The Ex-Villa Player thread - Keeping tabs on old Villans

Moneill

3 hours ago, choffer said:

Currently enjoying my first MLS live game in Atlanta. Unsurprised to see our Brad’s goal kicks going straight into touch still. 

I haven't seen a live MLS match in over ten years - can't enjoy it to be honest.  Even when I had a couple of my ex-college players at NE and Seattle, I just couldn't enjoy it.

Considering the level he played previously and his experience, surprising really that Guzan hasn't really had a sniff for the US team.... happy for him that he's still making a living from the game though.... 

1 hour ago, FLVillan said:

I haven't seen a live MLS match in over ten years - can't enjoy it to be honest.  Even when I had a couple of my ex-college players at NE and Seattle, I just couldn't enjoy it.

Considering the level he played previously and his experience, surprising really that Guzan hasn't really had a sniff for the US team.... happy for him that he's still making a living from the game though.... 

Was somewhat surprised myself. I really wanted to enjoy it and didn’t want to be sniffy but it’s a very different experience to watching a top flight game in Europe. 

2 hours ago, Villatillidie95 said:

Enda Stevens joins Stoke city on a one year contract after released from Sheffield United. Done quite well there over the years 

Had a good career while we had greats like Luna, Richardson, Cissokho and Bennett

Another poor Villa decision

• Like 2

On 05/07/2023 at 20:16, Zatman said:

Had a good career while we had greats like Luna, Richardson, Cissokho and Bennett

Another poor Villa decision

What? He barely played in the premier league? We’d have been underwhelmed if we’d signed him when we weren’t in the Prem, how is it a poor villa decision (and another one at that)?

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

What? He barely played in the premier league? We’d have been underwhelmed if we’d signed him when we weren’t in the Prem, how is it a poor villa decision (and another one at that)?

Paying a moderately large fee for Joe Bennett who was not any better than him was a mistake. That being said Stevens didn't really peak until he got his fitness up to scratch later in his career.

Samatta joined PAOK in Greece yesterday on a free transfer after being released by Fenerbahce. PAOK are potential future opponents for us in the Conference League.

Samatta's nomadic career continues.

4 minutes ago, Ceemo said:

Samatta joined PAOK in Greece yesterday on a free transfer after being released by Fenerbahce. PAOK are potential future opponents for us in the Conference League.

Samatta's nomadic career continues.

I hope the PAOK Twitter admin is well prepared

• Haha 3

Leandro Bacuna has returned to Groningen in the Netherlands at the age of 31, just over 10 years after he left Groningen to join Villa.

Since he left Villa in 2017, he has played exclusively in the Championship. He never did get to play for that Champions League team that he always thought he could have.

1 hour ago, Ceemo said:

Leandro Bacuna has returned to Groningen in the Netherlands at the age of 31, just over 10 years after he left Groningen to join Villa.

Since he left Villa in 2017, he has played exclusively in the Championship. He never did get to play for that Champions League team that he always thought he could have.

Maybe he meant 'championship football' 😂

• Haha 1

I was at Charlton v Aberdeen last weekend and saw Blackett-Taylor play for Charlton. I reckon he was probably one of the best players on the pitch. Seemed to be able to run through 2 or 3 Aberdeen players like they weren't even there. Got himself a goal too. He didn't seem noticeably quick or skillfull but just had no problem beating his man and getting down the wing. First touch was a bit suspect but I'd imagaine he'll have a solid career in the EFL.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/07/2023 at 20:35, bannedfromHandV said:

Because we didn't have a pot to piss in and under Lambert must have bought a dozen players that weren't better than what we had already at the club or academy.

A better manager like a Dyche now manages that budget and adds quality and gets the most out of what is at the club.

Not constantly turning over the squad spending meagre resources on marginally better (or worse) players.

On 01/08/2023 at 23:16, Ceemo said:

He got a 5 year deal out of Cardiff. Him and his brother must have earned a staggering amount of cash for being absolutely terrible at football.

Â