The Ex-Villa Player thread - Keeping tabs on old Villans

Moneill

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

Nathan Baker has been forced to retire at the age of 31.

A head injury. He was always ridiculously brave as a defender.

• Sad 4

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

A head injury. He was always ridiculously brave as a defender.

The injury was in November 2021. Fingers crossed for him that this retirement is just that he think he'll be too old by the time he fully recovers rather than anything more long term :( 

7 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

The injury was in November 2021. Fingers crossed for him that this retirement is just that he think he'll be too old by the time he fully recovers rather than anything more long term :( 

Two separate big ones I think - came back from one head injury before getting another. Hopefully he makes a full recovery. 

• Like 1

according to tranfermarkt its his 3rd head injury/concussion but I am sure was games he played for us that he came off with a concussion and was included in the next game/squad so they probably werent included

As a player I always liked him, he always gave his all compared to some of his teammates. Wish him well and hope he recovers and leads a happy life. Maybe we could bring him in as a youth coach if he was interested in it 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Two separate big ones I think - came back from one head injury before getting another. Hopefully he makes a full recovery. 

I took your word for it, but not according to the club statement! 

The good news is it sounds like he's alright and it's precautionary to prevent further issues, but he's well and will be able to live a good life as long as he stops banging his head on things

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/baker-retires-from-professional-football/

The 31-year-old will step away from the game as a consequence of the head injury he sustained at Sheffield United on November 28th, 2021.

Baker was hospitalised for 24 hours following the incident and has since been undergoing tests, treatment and recuperation in an effort to resume his career.

Having assessed his progression over a period of nine months, Nathan has been advised by medical professionals that to carry on playing at a professional level would represent a significant risk to his ongoing and future health.

He is currently well, without any neurological or cognitive issues, but is likely to be monitored with further Neuro-Psychology testing in the future.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 25/09/2022 at 23:20, Tomaszk said:

I swear Baker went down for treatment after whacking his head literally every game for us. At least. 75% of matches I'd say.

Bombed out so we could sign John Terry for one year.

I liked NB but every game i almost expected him to give away a penalty or get injured...or get injured giving away a penalty.

On 25/09/2022 at 23:20, Tomaszk said:

I swear Baker went down for treatment after whacking his head literally every game for us. At least. 75% of matches I'd say.

Bombed out so we could sign John Terry for one year.

Oh yeah, what a dumb decision that was. Replacing a sub standard, injury prone player with one of the best to ever play in that position in this country, who also the played a major part in changing the culture here from that of losers to winners, resulting in us getting back into the PL soon after.

On 28/09/2022 at 03:26, bannedfromHandV said:

Oh yeah, what a dumb decision that was. Replacing a sub standard, injury prone player with one of the best to ever play in that position in this country, who also the played a major part in changing the culture here from that of losers to winners, resulting in us getting back into the PL soon after.

Yeah, but apart from that, what has John Terry ever done for us?

Â