Brad Guzan

R.Bear

I'd rather have Guzan that Chesney. Chesney is very error prone and lets in soft goals all of which got Guzan in trouble, but Guzan only had a few mistakes. We have a very good keeper, why would we get rid of him?

I don't understand the logic here. Cleverly had terrible matches numerous times this season. Agbonlahor has made a career out of only showing up for 1 out of every 10 matches. Even Benteke looked dreadful this season, but Guzan has 2-3 poor matches in the whole season and is completely out of the picture now? It makes no sense. 

You say he's only had 2-3 poor games, which is fine it's your opinion. But let's turn the question around, how many games can you remember where Brad stood out and saved us this season?

Edited by SikhInTrinity

Even if he can't remember the exact times that Guzan has 'saved us' does that mean he needs replacing? He plays for a team that has finished consistently around the relegation zone yet i'm sure at the very least we can agree he is around 10-12th best keeper in the league.

With our aspiration of becoming a solid mid table side next year we need to be looking at other areas of the field to improve our defensive issues long before we look at Guzan.

Edited by sexbelowsound

Even if he can't remember the exact times that Guzan has 'saved us' does that mean he needs replacing? He plays for a team that has finished consistently around the relegation zone yet i'm sure at the very least we can agree he is around 10-12th best keeper in the league.

With our aspiration of becoming a solid mid table side next year we need to be looking at other areas of the field to improve our defensive issues long before we look at Guzan.

Because there aren't any games where he has saved us which shows how average he is. He's been found out to what level he is. You mention defence, Guzan is part of the problem of that defence, so yes they need replacing.

I don't really look at stats for keepers. It's pretty hard to measure a keeper's ability through stats. But fair enough if the stats back it up.

From what I've seen he's still dropping clangers and he's still shakey in the air and on crosses. That's nothing to do with his time at Arsenal.

Offered a straight swap there's absolutely no way I would swap Guzan for Fabianski. 

This article seems to think everything you've seen is completely wrong, stats-wise:

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/stats-zone-premier-league-goalkeeper-year-201415

In particular:

"Fabianski also has the highest shots-to-saves ratio in the league after David Ospina (who featured for less than half of the season) and Costel Pantilimon (who is really, really tall). He held onto 88 of his 89 catches, a figure that England’s cricket team would do well to copy and one especially helpful for Swansea, following Vorm’s less-than-dominant aerial presence."

• Like 1

Because there aren't any games where he has saved us which shows how average he is. He's been found out to what level he is. You mention defence, Guzan is part of the problem of that defence, so yes they need replacing.

You've just said it again though. He is 'average' but we are a club that is way below average so how does he need replacing? Surely we need to replace the 'below average' players first.

You've just said it again though. He is 'average' but we are a club that is way below average so how does he need replacing? Surely we need to replace the 'below average' players first.

I never said we were below average though. You did, either way for me he needs replacing.

I never said we were below average though. You did, either way for me he needs replacing.

No, you said he was average. Its obvious to everyone we are below average which is my point. We're a 16th-17th place side with a goalkeeper who is considered to be an average Premier League keeper which would make him more than suitable for us at the moment and our realistic aspirations for the coming season.

Edited by sexbelowsound

No, you said he was average. Its obvious to everyone we are below average which is my point. We're a 16th-17th place side with a goalkeeper who is considered to be an average Premier League keeper which would make him more than suitable for us at the moment and our realistic aspirations for the coming season.

That's because you rate him as a 10-12th goalkeeper. I don't, I'd take Heaton over him in a flash.

That's because you rate him as a 10-12th goalkeeper. I don't, I'd take Heaton over him in a flash.

Ok, but aren't we also talking about how much it would cost to replace him as well? Lets say Heaton is a considerable upgrade on Guzan. How much of our transfer budget would we have to spend to get him? 6-7 million? Butland who has hardly played a Premier League game cost Stoke £3.5 million for example.

Point being to improve upon Guzan we're going to have to spend and when there are other others far more pressing it strikes me as a waste of money.

Ok, but aren't we also talking about how much it would cost to replace him as well? Lets say Heaton is a considerable upgrade on Guzan. How much of our transfer budget would we have to spend to get him? 6-7 million? Butland who has hardly played a Premier League game cost Stoke £3.5 million for example.

Point being to improve upon Guzan we're going to have to spend and when there are other others far more pressing it strikes me as a waste of money.

If we have a 10th to 12th goalkeeper surely he would have many suitors. Butland was always an investment for Stoke and a future replacement for Begovic.

Has anyone even said or even insinuated he needs to make world class saves every match to be considered good?

The Neur point seems to be a needless point scoring hyberbolic dig as well. As has been mentioned numerous times, even by the same posters jumping on the backs of those doing it in here at times which is baffling, it is possible to criticse without thinking everything about them is terrible. Not every is black and white as is so often said.

If Sherwood starts Jed Steer then I will definitely start to question his judgment. Guzan has been a steady goalkeeper for us and deserves to be playing.

He can't jed is cup tied so no way will he start.
  • Like 1

Has anyone even said or even insinuated he needs to make world class saves every match to be considered good?

The Neur point seems to be a needless point scoring hyberbolic dig as well. As has been mentioned numerous times, even by the same posters jumping on the backs of those doing it in here at times which is baffling, it is possible to criticse without thinking everything about them is terrible. Not every is black and white as is so often said.

Funnily enough, before 'world class saves' were even mentioned, the OP said 'I can't think of any games where Guzan has saved us this season, therefore he's average'

Isn't that pretty much a black/white approach?

• Like 1

I feel really bad for Guzan, I think he has been treated appallingly. Yes, he hasn't been at his best this season, but the previous two seasons he was a massive factor in keeping us up.

Now the manager seems to be saying that he would rather play a half fit 39 year old in goal than have to pick Guzan. I don't think Sherwood's stance on the goalkeeping position has been at all supportive, and if Given isn't fit enough for the final, Guzan will have to play having not started a game for a month.

• Like 2

how many games can you remember where Brad stood out and saved us this season?

Seeing as this appears to be the only way you can judge goalkeepers, how many times can you say that about Szczesny for the past couple of seasons?

Â