Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

As a kid, if you went round your friends houses to play, the family of the house you were invited to would eat, but NOT make you food? 

Not in my circle. I know we are pretty reserved, a bit miserable and like to keep a distance of 3 meters at all times, but that sounds like a myth.

Feeding people visiting (unless they decline) is more of a rule in my book.

@sne @NoelVilla @El Zen @Pelle Any different views?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Tegis said:

Not in my circle. I know we are pretty reserved, a bit miserable and like to keep a distance of 3 meters at all times, but that sounds like a myth.

Not in my circle either but I have heard people tell it was so, but I think it was not often and like you say, it have more become an urban myth.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Tegis said:

No, same experience as you. Always invited to eat with the family. Always. The opposite would be seen as both weird and rude.

• Thanks 1

Feeding people just encourages them to come back and use your electricity and breathe your air

If you feed people that pop around, it's like feeding the neighbours cat because you want to steal it

(I don't really think this)

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Tegis said:

Think it might have happened maybe once, maybe. But as far as I remember you always got food. And My parents always asked my friends.

1 hour ago, Tegis said:

My mother's cousin who lives close by, and therefore thought of as more an Aunt by me and my siblings, has a similar rule with one small but significant difference - feeding people although they declined. In some cases, when I had already eaten in that house on that very day, 15 minutes earlier.

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

So I asume this is where @lapal_fangot the question from...

w0ygo4r5fl291.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

What a load of shite that is

No, I saw a screencap of a whatsapp group with someone telling a story of sleeping over their friends house, their friend woke up, went downstairs and the other person waited 20 mins.  When they did eventually go down the family were eating breakfast.  Then a few people said that the same had happened to them, but they went round to play at their house at dinner time.  Their mate went off, after a period of time, they went down and saw the family eating dinner without them :lol: 

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

I defy anyone to visit my parents and leave without either having had food, or being given food to take on their journey home.

They have an emergency cupboard of giftable biscuits and sweets as an absolute last resort if people have refused full meals or a sandwich or cakes.

Well yes quite, not once did I ever visit a relative in wales and not be offered at least a cup of tea and a welsh cake or barra brith at the very least.

• Like 1

Maybe not be offered food (if they're even classing biscuits as such) but for the host to eat a meal and not offer the visitor a plate? Nah come on that'd never happen 

From what I experienced here ze germans will almost definitley make a cake for guests, coffee and cake afternoons 

I had a mate once who lived down Kings Heath. One night I was staying over playing Fifa on the mega drive and he nips out for a while and comes back with a full plate of spag bol and proceeds to eat it as we continue playing. About 20 minutes later his mom pops his head round the door and says "it's a shame you don't like spaghetti." The nobber had obviously just lied to his mom. Plus, she could have offered an alternative like a sandwich or something, but no. Didn't go back again.

Blues fan.

Mate.

• Haha 3

I do have one slight exception. My son almost daily has friends over, and I’ll happily serve them food if we’re having lunch or dinner while they’re here.

However, occassionally one of the kids on our street will ring the door while we’re in the middle of dinner. If we have more food left, it’s theirs, but if we don’t, absolutely no way am I interrupting dinner to cook more. In that case, the guest is kindly asked to wait in my son’s room while we finish eating. 

Am I wrong? 

9 hours ago, El Zen said:

I do have one slight exception. My son almost daily has friends over, and I’ll happily serve them food if we’re having lunch or dinner while they’re here.

However, occassionally one of the kids on our street will ring the door while we’re in the middle of dinner. If we have more food left, it’s theirs, but if we don’t, absolutely no way am I interrupting dinner to cook more. In that case, the guest is kindly asked to wait in my son’s room while we finish eating. 

Am I wrong? 

If the meal has commenced I think you're in the clear. If you have extra you can offer it, but I'd say there's no obligation to give them food in that scenario

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â