Confirmed Signing: Shay Given (Man City)

Mr_Dogg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pleased about this... good first signing (5 years is a bit of a worry but oh well). Fingers crossed more to follow very soon!! Think he could help the young keepers progress... if they ain't going to improve under BF and SG then they ain't going to make it at all!!!!

5 year contract for Given?

Surprising.

Most expected it to be 3 years.

Does this mean the club have learnt their lesson after having the likes of Downing and Young signed up only 4 year deals?

I think a 5 year deal is fine. We have always traditionally had one experienced keeper and one younger goalkeeper as back up. Hopefully he can help the youngsters, who should have already learnt from Friedel.

Imagine if we gave him a 2 year deal and then in two years he went for free to e.g. Arsenal after showing himself to still be top class. The club would be criticised for that. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Alot more goalkeepers are playing until late thirties and 40 now.

Jeez, some fans are just never ever happy. Whinge that players aren't being given long enough contracts (excuse the pun), & when we finally sign someone who is a top drawer keeper, there are complaints that 5 years in too much. Remind me 'How old is Brad Friedel'? Yes, he is 40 & still playing. Of course, people are going to bring up the fact that Shay Given has fitness issues...Did he have a medical? I think he did. There is always a risk with any player unless there whole career has been hampered with injuries; Given's certainly hasn't. I am not going to moan about him being given a 5 year contract(Oh dear, I did it again)...To me it just shows that we have faith in him & have given him assurances that he is our 'number 1' and this is just the start of a new era. Welcome Shay!!

Very strange to give him a five year deal. I hope there is a clause to reduce his wages if he's not in the first team. I suspect its something to do with him having to take a pay cut from his man city wages