Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

2 minutes ago, AV82 said:

Strange that, I can view my post count, and everyone else's, just fine.

It was the actual post count that was missing, it was the icon that displays next to your avatar. 

It’s showing now anyway, Limpid fixed it 👍🏻

• Like 1

This isn't a thing I often wonder, just something I'm wondering right now.

So a mate of mine is an artist. Paintings and that. He's just spent the weekend staying at mine and wandering around town with his paints. He gets in last night and shows me what he's done. All very nice, little paintings about the size of a large postcard. As he's leaving, he chucks a couple in my kitchen bin, saying they weren't up to his usual standard. 

His work goes for decent money, the larger pieces are worth several grand. 

So the dilemma is, do I retrieve them from the bin and keep them or do I respect his decision that they aren't good enough?

1 minute ago, choffer said:

So the dilemma is, do I retrieve them from the bin and keep them or do I respect his decision that they aren't good enough?

I'd keep them. 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, choffer said:

This isn't a thing I often wonder, just something I'm wondering right now.

So a mate of mine is an artist. Paintings and that. He's just spent the weekend staying at mine and wandering around town with his paints. He gets in last night and shows me what he's done. All very nice, little paintings about the size of a large postcard. As he's leaving, he chucks a couple in my kitchen bin, saying they weren't up to his usual standard. 

His work goes for decent money, the larger pieces are worth several grand. 

If you keep for your house, you can never have him over again.

This feels like a George Costanza dilemma.

22 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

If you keep for your house, you can never have him over again.

This feels like a George Costanza dilemma.

This is exactly the concern. He's an occasional visitor so I wouldn't be able to put them up. I'll just stick them in a drawer and when his work starts to get proper famous, I'll send a proxy to Christies with them and see what we get. 

Edited by choffer
To confirm I'm deffo keeping them. :)

35 minutes ago, choffer said:

This is exactly the concern. He's an occasional visitor so I wouldn't be able to put them up. I'll just stick them in a drawer and when his work starts to get proper famous, I'll send a proxy to Christies with them and see what we get. 

Has he signed them?

16 minutes ago, bickster said:

Has he signed them?

No but I can just copy his signature off some other pieces of his. A sharpie will do the trick, I'm sure. ;)

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, choffer said:

Couldn't you just tell him that you saw them in the bin, really liked them and wanted to keep them? That it would be nice to be able to display something your mate made whilst staying with you. 

He can't exactly object and if he does then you can always just keep them in the drawer. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Couldn't you just tell him that you saw them in the bin, really liked them and wanted to keep them? That it would be nice to be able to display something your mate made whilst staying with you. 

He can't exactly object and if he does then you can always just keep them in the drawer. 

That’s pretty much what I told him. He suggested that they were well below his usual standard that he wanted them binned but when I see him next month he’s going to bring me a good one. So I bin the sub-par ones and get a nice one in return. Feels like a win. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, choffer said:

That’s pretty much what I told him. He suggested that they were well below his usual standard that he wanted them binned but when I see him next month he’s going to bring me a good one. So I bin the sub-par ones and get a nice one in return. Feels like a win. 

Result. I'd be happy to bin the sub par ones for you if you send them my way.

:trollface:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, choffer said:

Take the substandard ones out, apply some painted 'fixes' to them and mount them in pride of place so that when he comes round next time you can show him how you've brought his rubbish paintings up to standard 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, choffer said:

Make sure he signs them. 

• Like 1

Does @Hornso enjoy updating the loans thread or is it a millstone around his neck at this stage? Also how long does he take doing it each week?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BOF said:

Does @Hornso enjoy updating the loans thread or is it a millstone around his neck at this stage? Also how long does he take doing it each week?

I went in for the first time about 4 days ago.

Absolutely aghast.

best thread innit? Surely!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Take the substandard ones out, apply some painted 'fixes' to them and mount them in pride of place so that when he comes round next time you can show him how you've brought his rubbish paintings up to standard 🙂

What can go wrong? 

image.png.85fb842a125575c5e7676cd89be0e001.png

Â