Confirmed Signing: Shay Given (Man City)

Mr_Dogg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that he was given a 5 yr contract AND knowing how prone he is to injury is the thing that rally surpised me, not really the age thing imo.

It does speak volumes when other fans are congratulating us on a signing, makes a change I suppose (not that I care what they think anyway)

The fact that he was given a 5 yr contract AND knowing how prone he is to injury is the thing that rally surpised me, not really the age thing imo.

It does speak volumes when other fans are congratulating us on a signing, makes a change I suppose (not that I care what they think anyway)

I don't understand this 'injury prone' talk. He made over 60 appearances in 2 seasons at City before Hart became number one.

Really pleased with this signing. He is easily amongst the top half dozen keepers in the Premiership.

If we can bring in three or four outfield players of this calibre then I'm sure we'll all be happy going in to the new season.

I think people are getting too hung up on the wages thing. I think the plan was to only get rid of the crap who were been payed way too much money. Just my opinion of course. If we were that bothered about not paying anything, we wouldn't have offered newer and bigger contracts t o the 2 players who have just left.

I think people are getting too hung up on the wages thing. I think the plan was to only get rid of the crap who were been payed way too much money. Just my opinion of course. If we were that bothered about not paying anything, we wouldn't have offered newer and bigger contracts t o the 2 players who have just left.

I for one am delighted with this signing. As good, if not a lot better than Friedel and a very respected name. I think we have one of the best keepers in the business on our books. Credit where it's due to Mr.Lerner, Faulkner and McLeish on pulling this one out of the bag. 3.5m is a steal regardless of the contract. I'm sorry but that contract tells me Given has a long future at the club even in to a coaching capacity which can only be good for our future.

We need to stop looking for negatives, let's look forward to the season with a safe pair of hands between the sticks! Good Luck Given.

Five year deal! Must be honest, I'm pleased with the signing but five years in huge!! Good to see we are starting to tie players down with mong deals these days. I think Bent was a similar deal too wasn't it? Delph as well with four more years.

People keep raising the prone to injury tag. It's completely untrue

Discounting last season when he was dropped Shay Given has averaged 40 games per season in all competitions over the past 10 seasons

Not a record I would normally associate with injury prone

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shay_Given#Career_statistics

the three seasons from 2006-9 don't look great there. Three consecutive seasons of reduced appearances is why Given has a reputation for being injury prone.

Now he might turn out to be a great signing, but I reckon his shoulder is dodgy, and there's a 50/50 chance he'll **** it again. If he doesn't, then it's a great gamble, if he does then we have to hope Guzan steps up.

On balance, this is a good signing, because there wasn't much else out there to choose from, but there is a big chance this will go wrong.

Given is a great signing for us. Not a world class keeper, as some seem to think. But he only has the exact same problems as Friedal has, i.e his command of the area isn't top notch, but he's arguably a better shot stopper and he's younger. I, personally, think we've upgraded our keeper. That can't be a bad thing.

People keep raising the prone to injury tag. It's completely untrue

Discounting last season when he was dropped Shay Given has averaged 40 games per season in all competitions over the past 10 seasons

Not a record I would normally associate with injury prone

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shay_Given#Career_statistics

the three seasons from 2006-9 don't look great there. Three consecutive seasons of reduced appearances is why Given has a reputation for being injury prone.

Now he might turn out to be a great signing, but I reckon his shoulder is dodgy, and there's a 50/50 chance he'll **** it again. If he doesn't, then it's a great gamble, if he does then we have to hope Guzan steps up.

On balance, this is a good signing, because there wasn't much else out there to choose from, but there is a big chance this will go wrong.

He missed a hell of a lot of games with a quite serious injury to his bowel

That isnt being injury prone - an average of 40 games per season in 10 years isnt imjury prone. Thats normally a tag you give to Ledley King, Woodgate, Kieron Dyer, Owen Hargreaves, Michael Owen - Shay Given isnt injury prone. Big chance it could go wrong?? I dont understand your reasoning - any transfer could go wrong - every player is one game away from a career ending injury

Come on Villa fans...for godsake....Lets not look at the negatives. I don't know, people complain, complain, complain that we havent signed anyone. They complain we are getting rid of our better players too easily because we are not providing them with longer contracts......Then suddenly, a signing which we were all expecting, finally happens, and what do you know; there is something to be annoyed or moan about. We have just signed in my opinion arguably on the best keepers in the Premiership, if not europe and we are finding ways to knit-pick something that doesn't sit quite well with us. Can't we just be happy we have signed a very hungry, profressional keeper who offers a great presence and is someone who is going to be a fantastic ambassador for our great club. He has taken a wage-cut so the contract was always going to be longer. I was expecting 4 years, but I am more than happy with 5. Contrary to what people think, he is not a keeper that is injury prone, and also goalkeepers can go on until their 40's now....just ask Brad Friedel who is still going...Or Van der Sar who has just retired at the age of 40. Lets just enjoy having him with us....It is a great first signing and for the £3.5m reported to be paid; is a fantastic coup and bargain for the club. For that price, I cannot think of anyone better. Well played RL & AMc for making this happen.