Confirmed Signing: Shay Given (Man City)

Mr_Dogg

Great signing, and better than Friedel. If he is realistically going to be our No 1 for the next 5 years (and he is good enough) why not give him a 5 years contract?

A good start by Alex McLeish.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cracking signing and one of the best keepers in the league.

Just listening to TS and lots of fans of other clubs agree this is a coup for us (especially gooners)

I always used to think he was rock solid.....shot-stopper extraordinaire. And nothings changed, only the fact that he's hitting prime years for a goalie. Fosters good, but has a way to go and much experience to gain. Given has a very good pedigree, both at club and international level and has been kept out of the side by arguably the best keeper in England. I feel we could have a formidable defence once more.

5 year contract? Not arsed about it really and if our goal difference radically shows a distinct leaning to the 'for' over the next 2-3 seasons, then it will be neither here nor there.

I'll never work out many of the supporters of this football club. Moaned for weeks that we didnt have a goalkeeper - we sign a real top class goalkeeper - one of the very, very best in he business - and people moan about the length of the contract. It's **** unbelievable

I'll never work out many of the supporters of this football club. Moaned for weeks that we didnt have a goalkeeper - we sign a real top class goalkeeper - one of the very, very best in he business - and people moan about the length of the contract. It's **** unbelievable

It's because people love the club and want everything in favour of the club.

My opinion is that it's a great signing and i'm not bothered about the length of contract.

But i can understand that view.

My opinion is that it's a great signing and i'm not bothered about the length of contract.

I can't

It's an utterly bizarre view to have.

Really pleased with this....best keeper we could have got I think (maybe Foster but too expensive)...unlucky due to Joe Hart's emergence at City (which ironically was down to his year on loan at Birmingham under McLeish)

i dont think anyone would have cared in the slightest about the length of the contract or how much he was getting paid until we were told that we cant sign new players until we clear away people on large contracts on lots of money.

so while previously i think 99% of fans would be happy without question, there is clearly now a question of is it going to stop others being signed?

£16.5 million at least given will have cost, thats a lot of money

none of us know if it will be a good or bad move but to not even question the length of the contract bearing in mind our financial restrictions is at best a tad naive

philwhitters wrote:

Quote:

i dont think anyone would have cared in the slightest about the length of the contract or how much he was getting paid until we were told that we cant sign new players until we clear away people on large contracts on lots of money.

so while previously i think 99% of fans would be happy without question, there is clearly now a question of is it going to stop others being signed?

£16.5 million at least given will have cost, thats a lot of money

none of us know if it will be a good or bad move but to not even question the length of the contract bearing in mind our financial restrictions is at best a tad naive

Agreed.

It's great when someone explains the thought behind peoples worries/concerns.

Top man!

Noticed people saying 5 years is a long contract

1. Goalkeepeers are playing till 40s and beyond now

2. im sure there will be away to turn this into a player/coach deal in 4 years. If needs be

3. Its avfc we have to get our moneys worth we have spent a huge 3.5 mil