Brad Guzan

R.Bear

But we have no idea what our budget will be. If we replace Guzan and only sign a couple of free transfers then I think it's fair to question the decision. But if we can improve on the keeper as well as a few other areas in order to improve next season then there really shouldn't be an issue with it.

But we have no idea what our budget will be. If we replace Guzan and only sign a couple of free transfers then I think it's fair to question the decision. But if we can improve on the keeper as well as a few other areas in order to improve next season then there really shouldn't be an issue with it.

I don't think anyone does have an issue with that scenario. They have an issue with the scenario where we spend what we normally do and replace a good goalkeeper with another for £10 million.

I can't imagine anyone will care if we have £50 million to spend and we spend £10 million of that on a new keeper for example.

• Like 1

If Brad is to go, which may very well not be the case, with two years left on his contract I'd imagine we'd be looking at getting around 4-5 mill for him. If we can therefore get Begovic who is almost 3 years younger and for me a better keeper for 7-8 mill I'd consider that a decent bit of business regardless of other priorities.

The likelihood of us actually getting Begovic though seems slim

If Brad is to go, which may very well not be the case, with two years left on his contract I'd imagine we'd be looking at getting around 4-5 mill for him. If we can therefore get Begovic who is almost 3 years younger and for me a better keeper for 7-8 mill I'd consider that a decent bit of business regardless of other priorities.

The likelihood of us actually getting Begovic though seems slim.

Agreed.

In all likelihood we won't sign Begovic. Which means there's a pretty high chance, IMO, that we end up with a worse keeper than Guzan.

Hopefully Sherwood has something up his sleeve.

That's a very fair point. However previous evidence suggests that we don't usually spend much more than £20 million. IF we have a much larger transfer kitty and Guzan being replaced is only a small piece in a larger puzzle then that's excellent. 

I have my doubts though.

That's what I mean, the indications are that this won't be more of the same. Obviously we have to wait to know the extent of the resources available but there is enough to suggest that it's not going to be a repeat of the previous years.

Also, I think the referencing of the £10m fee in regard to Begović is a little misleading. That's Stoke's asking price, doesn't mean we are prepared to spend that on a new keeper. In fact, our opening bid of half that would suggest we have no intention of going that high.

That's a very fair point. However previous evidence suggests that we don't usually spend much more than £20 million. IF we have a much larger transfer kitty and Guzan being replaced is only a small piece in a larger puzzle then that's excellent. 

I have my doubts though.

That's what I mean, the indications are that this won't be more of the same. Obviously we have to wait to know the extent of the resources available but there is enough to suggest that it's not going to be a repeat of the previous years.

Also, I think the referencing of the £10m fee in regard to Begović is a little misleading. That's Stoke's asking price, doesn't mean we are prepared to spend that on a new keeper. In fact, our opening bid of half that would suggest we have no intention of going that high.

I hope you are correct but I don't see the indications that our spending will improve as clearly as you. If we bid £5 million then it isn't far wide of the fees we have been spending or looked to spend recently. I do hope I'm wrong though.

On the fee, If that is their asking price then its the correct figure to use as its most likely going to cost at least that much to get him. 

Obviously though if we sign Begovic for £6-7 million and sell Guzan it doesn't seem all that bad IMO.

Edited by sexbelowsound

Assuming we spend more on a new keeper than we receive for Guzan, which if the Begovic rumours are true we almost certainly will, then it's a waste of money.

I get that Sherwood deems it a priority. But I don't agree with him. I'm not as willing to just agree with it just because the manager thinks it's right as some other people are.

That's not what I said at all. Not in the slightest. I don't even see the correlation.

I didn't suggest you HAD to agree, I presented a scenario in which that if the manager can't/won't work with him or vice versa, or doesn't trust him, or see's something we can't (that we may or may not agree with him on) then he has to replace him. 

No one player is bigger than the club, neither is one player ever bigger than the manager. Not unless said player is named Messi or Ronaldo. 

I didn't say it was what you said. In fact I was careful to make the point that I didn't mean you, which is why I used the words "some other people" instead of "you". Other being the key word.

Some other people are saying that if the manager deems it a priority then we should all just be fine with it and assume it's the best thing to do.

• Like 1

If we go into the new season with current keepers, Sherwood will have Given as our number one. I definitely don't want to see that. Therefore, bye Brad, welcome new number one.

Edited by AVTuco
  • Like 1

He'd deserve all his criticism he gets if that happened, I could understand Given coming in for Brad when he did but the bloke is nowhere near capable of playing a 38 premier league season anymore, we'd still conceded shedloads.

Call me old fashioned, but I think it is better to wait until the manager has actually made a purchase before slagging him off for wasting money/wrong priorities etc.

Criticising him for transfer moves he hasn't made, or is only rumoured in the gutter press  to be making, does seem like an unnecessary effort.

• Like 3

I didn't say it was what you said. In fact I was careful to make the point that I didn't mean you, which is why I used the words "some other people" instead of "you". Other being the key word.

Some other people are saying that if the manager deems it a priority then we should all just be fine with it and assume it's the best thing to do.

Oh right.

Misunderstanding me old China. I concur, I think, though I've not seen anyone put it so blatantly I agree it's nowhere near as black and white as that

Signing a top goalkeeper given the chance is great business regardless of the budget.

Begovic is miles better than Guzan

Yep, like I said earlier I can see why a new manager would want to sort that position out early on when building his team.

Signing a top goalkeeper given the chance is great business regardless of the budget.

He's really not.

Begovic at his best 1/2 seasons ago was the same time as Guzan at his best and we wouldn't have traded them then.

Begovic has fallen off the cliff a little, as has Guzan.

He's really not.

Begovic at his best 1/2 seasons ago was the same time as Guzan at his best and we wouldn't have traded them then.

Begovic has fallen off the cliff a little, as has Guzan.

Given the choice, you would pick Guzan in your starting 11?

Edited by YGabbana

Last time Guzan won us a game was Norwich away 2013. Nearly 60 games ago. He is good but if he goes it will be sad but not the end of the world. I can see him going Burnley to replace Heaton and if honest cant see any other Premier League teams want him unless as a back-up and even then the big teams arent that keen and going for Ruddy, Green and Begovic

Had a quick look at the Oatcake and appears Begovic to Chelsea will happen once the Cech move goes through.

They are just going by the SkySports claim earlier. Which may well be correct, just depends if he favours first-team football as much as was claimed.

Â