Brad Guzan

R.Bear

I love the Guz myself, however in some way I like the no nonsense approach Sherwood is taking across all positions, no one should feel safe to drop the standard. My only fear is that he will go too far and it will have an adverse effect re: Morale etc.

• Like 1

I love the Guz myself, however in some way I like the no nonsense approach Sherwood is taking across all positions, no one should feel safe to drop the standard. My only fear is that he will go too far and it will have an adverse effect re: Morale etc.

Would it be too easy to call those who lose morale after being dropped "losers"? Perhaps that is what Sherwood was referring to when he mentioned we had too many losers?

dont remember 1 world class match he had last season

West Ham away

Not world class but he was excellent last 20 minutes claiming every cross and dominating the box when we went down to 10 men v Man. United. I do think his standards started slipping from xmas though as we started losing.

• 2 weeks later...

He's not perfect, no keeper is. But there are few players that can come out of last season with any credit to their name. 

Even De Gea who is the flavour of the month and going to Madrid has been duff on a number of occasions.

Guzan has done enough to deserve more respect than he seems to be getting on here.

I say again that I don't understand that as soon as player gets dropped almost all their good form and good work gets forgotten and the hate comes out.

The goalie position is the one of the last positions that need strenghening at the moment.

I got a lot of time for Guzan, top guy and a model professional. Great shot stopper as well.

All he needs is to work on distribution.

dont remember 1 world class match he had last season

I'm not really sure what "world class" means but it's hard to see how any Villa player in any game we played least season could have been anywhere near the sort of standard that is implied by those words.

Guzan just before he was dropped had a few shockers.

Edited by briny_ear

In my opinion Grealish is a great player, and is likely to improve, If however there was a chance of getting Di Maria I would not hesitate replacing Grealish.

Same for our very decent keeper. What is wrong in getting a better one? 

Every player is replaceable, or more accurately, can be improved on.

However, if you listed our squad in order of their value to Villa, then I'd say Delph comes top, followed by Guzan. Benteke wants out and is worth a lot so his sale at least makes some sense for the improvement of the squad as a whole.

Other players are a mixture of good, average and poor but are more easily replaceable than a keeper. If the intention is to improve every position this summer then fine, replace him. But we more urgently need defenders, midfielders and strikers. Hell even more desperately need squad depth than a new keeper. So if improving on Guzan makes any of those less possible it's simply not worth doing.

Improving on Richardson, Hutton, departed Lowton and soon gone Vlaar is VITAL (1 done in Richards)

Improving on departed Cleverley, Sanchez, N'Zogbia is VITAL (no replacements yet)

Improving on departed Bent, Weimann and not goid enough to lead Gabby is VITAL (almost bare bones)

Improving on at least a very adequate keeper (being unkind) is a LUXURY

Think it's frankly ridiculous this is being discussed unless we've money to replace starting XI. And that's ignoring fact he was praised beyond belief most of his time as number 1 and has perhaps had even just one poorer season.

• Like 3

In my opinion Grealish is a great player, and is likely to improve, If however there was a chance of getting Di Maria I would not hesitate replacing Grealish.

Same for our very decent keeper. What is wrong in getting a better one? 

Because it's spending money on a position where we don't need to spend money.

Think about it, let's say we do sign Begovic. Even if you rate Begovic higher than Guzan, I think most of us can agree the difference in their abilities is pretty small.

So we're spending up to £10 million for a slight improvement in goalkeeper. 

I don't see how anyone can not see that as a waste of money. If we've got bucket loads of cash then fair enough. But, whilst I don't know our transfer budget, I can't imagine it's much more than £20-25m (excluding sales). That's a huge chunk of our transfer budget on a very low priority position.

Would you be happy to get Di Maria if he cost £60m and meant we had no money to sign anybody else and had to sell Benteke to fund it?

It's not as simple as saying "Player A is better than Player B so there's no problem"

Edited by Stevo985

Â