Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

Just now, AVFC_Hitz said:

Did you find that out after contracting something from your wallet?

No, glandular fever when I was about 13

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, brommy said:

Some people must be though, for the question to be asked.

It's actually really rare, thought to be about 2% of the population, but the consequences are so serious it's worth the caution.

Interestingly, it's estimated that 90% of UK patients who have a penicillin allergy on  their drug record aren't actually allergic - diarrhoea and nausea are just side effects of antibiotics, so many people take penicillin, have those effects, report an allergy, and it's being reported as an allergy instead of just the side effect of the drug.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It's actually really rare, thought to be about 2% of the population, but the consequences are so serious it's worth the caution.

Interestingly, it's estimated that 90% of UK patients who have a penicillin allergy on  their drug record aren't actually allergic - diarrhoea and nausea are just side effects of antibiotics, so many people take penicillin, have those effects, report an allergy, and it's being reported as an allergy instead of just the side effect of the drug.

Yeah that wasn’t me, it was very odd, the penicillin cured the glandular fever but replicated the symptoms, so it appeared I wasn’t getting better, doctor sussed it after about 2 weeks. Stopped taking the penicillin and suddenly started to get better without any antibiotics.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

Yeah that wasn’t me, it was very odd, the penicillin cured the glandular fever but replicated the symptoms, so it appeared I wasn’t getting better, doctor sussed it after about 2 weeks. Stopped taking the penicillin and suddenly started to get better without any antibiotics.

I wasn't sassing you :D  Nasty business when it's a real allergy.

My partner has a severe peanut allergy - has been hospitalised twice due to it, carries around 2 epipens, just a whiff of the dust in the air can cause anaphylaxis, and we have to deal with eye-rolls on flights because of people who claim to have an allergy because they once had a bit of a cough or sneezed when they ate a peanut.

Has anyone else noticed that nearly everywhere (maybe it is everywhere) you go to eat these days asks or warns about allergies. That was never a thing a few years ago. 

Brother, I've spent 15 years eating horse and green doner meat when I've been pissed, don't worry about dropping a prawn in my dinner, I think I'll be alright.

2 hours ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

Did you find that out after contracting something from your wallet?

He put his shoulder out picking it up though. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, T-Dog said:

Has anyone else noticed that nearly everywhere (maybe it is everywhere) you go to eat these days asks or warns about allergies. That was never a thing a few years ago. 

Brother, I've spent 15 years eating horse and green doner meat when I've been pissed, don't worry about dropping a prawn in my dinner, I think I'll be alright.

It's obviously not for you then.

Just now, Mr_Dogg said:

It's obviously not for you then.

Point was more about how it's only become a thing in recent years - not having a food allergy. I'm sure food allergies have been around forever, whereas I went out a month or so ago and they asked me the question before they'd even took me to the table, and then when I ordered too. That's never been the usual protocol.

Related to the allergy talk, I often wonder if it's only in the west people have a lot of allergies. In Asia you never really see warnings on food packaging, meals don't list ingredients and I've just never heard people talk about it, certainly never known anyone with a food allergy in Asia. 

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, T-Dog said:

Point was more about how it's only become a thing in recent years - not having a food allergy. I'm sure food allergies have been around forever, whereas I went out a month or so ago and they asked me the question before they'd even took me to the table, and then when I ordered too. That's never been the usual protocol.

Usual protocol I believe is for the diner to alert the waiter / restaurant to their food allergy. That sounds like overkill (no pun intended). 

Edited by Jon

22 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Me. 

21 hours ago, sidcow said:

Me

20 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Me.

It’s all “me, me, me” isn’t it?

or was it just that you’re creating a meme?

12 hours ago, T-Dog said:

I think it's since that girl died due to a sesame allergy from a Pret baguette on a plane.  It got massive attention in the news so I guess everywhere is shit-scared of the publicity if something did go wrong.

2 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I think it's since that girl died due to a sesame allergy from a Pret baguette on a plane.  It got massive attention in the news so I guess everywhere is shit-scared of the publicity if something did go wrong.

Trying to avoid lawsuits. Restaurants often put random stuff on their dishes that they don't list on the menu. If someone had a reaction to something they hadn't advertised they'd likely be liable.

Not something I wonder necessarily but a thought I sometimes have.

Imagine if alcohol hadn't existed until now but that it was introduced as a product this year. So you can now go to Lidl and buy a bottle of wine for £3.50. 

If you drink one of these bottles, legally you cant drive or work for the next 20 hours. Youll become aggressive, emotional, might suffer memory loss, sickness, headaches etc. £3.50 haha. 

It just makes me think how ridiculous alcohol is in general. Surely it'll be phased out like cigarettes at some point. 

11 minutes ago, turvontour said:

So you can now go to Lidl and buy a bottle of wine for £3.50. 

If you drink one of these bottles, legally you cant drive or work for the next 20 hours.

What? Where did the 20 hours come from. 1 unit per hour plus 1 hour. Average bottle of wine is around 10 units. Also the limit is around 2 units so in effect 9 hours

• Like 1

The allergy information thing was brought in by the EU, I'm not sure if the UK have the same type of requirements of their own choosing or adapted it before Brexit but if it saves one life it's worth it.

Â