Brad Guzan

R.Bear

A shame, always liked Brad. I can only conclude Sherwood had doubts initally, Man. City game gave him an excuse to drop and he also feels Guzan is too closely associated with the Lambert era so wants to make as much of a break as possible from that time.

**** ridiculous decision, if true.

Hardly a surprise. His exit was a formality as soon as our interest in Begović was confirmed.

Edited by Isa

I don't have a problem with Brad going as long as someone better is brought in to replace him. The same goes for every player at the club.

Guzan is at an age and a stage in his career where he is not going to want to hang around and be a number 2 again so it makes perfect sense that if we do bring in what the manager thinks is a better keeper that Guzan will then move on.

Edited by markavfc40

If this is true, then despite my main concerns regarding budget and misdirected funds, I'd also like to point out we'd be losing one of the most important/influential players in the squad.

Although it's been an awful few years, most people would acknowledge that at different times over that period, Guzan, Vlaar, Delph and Benteke have been the spine that hat have kept us up. We could realistically lose all four this summer and how that can't fill people with dread is beyond me. It's this that highlights we are still a slowly sinking ship, why arent we replacing the average/poor players rather than patching up significant departures?

If it's true of course. But a bit tired of depressing rumours rather than inspiring ones.

• Like 1

Let's hold on a minute....Begovic is unlikely to sign.

I'm fine with Guzan moving on if it's a keeper of his standard e.g. someone who's been a regular in the prem for 4-5 years.

If it's just some young kid from abroad or some bloke from the championship like that Brentford keeper who was linked a few weeks ago then no I wouldn't be confident with that and Given as back up.

It depends on the standard of replacement.

If true this is shambolic. Brad is a much better keeper than he's given credit for and has been a model professional. One bad patch and he's shipped out when we have a whole crock of shit playing in front of him.

If he does move on I'm sure he'll prove his worth elsewhere.

• Like 1

Hes really not that good. Hes a nice bloke and a decent keeper if we want to progress we need to make less mistakes at the back and Begovic will be a great start to that if he's Brads replacement.

I don't think anyone is saying he's too good to be replaced, it's just a case of it being such a low priority. Especially if it impacts on budget.

We more urgently would be better improving on Cissokho, Richardson, Hutton, Cleverley, Sanchez, NZogbia,Gabby and Weimann of just the players who played large parts of the season. I'd personally argue that we'd make greater improvements as a team if we even tried to improve on 'good' players such as Baker, Okore and Westwood than replace Guzan.

The realistic replacements for, certainly anyone in that first group, would have a far greater impact on our progress next season than replacing Guzan.

It's not that he can't, or even shouldn't, be replaced it's just that is completely the wrong area to be focusing on unless you're 100% sure it won't impact on the more vital areas.

Gutted if true.

Why?

I'm impressed that people still have heroes these days. I like Brad, I think he's a decent keeper. I think we overrated him a touch a couple of years back, but there's nowt wrong with that, it's called being a fan and I'll be annoyed if we don't replace him with somebody better.

But it's kind of exciting, signing a keeper is a huge deal, they are the fulcrum of your defensive strategy. Maybe Brad just doesn't fit in with what the manager wants, who really knows, but I'll wish Brad all the best and thanks for the good times no doubt.

• Like 3

Would be another bad call by Tim if true. Replacing Guzan would cost us a decent wedge (unless we can pull something special off), that money would be better served being invested in higher priority areas. Guzan is solid at this level. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Not really bothered. I've become a bit bored of Guzan. He's slowly getting worse after a great year during Lambert's first season and with how abysmal our defence has been for the past 4/5 years I'm happy to see changes to it.

Would be another bad call by Tim if true. Replacing Guzan would cost us a decent wedge (unless we can pull something special off), that money would be better served being invested in higher priority areas. Guzan is solid at this level.

Another bad call? What are the others?

Not really bothered. I've become a bit bored of Guzan. He's slowly getting worse after a great year during Lambert's first season and with how abysmal our defence has been for the past 4/5 years I'm happy to see changes to it.

Another bad call? What are the others?

Are you seriously trying to reignite the 'free Gil' campaign ;)

Â