Confirmed Signing: Shay Given (Man City)

Mr_Dogg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriosuly, people are winging because weve given him a 5 year deal, get a **** grip man, this guy is a massive coup for the club, hes proven, hes good, every other fan of every other club thinks weve done a top job, BUT NO some avfc fans still have to moan, go support another club!!!

massive thumbs up to avfc for sealing this one in quick fashion, onto the next, lets put that smug whelan in his place!!

Seriosuly, people are winging because weve given him a 5 year deal, get a **** grip man, this guy is a massive coup for the club, hes proven, hes good, every other fan of every other club thinks weve done a top job, BUT NO some avfc fans still have to moan, go support another club!!!

yet another who wants to magically read into other peoples comments and then proclaims to be the worlds greatest supporter while trying to demand people who think for themselves support another club?

grow up

posters are pointing out the risks of paying a 35 year old huge sums of money for 5 years while we are supposedly on a huge cost cutting exercise

you carry on ignoring real life and the real world dream boy

yet another who wants to magically read into other peoples comments and then proclaims to be the worlds greatest supporter while trying to demand people who think for themselves support another club?

grow up

posters are pointing out the risks of paying a 35 year old huge sums of money for 5 years while we are supposedly on a huge cost cutting exercise

Who says the cost cutting isnt finished??

Who says the wage bill isnt now manageable??

Who says that we now cant start again??

There not just going to give him a 5 year deal without good reason, or without good money. Not after whats happened beforehand.

If anything its a major positive that the board believes we can afford that.

It really is just picking faults for the sake of it

grow up

But if he's not working out 2-3 years down the line we can always get rid. He'll still have enough clout to get another club. Especially in Turkey or somewhere; they'd accept his big wages, as well.

Great keeper.

5 years is naive. There's no way of sugar coating that. It defies everything we've been told about contracts being the big financial issue.

Might be answered by this:

Maybe we gave him a 5 year deal to pay him a lower weekly wage. Good way to lower wage budget for fair play rules.

Anyway, cracking signing

I love playing VT jigsaws!

Apparently* Given noted that Friedel and Van der Sar played past 40 and wanted £60k/wk for 7 years, we offered £20k/wk for 3 years; noting the low transfer fee for a good keeper, both parties settled on £40k/wk for 5 years but neither would iron the Goalkeeper shirt at BMH.

* totally made up but as reliable as most quoted sources.

How it could have gone:

Faulkner: "Shay what do you want?"

Given: "3 year deal at 50k per year"

Faulkner: "How about 5 years at 35k per year?"

Given: "Done!"

How it probably went:

Faulkner: "Shay what do you want?"

Given: "3 year deal at 35k per year"

Faulkner: "How about 5 years at 50k per year? and if we sell you I'll be sure to do it before bringing in a replacement so that all the selling clubs will know we are desperate and will hold us to ransom"

Given: "Done! but wow mate, you really are shit at this football business thing."

Faulkner: "I know but I was a damn fine Intern at MBNA my coffee making and photocopying skills are second to none!"

Great signing and to be honest I could give a **** about the length of contract, it aint my money thats been spent.

1st class keeper, proven and extremely well liked in the prem. Welcome to AVFC Mr Given :)