Brad Guzan

R.Bear

I never said we were below average though. You did, either way for me he needs replacing.

No, you said he was average. Its obvious to everyone we are below average which is my point. We're a 16th-17th place side with a goalkeeper who is considered to be an average Premier League keeper which would make him more than suitable for us at the moment and our realistic aspirations for the coming season.

That's because you rate him as a 10-12th goalkeeper. I don't, I'd take Heaton over him in a flash.

Ok, but aren't we also talking about how much it would cost to replace him as well? Lets say Heaton is a considerable upgrade on Guzan. How much of our transfer budget would we have to spend to get him? 6-7 million? Butland who has hardly played a Premier League game cost Stoke £3.5 million for example.

Point being to improve upon Guzan we're going to have to spend and when there are other others far more pressing it strikes me as a waste of money.

Exactly. This was my point all along.

Even if Heaton is an upgrade (which he isn't but that's a different point) I think we can all agree he's not a significant upgrade, is he?

And how much would he cost? 6 or 7 million?

So we'd be replacing an apparently average goalkeeper who is good enough for where we are as a club and who doesn't want to leave, with an arguably slightly better goalkeeper and spending what will probably be a significant chunk of our transfer budget doing it.

It would be a complete waste of money. There are so many other areas that we should be prioritising before we replace Guzan for the sake of it

• Like 1

ussoccer.com: Brad Guzan is back in for the first time in 2015, having missed the March friendlies with the birth of his child. Where do you see him at this stage?

JK: “We are excited to have Brad Guzan back in our group. He will be the starter in the Gold Cup. He is our number one, so it’s really important for him to pick up games with us. It’s exciting, even if he had some tough weeks at Aston Villa where suddenly the coach for whatever reason decided to put him behind Shay Given. That surprised us big time, but he fights through that and he will be sharp and hungry for the long summer.”

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2015/05/31/16/50/150531-mnt-jk-qa-on-ned-ger-roster

Guzan to be the number one choice for them.

We can buy the best 'keeper in the world, if the defence is going to allow 20 shots per game, something is going in.

I feel there are much higher priorities than replacing Guzan.

• Like 1

He is playing for USA right now against the Netherlands. It's 1-1 but the goal he conceded was not his fault. Guzan actually has done pretty well. He made a few saves, and there was this one play where he grabbed a free kick then kicked it 60 yards up to USA's striker perfectly. 

He is playing for USA right now against the Netherlands. It's 1-1 but the goal he conceded was not his fault. Guzan actually has done pretty well. He made a few saves, and there was this one play where he grabbed a free kick then kicked it 60 yards up to USA's striker perfectly. 

Not surprised at all. He's a top keeper.

• Like 1

Guzan makes a point blank save on Van Persie, then lets in a headed goal from Huntelaar. I thought it was savable if he reacted just a split second quicker. USA's defense is doing Guzan absolutely no favors at the moment though. 

Guzan makes a point blank save on Van Persie, then lets in a headed goal from Huntelaar. I thought it was savable if he reacted just a split second quicker. USA's defense is doing Guzan absolutely no favors at the moment though. 

It was one of those tough ones that looks saveable on a slow motion replay but the header was close range and straight at him it's difficult to react in time, maybe too close to him.

I agree, the US back 4 is as bad as ours by the looks of it!

Another goal for Netherlands but this was completely not save-able. Guzan actually made yet another good stop, but then the ball was played back to Huntelaar who's shot deflected off Depay which completely changed the trajectory. 

As I say type this, Guzan makes a goal line save. 

What a mental game, US just scored twice in a minute to lead 3-4. Inbetween Brad made another good save and RVP hit crossbar from rebound.

The Dutch are abysmal, Hiddink's got to be put out of his misery before too long surely.

Exactly. This was my point all along.

Even if Heaton is an upgrade (which he isn't but that's a different point) I think we can all agree he's not a significant upgrade, is he?

And how much would he cost? 6 or 7 million?

So we'd be replacing an apparently average goalkeeper who is good enough for where we are as a club and who doesn't want to leave, with an arguably slightly better goalkeeper and spending what will probably be a significant chunk of our transfer budget doing it.

It would be a complete waste of money. There are so many other areas that we should be prioritising before we replace Guzan for the sake of it

Yeah I agree with all of that. What would you do if someone of the standard of Heaton came along for free though? End of contract type thing. Would you upgrade then or would you stick with the familiar?  For me it would depend on the extent of the improvement.  If only Guzan could eliminate his clangers which I can only assume are concentration-related then we wouldn't even be having this conversation I think.  He's a good keeper.  On his day a very good keeper.

Talk of new keepers gone quiet lately.

Good I say, Brad is still decent enough for us. I think the little spell out of the team will do him good long term as his standards did drop last season and he started making sloppy errors even before the awful Man. City one.

Edited by VillaChris

GuzN is a good keeper who has got worse in the last 12 months. Hopefully dropping him has given him the kick up the arse he needs to get back on the upward curve. For what ever reason he seemed to become hyperactive in goal and his distribution got worse.

I wouldn't say worse. He should be entering the prime of his career now. He had a few off matches last season, but most of the matches he played, Guzan was his typical solid self. He even had a few "world class" matches. Fans have short memories. Hopefully Sherwood realizes Guzan is a top 10 keeper and we'd be insane to sell him unless it were for someone like Cech. 

Â