Confirmed Signing: Shay Given (Man City)

Mr_Dogg

Come on Villa fans...for godsake....Lets not look at the negatives. I don't know, people complain, complain, complain that we havent signed anyone. They complain we are getting rid of our better players too easily because we are not providing them with longer contracts......Then suddenly, a signing which we were all expecting, finally happens, and what do you know; there is something to be annoyed or moan about. We have just signed in my opinion arguably on the best keepers in the Premiership, if not europe and we are finding ways to knit-pick something that doesn't sit quite well with us. Can't we just be happy we have signed a very hungry, profressional keeper who offers a great presence and is someone who is going to be a fantastic ambassador for our great club. He has taken a wage-cut so the contract was always going to be longer. I was expecting 4 years, but I am more than happy with 5. Contrary to what people think, he is not a keeper that is injury prone, and also goalkeepers can go on until their 40's now....just ask Brad Friedel who is still going...Or Van der Sar who has just retired at the age of 40. Lets just enjoy having him with us....It is a great first signing and for the £3.5m reported to be paid; is a fantastic coup and bargain for the club. For that price, I cannot think of anyone better. Well played RL & AMc for making this happen.

Couldn't have put it better myself! :D

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on Villa fans...for godsake....Lets not look at the negatives. I don't know, people complain, complain, complain that we havent signed anyone. They complain we are getting rid of our better players too easily because we are not providing them with longer contracts......Then suddenly, a signing which we were all expecting, finally happens, and what do you know; there is something to be annoyed or moan about. We have just signed in my opinion arguably on the best keepers in the Premiership, if not europe and we are finding ways to knit-pick something that doesn't sit quite well with us. Can't we just be happy we have signed a very hungry, profressional keeper who offers a great presence and is someone who is going to be a fantastic ambassador for our great club. He has taken a wage-cut so the contract was always going to be longer. I was expecting 4 years, but I am more than happy with 5. Contrary to what people think, he is not a keeper that is injury prone, and also goalkeepers can go on until their 40's now....just ask Brad Friedel who is still going...Or Van der Sar who has just retired at the age of 40. Lets just enjoy having him with us....It is a great first signing and for the £3.5m reported to be paid; is a fantastic coup and bargain for the club. For that price, I cannot think of anyone better. Well played RL & AMc for making this happen.

I'm sorry but isn't that just a post saying, "For god's sake don't hold any other opinion than I do."

You're absolutely fine with the signing, other people aren't.

You aren't just, however, giving your opinion of the benefits of the signing but you're also saying that other people's doubts are a problem.

Now it's fair enough to explain why you think the opinions which don't align with your's are incorrect but to exhort along the lines of 'let's not look at the negatives'; 'people complain, complain, complain' and ' We have just signed in my opinion arguably on the best keepers in the Premiership, if not europe and we are finding ways to knit-pick...' is a rather extraordinary position to take when we are on a forum which discusses people's opinions of things Villa.

For my input, I think Given's a cracking keeper and, as I said previously in the thread, I hope he does well here and I welcome him to the club. I would, however, be intersted to know the details of the move (not what is reported) and do think it's a fair bit of a gamble - I also question the 5 year contract thing which seems a bit of a step away from the norm (it may signal a change in direction but I'll wait for further evidence of that).

I think Given has been a superb keeper, but I cannot understand how Randy can announce through the General and PF that reducing the wage bill is his number one priority at the same time as awarding a five year contract to a thirty five year old player at the top end of our salary scale. I think we all worry that he may struggle to remain fit for even the next two or three seasons.

I worried about the apparent inconsistency in our approach to appointing a new manager, now I'm a little bit concerned about the rationalisation behind our first purchase this summer. If we have a plan let's have it fully explained to us and then let's stick to it.

I apologize in advance for personalizing my comment but that seems to be, at the very least, a change in tone from you?

Everyones entitled to an opinion but pretty much any way you look at it he's about the most reputable goalkeeper we could have possibly signed.

Big thumbs up from me though he could always turn out to be a poor

signing (not likely in my opinion).

When all is said and done, Shay Given is our new number one. I for one am pleased as punch with that.

The 5 year contract, I'm not pleased with. Why? Because the club have been spouting on about how contracts are holding us back then they go and spin a 5 year one on no doubt a seriously good wage to a 35 year old man. 'Keeper or not, that's akin to giving Scott Parker a 5 year deal, which would seem a bit nutso too no? If you can't see why it's puzzling and at best naive, then you've not been paying attention IMO.

However, as I said, it's bloody Shay Given. I'll have forgotten about the contract length soon enough and I'm delighted he's here. Wonderful player, one of the very best.

kick in the dentures for Guzan but lets move on

a fit Shay Given is as good a keeper as is out there, 35 - 40 years old, a keeper in his prime IMO

just needs to stay fit

I'm sorry but isn't that just a post saying, "For god's sake don't hold any other opinion than I do."

You're absolutely fine with the signing, other people aren't.

You aren't just, however, giving your opinion of the benefits of the signing but you're also saying that other people's doubts are a problem.

Now it's fair enough to explain why you think the opinions which don't align with your's are incorrect but to exhort along the lines of 'let's not look at the negatives'; 'people complain, complain, complain' and ' We have just signed in my opinion arguably on the best keepers in the Premiership, if not europe and we are finding ways to knit-pick...' is a rather extraordinary position to take when we are on a forum which discusses people's opinions of things Villa.

For my input, I think Given's a cracking keeper and, as I said previously in the thread, I hope he does well here and I welcome him to the club. I would, however, be intersted to know the details of the move (not what is reported) and do think it's a fair bit of a gamble - I also question the 5 year contract thing which seems a bit of a step away from the norm (it may signal a change in direction but I'll wait for further evidence of that).

Firstly mate, this is a forum....And I agree that everyone is entitled to their opinion. Where did I ever state that only my opinion counts. Jesus, it would be a sad state of affairs if we all agreed all the time. Life is about opinions. I am fine with that. What annoys me the most is we sign someone who has been on the cards for some time & I come on this board expecting to see positive reactions only for people to be questioning once again Randy Lerners thinking behind this. Can't we just have a little bit of optimism, it isn't a lot to ask is it? I'm sure I will get slated by you again snowychap....so be it.

Couldn't have put it better myself! :D

Cheers matey.

well done mate - thats the post of the day for me - sooooo many doom mongerers

Indeed. I'm all for opinions. This is just the start in which the rebuilding begins & I am being optimisic about what the future holds for us.

I think Given has been a superb keeper, but I cannot understand how Randy can announce through the General and PF that reducing the wage bill is his number one priority at the same time as awarding a five year contract to a thirty five year old player at the top end of our salary scale. I think we all worry that he may struggle to remain fit for even the next two or three seasons.

I worried about the apparent inconsistency in our approach to appointing a new manager, now I'm a little bit concerned about the rationalisation behind our first purchase this summer. If we have a plan let's have it fully explained to us and then let's stick to it.

Whilst most football clubs have some kind of plan, I don't think any would fully explain it to their fans. Too much rope...

I would never expect to know all the facts regarding a private contract but -

Perhaps Given accepted a lower salary for a longer period to suit Villa's aim of reducing the yearly wage total? Villa get a great keeper for a relatively modest salary in years 1 to 3 but take a calculated risk on his performance and fitness in years 4 and 5.

Firstly mate, this is a forum....And I agree that everyone is entitled to their opinion. Where did I ever state that only my opinion counts. Jesus, it would be a sad state of affairs if we all agreed all the time. Life is about opinions. I am fine with that. What annoys me the most is we sign someone who has been on the cards for some time & I come on this board expecting to see positive reactions only for people to be questioning once again Randy Lerners thinking behind this. Can't we just have a little bit of optimism, it isn't a lot to ask is it? I'm sure I will get slated by you again snowychap....so be it.

So, everyone is entitled to an opinion and your opinion isn't the only one that counts and you are fine with that; yet we sign someone 'who has been on the cards for some time' ( with a bit of comment of people being unsure about the signing before it happened, I believe) and you come on to the board expecting to see positive reaction only to question people's opinion of the signing (other people's opinion - as it isn't your opinion - which is something which you say people are entitled to and you are fine with and this is a forum and it would be a sad state of affairs if everyone agreed, &c.).

I'm only questioning your comments because they, again, seem to say, "I'm disappointed (and more) that not everyone is as optimistic about this signing as I am."

Indeed. I'm all for opinions.

The evidence would suggest only those which coincide with your opinion.

I apologize in advance for personalizing my comment but that seems to be, at the very least, a change in tone from you?

I'm still the same optimistic fan Snowy, but I'm a tad confused by the events of the last few weeks. I liked Houllier and what I thought were his plans for Villa and was saddened but not surprised by his health relapse.

I understood our interest in Martinez because it was an indication that Randy intended to further GH's plans if he could. I was gobsmacked by our boards about face in employing Alex McLeish not just because of the possibility of fan unrest this season, but because AM's footballing pedigree up till now is probably the opposite end of the spectrum to Houllier's. AM is a good bloke and more importantly is now the Villa manager so he has my unequivocable support.

My current concerns are based on my understanding of Randy's position with regards to the financing of Aston Villa. Given is a good keeper and I would welcome him on a two year contract with a years option, because it would fit in with what I perceive to be Randy's plan, but to award a top earning 35 year old a five year contract makes me wonder how we proceed from here. If it's fine to pay Given 10/12 million in wages at his age how do we explain to the players like N'Zogbia that money is limited when it comes to trying to entice them to Villa?

You're right Snowy it is "a change in tone from me," :lol: but I'm still 100% Villa even if I'm scratching my head at this moment in time.

Headspin...Do you know what, think what you want mate. It doesn't bother me in the slightest. You seem to be confusing yourself mate. As much as I would like to go around in circles with you on who's opinion means more which u seem to think I think is my own, I have a very important meeting tomorrow and I need to prepare. At the end of the day my post was NEVER intended to imply only my opnion counts, if you think that; well fair play. Good for you. All I was suggesting was for just today, maybe people could actually look past all the contract issues. Goodnight Snowy.

I'm still the same optimistic fan Snowy, but I'm a tad confused by the events of the last few weeks. I liked Houllier and what I thought were his plans for Villa and was saddened but not surprised by his health relapse.

I understood our interest in Martinez because it was an indication that Randy intended to further GH's plans if he could. I was gobsmacked by our boards about face in employing Alex McLeish not just because of the possibility of fan unrest this season, but because AM's footballing pedigree up till now is probably the opposite end of the spectrum to Houllier's. AM is a good bloke and more importantly is now the Villa manager so he has my unequivocable support.

My current concerns are based on my understanding of Randy's position with regards to the financing of Aston Villa. Given is a good keeper and I would welcome him on a two year contract with a years option, because it would fit in with what I perceive to be Randy's plan, but to award a top earning 35 year old a five year contract makes me wonder how we proceed from here. If it's fine to pay Given 10/12 million in wages at his age how do we explain to the players like N'Zogbia that money is limited when it comes to trying to entice them to Villa?

You're right Snowy it is "a change in tone from me," :lol: but I'm still 100% Villa even if I'm scratching my head at this moment in time.

I think that's all fair enough and appears very sound thinking to me.

I have some sympathy with your confusion and believe that they are valid concerns.

It's interesting to hear your thoughts on the subject and I share both the worry about the contract length (and what may follow) and the opinion that Shay Given's a good 'keeper.

Let's hope he performs well enough to justify all of the decisions.

I think that's all fair enough and appears very sound thinking to me.

I have some sympathy with your confusion and believe that they are valid concerns.

It's interesting to hear your thoughts on the subject and I share both the worry about the contract length (and what may follow) and the opinion that Shay Given's a good 'keeper.

Let's hope he performs well enough to justify all of the decisions.

:thumb:

the 5 year contract is a risk. If it pays of weve got a great keeper for 5 years. If it doesn't we've got an expensive player making no impact in the latter stages of his career. Its a risk randy has decided to take and i can understand why he has taken it

The contract isn't a sticking point for me.. I mean we could sign anyone for 5 years, we could even sign someone that has gone through his entire playing career never getting injured once. The first game he plays for us he completely tears his achilles tendon and never fully recovers. Signing players is a risk no matter who it is.