Brad Guzan

R.Bear

Guzan is part of the suspect defence though with some areas of his game - distribution and communication to name two. His shot-stopping seems to have dipped somewhat from his usual high standards in the last 12 months too, although he is still more than adequate in that department. Overall I think he can be improved upon.

Guzan is part of the suspect defence though 

So are Clark and Okore.

Of course Guzan can be improved upon. The point is it's a low priority position for us because Guzan is perfectly capable, so to be throwing money at it and spending time looking for replacements is silly, imo.

Spend that money and time sorting out the rest of the team which is in much more urgent need of attention.

But Sherwood appears to not fancy Guzan so that's his prerogative.

So are Clark and Okore.

Of course Guzan can be improved upon. The point is it's a low priority position for us because Guzan is perfectly capable, so to be throwing money at it and spending time looking for replacements is silly, imo.

Spend that money and time sorting out the rest of the team which is in much more urgent need of attention.

Surely your last line shows that for the manager it isn't a low priority target?

So are Clark and Okore.

Surely your last line shows that for the manager it isn't a low priority target?

That much is obvious.

But that's the problem. That was my point.

Calling it a waste of money at this stage is complete guess work, we don't know who we will sign and for how much, nor what we would get for Guzan.

Whatever our opinion of the "priority" if the manager thinks he can improve the side by bringing in another keeper then I'm all for it. Maybe they simply don't get on, or Guzan and the defence don't "click", he was clearly itching to drop him in hindsight.

I've no particular beef with Brad, but something isn't right there is it. In which case it shifts the priority towards high.

• Like 2

Brad Guzan was as sure a bet as we've had in goal since Bosnich. Kind of sad he's going to be shipped out over a few months of subpar form. I'll be sad to see him go.

• Like 2

Assuming we spend more on a new keeper than we receive for Guzan, which if the Begovic rumours are true we almost certainly will, then it's a waste of money.

I get that Sherwood deems it a priority. But I don't agree with him. I'm not as willing to just agree with it just because the manager thinks it's right as some other people are.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

Assuming we spend more on a new keeper than we receive for Guzan, which if the Begovic rumours are true we almost certainly will, then it's a waste of money.

I get that Sherwood deems it a priority. But I don't agree with him. I'm not as willing to just agree with it just because the manager thinks it's right as some other people are.

So if the new keeper comes in and gains us extra an extra 10 points it's still a waste of money?

No one is saying you have to agree with sherwood, what people are discussing is that's it's very flippant to say getting a new keeper is a waste.

• Like 1

So if the new keeper comes in and gains us extra an extra 10 points it's still a waste of money?

No one is saying you have to agree with sherwood, what people are discussing is that's it's very flippant to say getting a new keeper is a waste.

Well no.

But that's a hell of a leap. One that's incredibly unlikely to happen.

A new keeper helping us get more points next year is incredibly unlikely? On what basis?

An extra 10 points.

On the basis that we're unlikely to get a keeper who is 10 points a season better than Brad Guzan.

Asmir Begovic certainly isn't.

• Like 1

For a new keeper to come in and get us 10 points more would also require a new defence and midfield in front of them.

Would rather keep Guzan and use the money to strengthen other, more vital areas

Exactly.

We're more likely to gain extra points by spending the money on areas that require more urgent attention.

Of course, that's assuming all those areas aren't going to be addressed anyway. But as I've said before, the amount of players and money that would require means I'd be very surprised if that was the case.

• Like 2

Â