Confirmed Signing: Shay Given (Man City)

Mr_Dogg

Aston Villa are closing in on a £5million deal for Shay Given as manager Alex McLeish prepares to make his first signing since his controversial switch from Birmingham City.

Villa's recently-appointed manager has settled on Given as his preferred choice to replace Brad Friedel and is hopeful Villa's board can agree to match the Republic of Ireland keeper's £85,000-a-week Eastlands wages.

Sportsmail revealed Villa's interest in Given earlier this month. Since then Bolton's Ali Al-Habsi has come under close review, and McLeish has also considered returning to his old club with a bid for Birmingham's former Manchester United keeper Ben Foster.

But Sportsmail understands he has opted for Given and will install him as his new number one. Al-Habsi is expected to turn his loan spell at Wigan into a permanent move, while Foster must now wait and hope another club offer him the opportunity of remaining in the Barclays Premier League, following Birmingham's relegation last season.

Villa will also step up their interest in Wigan's Charles N'Zogbia although Sunderland, Everton and Newcastle remain keen also.

Read more: click

He'd be a good signing if injury free but no way we will pay those wages.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

five million? Absolutely no chance. He's a decent keeper but I'd rather spend that kind of money on someone a hell of a lot younger. And if anyone says that we bought 38 year old Friedel for 3 mill, yes fine, but MON overspent on just about every player he bought!!

as said, injury free and he's a fantastic keeper. i honestly have my doubts whether we'd get more than a couple of years out of him before he retired with his shoulder though

Not a fan, never have been good shot stopper and nothing more. I don't want any more City cast off's (other than Milner) especially one of that age who has spent a year sat on his ass.

Neither would I be impressed at that fee for him.

To conclude, no thanks.

five million? Absolutely no chance. He's a decent keeper but I'd rather spend that kind of money on someone a hell of a lot younger. And if anyone says that we bought 38 year old Friedel for 3 mill, yes fine, but MON overspent on just about every player he bought!!

Pretty sure Brad Friedel weren't on £85,000 a week !

Pretty sure Brad Friedel weren't on £85,000 a week !

Raspberry thingy!! :winkold:

Doesn't matter. This would be shocking business of true.

Not a fan, never have been good shot stopper and nothing more. I don't want any more City cast off's (other than Milner) especially one of that age who has spent a year sat on his ass.

To conclude, no thanks.

i don't often agree with you trent but i do on this occasion

We should look at other teams sub keepers. Most of them are good enough to be number one's and obviously a more cheaper option - if we're tight on funds.

isnt that what we're doing here thought?

i know ill be lynched, but what about gomez. looks like spurs want rid of him. prone to 3-4 absolute stinkers a season, but he's relatively young for a keeper and might sort that out

To conclude, no thanks.

Exactly.

Glad it's not just me that thinks he's actually not that amazingly superb as many think.