The Ex-Villa Player thread - Keeping tabs on old Villans

Moneill

47 minutes ago, Genie said:

I reckon if you’re earning £20/30/40,000 a week it’s easy to blow a fortune as it’s back again before you know it. 

If you get into the habit like Merson did when he was rolling in money it really becomes a problem when the income starts to dry up.

I really feel for people who wrestle with gambling as ads are everywhere. I hate the fact that football matches are hammered with gambling adverts. My son has asked me a few times about gambling off the back of these adverts and thinks it seems like a good idea betting on Kane to score next if you get 6x your money back. 

Think was Keith Gillespie lost 2 million as well and he probably earned a lot less than Merse. Scary situation, i like a gamble but definitely scares you off

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Genie said:

There’s a programme about Paul Merson and gambling on BBC1 now

It excellent. Very interesting and shows you how evil the gambling companies are. Legalised crack sellers. 1 gambling related suicide a day. Every day!

Edited by villa89
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, villa89 said:

It excellent. Very interesting and shows you how evil the gambling companies are. Legalised crack sellers. 1 gambling related suicide a day. Every day!

Yeah, I watched the second half of it.

The woman talking about her partner who killed himself was heartbreaking. 80 odd bets a day. He gets an email after he had died from one of the companies saying because he hadn’t deposited enough he wasn’t getting his bonuses.

Merson, Hartson, Gillespie and some bloke from Reading said they’d collectively lost over £15m to gambling. Keith Gillespie was bankrupt a long time ago after earning £7m from football.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

i loathe them...i really do. and the worst part? despite all the money they get from these addicts, they'll still restrict the regular joe bloggs for winning a couple of hundred quid in a month. evil, evil corporations.

i've been an addict before, and i managed to get it under control before dipping into savings or anything like that. now it's a second income to me. i know i'm one of the lucky ones though.

3 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Hard hitting and surely further gambling advertising reforms will be due soon. I very rarely bet but the amount of adverts when a game is on is crazy. They have replaced one vice of booze with another in gambling.

Have to ban all gambling advertising really, that's part of the solution. They also need to stop gambling companies data mining their customers and offering any incentives, free bets, VIP rewards etc. A ban on max payouts, max odds, offering bets that are not possible to win, etc should all be implemented too. A bookmaker should have to take your bet and if you are winning money from them then they shouldn't be able to ban/restrict you. I would also bring in a 10% tax on all bets placed with the money being ring fenced for advertising gambling addiction services and funding those services.  

3 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Hard hitting and surely further gambling advertising reforms will be due soon. I very rarely bet but the amount of adverts when a game is on is crazy. They have replaced one vice of booze with another in gambling.

It used to be cigarettes, everyone said F1, Snooker, Darts would all die off without Marlboro, B & H etc. It's the same scaremongering with gambling. 

Edited by villa89
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

the amount of adverts when a game is on is crazy

They said last night that during a game a betting logo is shown around 700 times, once every 10 seconds on average.

Its sickening.

Watched the documentary today and I agree with most on here that reform needs to go a lot further and I’m sceptical it will go as far as it needs to any time soon

Merson is very watchable and relatable and you want to see him get better - the only bit I can’t understand though is his relationship with the other pundits who were the face of all the advertising whilst he worked weekly with them on Sky (I’m guessing Merson was no part of those but if he was then that’s even odder)

I think I’d like to see him call out some of those people and get their perspective of what they think about being paid to do that sort of work now knowing the impact it can have 

I thought the most shocking thing was the information request on personal data they were holding on a self confessed gambling addict. 

The very information that they should be using to spot him as a problem, which it 100% would do, they were instead using to target his weaknesses to tailor offers to sucker him in more. 

They really are scum. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, sidcow said:

I thought the most shocking thing was the information request on personal data they were holding on a self confessed gambling addict. 

The very information that they should be using to spot him as a problem, which it 100% would do, they were instead using to target his weaknesses to tailor offers to sucker him in more. 

They really are scum. 

To be honest I don't really blame the gambling companies themselves. They are a business and one that's supposed to generate profits. It's not their job to have morals or to self regulate, they have to generate profits and that's it. We have more than enough information now about how vulnerable some people are to gambling addiction. It up to governments to regulate the sector correctly and ignore all the lobbying of the gambling industry and the pretend self regulation. when the ****FUN**** stops............maybe think for half a second about stopping....but not for too long....or at all really....and then just top up your account for some more   *****FUN******.

Interesting interview, was unlikeable when he left but seems a decent guy. O'Neill naturally comes across as a dinosaur. about an hour when he talks about Villa. Houllier as well sounds like poor man management with the senior players

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, villa89 said:

To be honest I don't really blame the gambling companies themselves. They are a business and one that's supposed to generate profits. It's not their job to have morals or to self regulate, they have to generate profits and that's it. We have more than enough information now about how vulnerable some people are to gambling addiction. It up to governments to regulate the sector correctly and ignore all the lobbying of the gambling industry and the pretend self regulation. when the ****FUN**** stops............maybe think for half a second about stopping....but not for too long....or at all really....and then just top up your account for some more   *****FUN******.

The thing is they already DO have responsibility to seek out problem gamblers, they clearly don't though and instead use the data to encourage more gambling from obviously addicted people.

Â