Confirmed Signing: Shay Given (Man City)

Mr_Dogg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 years we would be able to get out of him. he is a completely different build to that of friedel and van de sar, heavier and more solidly built. he wont be as agile, his body takes more of a beating and keeping the weight off will be harder.

add in an injury which has been on off for a long time and i have my doubts.

a good shot stopper like friedel, but again someone who sticks to his line and hopes the defenders clear the ball instead of coming for it.

it wouldnt be the worst signing, however unless we gave him a 4 year contract i cant see him being interested.

we would be bloody stupid giving someone of that age and injury history a 4 year contract, especially as we will probably have to pay him 50k per week

we are trying to clear away the sick and the lame, especially the ones on high money, we dont need to add to it unless it is a 2 year contract, with the option of a rolling 12 month extension.

oh dear, it looks like i was right about the length of contract we would have to offer, however it is worse than i originally thought.

5 years? really?

REALLY?

so given is going to cost us £16.5 million at the VERY cheapest

and that is saying it is a 50k per week contract and £3.5 million fee

so the younger players we offer short contracts to but a 35 year old who hasnt played for 12 months is offered a 5 year contract?

i would rather we had got foster for £8 million and paid him £30k per week

that would actually work out cheaper AND foster would have a sell on value

at least if given performs to his potential he is a good keeper

A 5 year deal does seem a gamble; if he starts getting perennially injury prone then we're going to look a little naive (again).

That said, he's a top keeper and for £3.5m I think we've got a great deal.

Now for some more, please. We still need a full back, a midfielder and two wingers at the very least, and a replacement for Cuellar if he goes too.