Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

4 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

In this land of no aircon it would make sense that you get very hot on a hot day when sat indoors.

But why, oh why, is it even hotter at night when the air outside is cooler than it was in the day?

In the day time your part of the earth is, by definition, facing the sun. As such the gravitational pull of the sun basically pulls the skin of the earth closer to it. By default, this pulls the skin or crust of the earth further away from our throbbing hot metallic core.

At night, facing away from the sun, the crust relaxes, flops back down closer to the molten core and the heat comes from underneath you.

This gives the impression of heat stored in the dense building materials during the day, being released at night.

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

In the day time your part of the earth is, by definition, facing the sun. As such the gravitational pull of the sun basically pulls the skin of the earth closer to it. By default, this pulls the skin or crust of the earth further away from our throbbing hot metallic core.

At night, facing away from the sun, the crust relaxes, flops back down closer to the molten core and the heat comes from underneath you.

This gives the impression of heat stored in the dense building materials during the day, being released at night.

that-sounds-reasonable-emily-hampshire.g

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

In this land of no aircon it would make sense that you get very hot on a hot day when sat indoors.

But why, oh why, is it even hotter at night when the air outside is cooler than it was in the day?

When Percy and Mary Shelley went with Byron for their Italian jaunt (where she wrote Frankenstein for a bet), the locals were bemused by the stupid Brits' behaviour. Not only did they sit out in the midday sun and ended up looking like tomatoes, they kept the house windows and shutters closed at night, and left them open all day. When any Mediterranean resident could have told them that the idea was to do the exact opposite - keep them closed all day to keep the sun out, and throw them open at night to let the cooler air in. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

When any Mediterranean resident could have told them that the idea was to do the exact opposite - keep them closed all day to keep the sun out, and throw them open at night to let the cooler air in. 

yep , learnt that when i lived in Hungary and we frequently had 100 degree temperatures in the summer 

shame i didn't learn not to go out for a 5 mile run in it every day  , but that's another story

(my running route was around Margaret Island , home of women sunbathing in nothing but G-strings , wouldn't see that at night time :) ) 

Edited by tonyh29

4 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Because our homes are designed to keep heat inside?

3 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

yep , learnt that when i lived in Hungary and we frequently had 100 degree temperatures in the summer 

shame i didn't learn not to go out for a 5 mile run in it every day  , but that's another story

(my running route was around Margaret Island , home of women sunbathing in nothing but G-strings , wouldn't see that at night time :) ) 

100 degrees? That’s boiling!

On the subject, my flat is so so **** hot.

I know everyone is warm in weather like this, and I don't complain about the weather, I like it hot.

But we must have the best insulated flats in the world. We never have to have the heating on, even in the winter. And at the moment it's just unbearable, it was 28 degrees in the flat yesterday. I've had to invest in a proper high end fan this year with the new baby as don't want to risk him overheating

I assumed it’s because our houses are designed to retain heat, once it’s in they do a decent job of not letting it escape (although insulate Britain might disagree).

Edited by Genie

9 minutes ago, Genie said:

I assumed it’s because our houses are designed to retain heat, once it’s in they do a decent job of not letting it escape (although insulate Britain might disagree).

Modern houses, perhaps. We have a 1910 house, built of stone. The theory is that it should be cool in summer, warm in winter. Well, it is cool in summer, fair enough. But it's feckin FREEZING in winter, costs us a fortune to heat, even before the current price hikes. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Modern houses, perhaps. We have a 1910 house, built of stone. The theory is that it should be cool in summer, warm in winter. Well, it is cool in summer, fair enough. But it's feckin FREEZING in winter, costs us a fortune to heat, even before the current price hikes. 

Ah, not ideal then.

I was talking very generically. Ours is a modern house and it’s bloody boiling in the summer but on the flip side doesn’t cost a fortune to heat in the winter.

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I know everyone is warm in weather like this, and I don't complain about the weather, I like it hot.

But we must have the best insulated flats in the world. We never have to have the heating on, even in the winter. And at the moment it's just unbearable, it was 28 degrees in the flat yesterday. I've had to invest in a proper high end fan this year with the new baby as don't want to risk him overheating

Mine too, my external walls are circa 800mm thick concrete, not brick / block cavity

Lived here for 3 years and never put the heating on 

Also means I've never heard the neighbours, would say its almost passivhaus but I don't think the windows are good enough

IMHO its all to do with what your body gets used to.Here in Perth,my comfort zone is 24 to 35 digrees.If the temp goes above or below that I/we have to turn on the heater/aircon.

• Like 2

Our upstairs is roasting because it’s all built into the roof and our heat pump doesn’t really cool that much. We end up just turning the pump off most of the time for heating. 

We also have AC in our bedroom which helps a lot. 

Our house was built 1960 but has had cavity wall insulation and obviously the loft is insulated. We're getting new double glazing to the front as the current panels are very old and mostly broken down.  Hopefully should make a difference next winter. 

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Our upstairs is roasting because it’s all built into the roof and our heat pump doesn’t really cool that much. We end up just turning the pump off most of the time for heating. 

We also have AC in our bedroom which helps a lot. 

Should be able to cool the whole upstairs if you keep the doors open? We can feel our loft AC down two flights of stairs!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

My parents had a grant this year to insulate walls internally. They've lost a few inches internally but their walls are now lined with insulated plasterboard. They're hoping their usually freezing house will now be warm.

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Same with mine. Sweltering last night and probably be worse tonight. it never gets below about 18 or 19 in the depths of winter! 

Â