Brad Guzan

R.Bear

If Begovic is so excellent why was he dropped at the end of last season?

He's a very good keeper. Arguably better than Guzan.

But the difference isn't huge.

Don't get me wrong, like I said elsewhere, IF we sign Begovic then it's a good signing in isolation. If Sherwood is determined to have a new keeper then Begovic is about as good as we could expect to have.

I just think it's madness to be spending the sort of money it will take to sign him when there are so many other areas of the team that need strengthening and given our modest budget (assuming our budget is modest, of course)

If Begovic is so excellent why was he dropped at the end of last season?

He's a very good keeper. Arguably better than Guzan.

But the difference isn't huge.

Don't get me wrong, like I said elsewhere, IF we sign Begovic then it's a good signing in isolation. If Sherwood is determined to have a new keeper then Begovic is about as good as we could expect to have.

I just think it's madness to be spending the sort of money it will take to sign him when there are so many other areas of the team that need strengthening and given our modest budget (assuming our budget is modest, of course)

Could it be because he made it clear to Stoke he didn't wan't to be there next season and they decided to then let Butland have a go?

For all we know could be the same with Guzan...

Just guessing, not itk

Edited by sne

A loss of confidence can be career-changing for a keeper. One mistake can set them back for years or they may never come back from it.

Certainly Guzan looked unsteady last season, long before that big error that keeps on being mentioned. And a number of goals I thought he would probably have saved in his previous seasons.

The back four, to me, were effected by his obvious anxiety. I also do not think Given or Steer are good enough to take the number 1 spot in the event they are required to do so. It is fine margins with keepers, and buying a keeper who is only even a little better than the one you have can make an important difference.

I think your spot on regarding Begovic,they dropped him at Stoke so Butland could play and they want him number 1 and I agree with sne for all we know Sherwood might not rate Guzan and told him if we sign a keeper he can leave?

Coincidence he was dropped right after a massive blunder against Sunderland then?

Same with guzan?

Probably not.

If i continue my train of thought those mistakes could have been the final drop what caused the managers to think: OK he's maybe not fully committed/focused to us anymore, I'll give someone else a go

Plus Begovic came back in for the last game. Which doesn't make much sense if he was dropped because he's leaving.

Maybe he didn't want to risk anything before the U21 Euros?

Or maybe he just isn't as amazing as everyone thinks he is and was dropped because he was out of form.

Very possible

It happened to Hart, Courtois, Casillas and Guzan so why not Begovic

Not saying we should, I think there are loads of areas, probably 5 or 6 where we should spend money before we focus on goalie.

Also think that Guzans form has deteriorated and that if we can get a new keeper in so be it.

The main thing is that if Tim doesn't rate Guzan, we need a new keeper. Given won't do.

But if Tim spends a high % of our transfer budget on a goalie and fail to strengthen in key areas, then he is a fool

the club owe guzan

he was behind friedel, then the club let his contract run down and, then he was behind given

ill be surprised if he even wants to stay, the fact for the past 2 seasons is that our strikers couldnt score and our defenders couldnt defend, guzan has single handedly kept us up

the club owe guzan

he was behind friedel, then the club let his contract run down and, then he was behind given

ill be surprised if he even wants to stay, the fact for the past 2 seasons is that our strikers couldnt score and our defenders couldnt defend, guzan has single handedly kept us up

Dear oh Dear Edited by Villan81

the club owe guzan

Absolute twaddle. 

• Like 2

He wasn't "dropped" it seems...

Stoke manager Mark Hughes insists goalkeeper Asmir Begovic still has a future at the club despite the Bosnian being left out of the squad last week after stating he did not want to sit on the bench.

Hughes's intention was always to give England Under 21 international Jack Butland a couple of games towards the end of the season and last weekend's defeat at Swansea was the first of those.

However, Begovic's decision to tell the Potters boss he did not want to be a substitute at the Liberty Stadium has only increased speculation about his future at the club.

Hughes insists, however, he is not laying the groundwork for Begovic's departure in the summer, although he admits he cannot say for certain whether the goalkeeper will be at the club next season.

'I have said before it was my intention, if I felt it was appropriate, to give Jack some games and that was what I did,' said the Stoke boss.

'I told Asmir and a number of other players who were not involved in the starting XI.

'He wasn't involved because he felt he should have been and his mind was not focused to be on the bench - which I understood to be honest and I was OK with that.

'People have misinterpreted this and it needs clarification.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3073982/Asmir-Begovic-Stoke-future-despite-refusing-sit-substitutes-bench-Swansea-defeat-insists-Mark-Hughes.html

Â