Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Doesn't matter how fit you are if Norman Hunter and Tommy Smith dealt with you in the opening few minutes

Norman Hunter and Tommy Smith would be blowing out of their arse after 5 minutes while the team from the present ran rings around them. 

It would be a cricket score

52 minutes ago, blandy said:

Yes. The whole going to the pub at half time thing is frowned upon in the modern game.

It's an oft-repeated anecdote of mine, but my Dad was mates with our own Pongo Waring, and said that he regularly had a skinful before a match. 

On 11/07/2019 at 10:13, Stevo985 said:

I think a completely average team from now would absolutely batter the best team in the world from the 60’s

I never thought this until recently watching some old matches. Brilliant, famous old teams made mistakes or play percentages that don't happen so much now, and are ruthlessly punished if they do.

@Stevo985 @ChrisVillan  That's why it's so difficult to compare things across eras as the great teams of the past only needed to be better than the competition they had at the time.  We today benefit from all the knowledge they discovered so if you are bringing, say, Real Madrid 1960 or AC Milan 1989 forwards to today then do you assume that they have access to modern sports science or that we don't have access to the tactics and strategies they pioneered? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ChrisVillan said:

I never thought this until recently watching some old matches. Brilliant, famous old teams made mistakes or play percentages that don't happen so much now, and are ruthlessly punished if they do.

Yep. And generally the pace was so slow. 

If you put any half decent team from today up against a team from the 60’s they’d be blown away on fitness alone 

If you put any* team from the 90s up against a half decent team from today they'd be blown away on fitness alone. 

Spoiler

Except Juventus, obviously. 💉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I do often wonder if it's OK to use initialisms like AFAIK or IIRC in work emails that aren't addressed to bosses (it's obviously a no to bosses).

Although the wonderment is as much to do with 'will they understand WTF I'm on about' as it is to do with actual email etiquette.

I always end up not using them.

4 hours ago, BOF said:

I do often wonder if it's OK to use initialisms like AFAIK or IIRC in work emails that aren't addressed to bosses (it's obviously a no to bosses).

Although the wonderment is as much to do with 'will they understand WTF I'm on about' as it is to do with actual email etiquette.

I always end up not using them.

My least correct emails are to my ultimate boss,  one of the owners of the comapny. It's the lower downs that need things in plain English and even then they pretend not to understand

• Like 1

On 17/07/2019 at 09:45, choffer said:

Why is it almost impossible to get decent (authentic) Mexican food in this country?

Yep, ask anyone and they'll say they love the el Paso box kits* so you expect the market is there but then trying to find a good Mexican restaurant is hard going, don't think there is one in Brum, Worcester has chesters but even that had to expand its menu adding other countries and chiquitos is trying to out shit restaurant Frankie and bennies which takes some doing 

*maybe that's the problem, they have the easy to cook at home market nailed, the thing is if you do their kit (They're ok) and then the nachos and all the bits and go nuts and do a bit more, they aren't cheap 

“In yo face Boulton & Watt” would be my guess.

(I actually didn’t know those two were on the current £50 note, I assumed it was still the portly glumness of Houblon....shows how often I see that denomination)

18 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

First time I've wondered this but I wonder what Alan Turing would have to say about being put on money.

Man castrated and hounded to suicide by government ‘happy’ to be on fifty-pound note

Man castrated and hounded to suicide by government ‘happy’ to be on fifty-pound note

It is reported that the corpse of Alan Turing, a man who took his own life after being castrated by the government, is ‘happy’ to be chosen to appear on the new fifty-pound note.

“Well, let’s see, I cracked the enemy’s ‘unbreakable’ code during the second world war and pioneered the very computing technology that changed the entire world,” explained Mr Turing’s dead body.

“As a reward, my government castrated me because of who I choose to have sex with.

“So I guess being on a fifty-pound note long after my suicide totally makes up for it.

“Thanks for that.”

Mr Turing’s body then went on to explain what would have been a more fitting tribute.

“Well, frankly, I’d have taken a handshake and a ‘thanks Alan’ but if that was too much then perhaps not injecting me with Diethylstilbestrol, depriving me of one of the basic human pleasures, and ultimately leading me to believe that my life wasn’t living – that would have been nice.”

Sadly, there is no way to present Mr Turing with the tribute he would really like, so he has another idea.

“Well, if you really wanted to grant a nice tribute to me, then how about, in my name, telling all those bigots who don’t want gay people in their B&B, or don’t want to make gay people cakes, or who don’t want schools to teach that homosexuality is fine, how about telling all those people to shut up.

“And doing it in my name. That would be nice.”

Although Mr Turing’s corpse didn’t say all those things because corpses can’t speak, one can’t help thinking its the sort of thing it would have said if it could.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Â