Confirmed Signing: Shay Given (Man City)

Mr_Dogg

hes got a bad shoulder though. we saw with luke moore that a dislocated shoulder can pop out of its own accord seemingly randomly, so its a risk. im sure we wouldnt have given him anything like the deal he's on if it was particularly likely to flare up again though, but you never know

either way, keeper is sorted and that was the big one for us

secondary side of this is that shay is used to playing behind dunne, so that might bring another season like 09/10 out of him

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hes got a bad shoulder though. we saw with luke moore that a dislocated shoulder can pop out of its own accord seemingly randomly, so its a risk. im sure we wouldnt have given him anything like the deal he's on if it was particularly likely to flare up again though, but you never know

secondary side of this is that shay is used to playing behind dunne, so that might bring another season like 09/10 out of him

Sorry mate - i know you are entitled to your say, but that statement is balls.

Luke Moore had a shoulder problem - do you honestly think Aston Villa, with our medical staff and facilities at our disposal would sign a goalkeeper - a position that you are prone to diving about on the floor rather a lot - that has a 'bad' shoulder as you put it

Luke Moore had a shoulder problem - do you honestly think Aston Villa, with our medical staff and facilities at our disposal would sign a goalkeeper - a position that you are prone to diving about on the floor rather a lot - that has a 'bad' shoulder as you put it

did you stop reading after the first sentence?

Come on Villa fans...for godsake....Lets not look at the negatives. I don't know, people complain, complain, complain that we havent signed anyone. They complain we are getting rid of our better players too easily because we are not providing them with longer contracts......Then suddenly, a signing which we were all expecting, finally happens, and what do you know; there is something to be annoyed or moan about. We have just signed in my opinion arguably on the best keepers in the Premiership, if not europe and we are finding ways to knit-pick something that doesn't sit quite well with us. Can't we just be happy we have signed a very hungry, profressional keeper who offers a great presence and is someone who is going to be a fantastic ambassador for our great club. He has taken a wage-cut so the contract was always going to be longer. I was expecting 4 years, but I am more than happy with 5. Contrary to what people think, he is not a keeper that is injury prone, and also goalkeepers can go on until their 40's now....just ask Brad Friedel who is still going...Or Van der Sar who has just retired at the age of 40. Lets just enjoy having him with us....It is a great first signing and for the £3.5m reported to be paid; is a fantastic coup and bargain for the club. For that price, I cannot think of anyone better. Well played RL & AMc for making this happen.

well done mate - thats the post of the day for me - sooooo many doom mongerers

Nope....

But i saw the line ' he's got a bad shoulder though' and instantly thought that the rest of the post cant be as bad as this...and to be fair you pulled it back a bit - doesnt mask how factually incorrect it is though. Shay Given does not have a bad shoulder any more than I have a bad shoulder (which i dont)

I wasn't keen at first, due to the age and the price, but in perspective, we have just signed a cracking keeper for five years for just 3.5 mill. Great deal, great keeper. Well pleased. Well done big mack, keep em coming!!

Nope....

But i saw the line ' but he has a bad shoulder though' and instantly thought that the rest of the post cant be as bad as this...and to be fair you pulled it back a bit - doesnt mask how factually incorrect it is though. Shay Given does not have a bad shoulder any more than I have a bad shoulder (which i dont)

ever dislocated it?

coz theyre notoriously problematic

I don't really care what his contract is, we've signed a quality keeper. We've seen many quality keepers play till they are 40 in recent years including one we've just got rid of.

Given, Dunne and Clark would be the best defensive combo. Not just because they're Irish, but Dunne is a brick and Clark has the technical ability. Collins is too much of liablity to start, but I guess he could be good in the last 20 mins or so if Clark picks up yellow card or something like that.

I'm actually thrilled with the defensive potential here, but it remains to be seen.

Nope....

But i saw the line ' but he has a bad shoulder though' and instantly thought that the rest of the post cant be as bad as this...and to be fair you pulled it back a bit - doesnt mask how factually incorrect it is though. Shay Given does not have a bad shoulder any more than I have a bad shoulder (which i dont)

ever dislocated it?

Can't say I have - but quite frankly, and dont take this the wrong way - i trust some of the best medical staff money can buy over your medical opinion doctor p3te

Nope....

ever dislocated it?

Can't say I have - but quite frankly, and dont take this the wrong way - i trust some of the best medical staff money can buy over your medical opinion doctor p3te

im not saying its a given (no pun intended) that there'll be issues, and as i pointed out he'll have been put through his paces, but it's happened before and it'll happen again where a previous injury gets past a medical

Nope....

ever dislocated it?

I trust they're not the same doctors who failed to notice that a patient with a repaired dissection of the lower aorta has a life expectancy of 10 years on average.

Nope....

ever dislocated it?

im not saying its a given (no pun intended) that there'll be issues, and as i pointed out he'll have been put through his paces, but it's happened before and it'll happen again where a previous injury gets past a medical

Ok, we'll maybe he'll go for a shit and tear his bowel again - then we can blame the medical staff for not spotting it

Every player is at risk of injury - we havent signed a player with a bad shoulder - weve signed a player that once dislocated his shoulder - in the same way that Stewart Downing once had his foot stamped to pieces and hasnt suffered a re-occurence.

I think Given has been a superb keeper, but I cannot understand how Randy can announce through the General and PF that reducing the wage bill is his number one priority at the same time as awarding a five year contract to a thirty five year old player at the top end of our salary scale. I think we all worry that he may struggle to remain fit for even the next two or three seasons.

I worried about the apparent inconsistency in our approach to appointing a new manager, now I'm a little bit concerned about the rationalisation behind our first purchase this summer. If we have a plan let's have it fully explained to us and then let's stick to it.

Come on Villa fans...for godsake....Lets not look at the negatives. I don't know, people complain, complain, complain that we havent signed anyone. They complain we are getting rid of our better players too easily because we are not providing them with longer contracts......Then suddenly, a signing which we were all expecting, finally happens, and what do you know; there is something to be annoyed or moan about. We have just signed in my opinion arguably on the best keepers in the Premiership, if not europe and we are finding ways to knit-pick something that doesn't sit quite well with us. Can't we just be happy we have signed a very hungry, profressional keeper who offers a great presence and is someone who is going to be a fantastic ambassador for our great club. He has taken a wage-cut so the contract was always going to be longer. I was expecting 4 years, but I am more than happy with 5. Contrary to what people think, he is not a keeper that is injury prone, and also goalkeepers can go on until their 40's now....just ask Brad Friedel who is still going...Or Van der Sar who has just retired at the age of 40. Lets just enjoy having him with us....It is a great first signing and for the £3.5m reported to be paid; is a fantastic coup and bargain for the club. For that price, I cannot think of anyone better. Well played RL & AMc for making this happen.

well done mate - thats the post of the day for me - sooooo many doom mongerers

Villa fans always seem to be doom mongerers. It gets me down sometimes. You would think we were languishing in league 1 or something.

Yes we have had great success in our history. It doesn't entitle us to anything. I could even understand if we'd done an Arsenal and were winning titles and FA cups etc until recently but had a drought. The last trophy we wone was the coca-cola cup in 96. Even Middlesborough and the scum have won the league cup more recently, we are in a better position than both of them, now. ffs the last league title we won was three decades ago, eight years before I, and I imagine many on this message board, were born.

I'm not trying to say that our club shouldn't aspire to trophies and higher league placement. But the last 3 seasons we have finished 6th, 6th and 9th and people are acting as if an apocolapse has happened. Not only that but they want to nit-pick every signing and every potential target.

I wasn't over-the-moon when we signed Mcleish, but was always willing to give him a chance. I'm very happy with Given signing. Not a world class keeper, but we aren't a world class club, as it is. The other players we have been linked with (not saying that there is truth to some of them), the likes of N'Zogbia, Parker, Hutton, Vargas etc are all players that will improve our squad and consequently improve our prospects. It's still early in the transfer window.

Let's get a bit more optimistic, shall we? I bet any fan who has followed Leyton Orient for 20 years would be shocked to see some of the doom and gloom on here.