Alan Hutton

Rich_D

2 hours ago, av1 said:

Elmo is a shockingly bad defender, infact he is the only defender i can think of that is scared to tackle. The one big advantage he had over Hutton was his end product, but sadly that seems to have gone to pot over the last few months. 

Ignoring contracts/wages etc, and judging them both purely on ability, i would take Hutton over Elmo every day of the week 

I lost count yesterday of the number of times Elmo got sucked into the middle unnecessarily leaving them 2 men out wide in acres of space. 

Then I watched Hutton more closely and noticed him constantly looking outside with quick glances keeping awareness of what was going on. Elmo just seemed oblivious until it was too late and they had players charging in unopposed. 

Edited by sidcow

24 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

We need to move on, he's 34 this year and is frankly the best of a bad bunch rather than an objectively good fullback.

But surely if he is the best of a bad bunch, isn't it better to move on the crap he is better than?

18 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

The discussion in the Gabby thread about “club legends” made me wonder about Hutton.

Don’t worry, I’m not suggesting that I think of Alan Hutton as a club legend. But in the 25+ years of supporting Villa, I can’t think of another player who could be considered a “cult hero” amongst fans in the same way he is.

I’m convinced the initial adulation was, in part, tongue in cheek. But somewhere along the way it’s shifted and any irony about it has significantly reduced.

It’s all open to individual interpretation of course. “Club legends”, “Fan favourites”, etc. But for me, Alan Hutton is probably the best definition of a “cult hero” I’ve seen at Villa. 

Just imagine if he scored the winner at Wembley.

I’d definitely have him in my ‘modern legends’ XI above Agbonlahor. No question. 

3 hours ago, av1 said:

But surely if he is the best of a bad bunch, isn't it better to move on the crap he is better than?

This is about where I am. We're not going to sign three or four new full backs in one transfer window, whichever division we're in, and we need a squad, so I'm finding it hard to see why it's so urgent to jettison Hutton now, as opposed to, say, giving him a one-year extension. 

• Like 3

I must admit I'm a little confused by why we're resigned to him going (or allowing him to) IF we stay in this league.

He's out of contract so any new club will renegotiate wages with him that will probably not be anywhere near his current rate, he's unlikely to be wanted by a Premier League team and we'd need to spend money to replace him. Why not resign him on much better (worse!) terms and keep him? Surely from both a footballing and financial standpoint this makes sense? At this level he is very good by and large.

However, it all becomes moot if we go up as he's no longer a Premier League quality defender. But if we stay down here then I'd budget in retaining him.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Robtaylor200 said:

At times he is the only one pushing forward, when the rest are tip tapping side ways. I love his commitment and would have his children if I were female

He started to be reliable again when he stopped running forward and concentrated on defending. That's what you want him to do.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Robtaylor200 said:

At times he is the only one pushing forward, when the rest are tip tapping side ways. I love his commitment and would have his children if I were female

It's 2018, anything is possible ;)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Zatman said:

his only goal for us........so far ;)

Just imagine the noise if he scored now!

Its funny the sheer lever of cult status he has now, and how it has positively affected his own game, which seems to make him more popular.

If this continues just imagine the player we will have on our hands next season....a god damned sexual tyrannosaurus!

5 hours ago, Nigel said:

Just imagine the noise if he scored now!

Its funny the sheer lever of cult status he has now, and how it has positively affected his own game, which seems to make him more popular.

If this continues just imagine the player we will have on our hands next season....a god damned sexual tyrannosaurus!

is the official name a  Tyrannosaurus Sex?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AVTuco said:

He started to be reliable again when he stopped running forward and concentrated on defending. That's what you want him to do.

He's our version of Marcelo though. Let the man bomb forward, he's bound to get his second goal :D

defensively still a good player but as soon as he crosses the half way line his effectiveness drops massively.

Remember, those wondering why we dont keep him, he is one of the highest earners at the club and is pushing 35.

Bree has potential to be a much better player than hutton, and wont reach that potential sitting on the bench.

its the right time for all concerned for him to leave.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

defensively still a good player but as soon as he crosses the half way line his effectiveness drops massively.

Remember, those wondering why we dont keep him, he is one of the highest earners at the club and is pushing 35.

Bree has potential to be a much better player than hutton, and wont reach that potential sitting on the bench.

its the right time for all concerned for him to leave.

I disagree with that.....I think he is at his best driving over the half way line.

His crossing is not up to standard, but he just hands over when he has done his damage.

If there is a doubt he can get caught out of position at times defensively.....but if he was good at everything, he wouldn't be with us.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

Â