up to their expectstions.

ours wasn’t massively expensive, as my wife’s parents didn’t contribute at all (not even a congratulations - a story for another time!) but we did it our way and had  an awesome day with our friends. 

we had a DJ but ensured he played only good stuff by requesting tracks to be played (no M People or Robbie Williams) within our invites. I then burnt discs with the requested tracks for the DJ to use.

Therefore the dance floor was heaving all night to the White Stripes, Happy Mondays etc and topped off with Zorba the Greek!

that was 16 years ago..... still going strong 

Same as me,  mine cost 5K for everything,  no church, town hall in the village where you come out in the middle of the village once you are married above a fountain,  reception on the beech and stuff.

It was brilliant.  It's not the place or the flowers,  it's the people.  Both families were so happy it could have been in a caravan and they would not have cared at all.

13 years so far.  

Edited by Amsterdam_Neil_D
  • Like 2

My wedding was as cheap as they come. Registry office, followed by sandwiches in a Telford pub, then minibus to blast off in Wolves where me, my wife and our friends danced the night away. My parents and others stayed on at the pub and enjoyed themselves without us. Cost £200 in 1999

• Like 2

I can genuinely only think of one person who I could ask to be best man, and even him I'm not sure of. I barely see my uni mates any more and I never really had any close friends growing up (well, one, but in sixth form my girlfriend at the time cheated on me with him so that put an end to that friendship).

So yeah, @Stevo985 and @StefanAVFC, I may have a job for you in a few year's time.

I can see the speeches now... 'I remember that one time on Rocket League...',  and 'So we were playing GTA Online, right. @lapal_fan had just finished running Rich over for the fiftieth time that night...'

• Like 2

Just now, Ginko said:

I can genuinely only think of one person who I could ask to be best man, and even him I'm not sure of. I barely see my uni mates any more and I never really had any close friends growing up (well, one, but in sixth form my girlfriend at the time cheated on me with him so that put an end to that friendship).

So yeah, @Stevo985 and @StefanAVFC, I may have a job for you in a few year's time.

I can see the speeches now... 'I remember that one time on Rocket League...',  and 'So we were playing GTA Online, right. @lapal_fan had just finished running Rich over for the fiftieth time that night...'

I must have been going lightly on yo' ass that night. It was usually in the 100s :lol:  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ginko said:

"Commiserations to the woman who has to spend her life with this laggy son of a bitch"

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

"Commiserations to the woman who has to spend her life with this laggy son of a bitch"

Her name is Holly (two years last month) and our internet is decent nowadays, thank you very much.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 1

On 20/08/2019 at 17:21, Rugeley Villa said:

Ours was very low key . Family and close friends only. Lichfield registry office then we all went for a sit down meal. The ones that wanted to carry on drinking joined us down town in our local pubs. One landlord gave  us bottles of champagne on the house. The cost weren’t much at all. People think I’m joking when I say the Cocaine bill was as much as the wedding. That’s how it was a few years ago though. As it turned out I made a massive dick of myself and she wants to renew our vows which we are doing next year. 

Did the bridesmaid who you tried to nail think it was low key as well?! ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A lad I know had the full works for his wedding... at a castle with a moat, loads of people attending, a 'famous' DJ for the evening. Mainly driven by his missus I would imagine. The stress of organising it all nearly finished him off. Not to mention the price.

1 hour ago, Xela said:

A lad I know had the full works for his wedding... at a castle with a moat, loads of people attending, a 'famous' DJ for the evening. Mainly driven by his missus I would imagine. The stress of organising it all nearly finished him off. Not to mention the price.

You know David Beckham?

On the subject of being best man... is a speech absolutely necessary? I'm meant to be best man for someone I work with. I found it a bit odd he asked me, we'd only known each other a year at that point. We've barely done anything outside of work. I've got absolutely no funny stories, and know none of his family or friends that I don't work with. I'm also terrified of public speaking. With he, his partner and some friends being actors, it makes it worse as I'm sure they'd be expecting someone super confident to be doing a speech. If I was asked to fill 1 minutes worth of talking, I'd really struggle.

Â