Alan Hutton

Rich_D

3 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Big problem last night is he got in a good position on a few occasions but virtually every time came back onto his right foot and failed to deliver a telling cross - for this reason I would consider bringing Taylor back into the team .

Hutton whatever his faults though always gives his all .

To be fair though, I have never seen Taylor make a decent cross.

• Thanks 1

He has been decent, but what we gain defensively with Alan we lose offensively, especially on the left. He's learnt to keep it safe which is okay when he's got Snodgrass ahead of him. 

I don't want to see him out for long, that would be a loss, but I'm not disappointed that Taylor has replaced him in the team. 

On 2/21/2018 at 08:52, VillaAlex said:

To be fair though, I have never seen Taylor make a decent cross.

True, but that's why Hutton + Adomah was a good combination.

Hutton rarely delivers a final ball from the left because he's not left footed. Instead he looks for Adomah.

This is a good thing, because Hutton has never delivered a final ball in his entire life. I'm pretty sure he came out of the womb overhitting a cross.
Being on the left seems to force him to not try it.

Since Adomah has been out, particularly when BB was in front of him, Hutton seemed to feel the need to deliver the ball more, mainly because he was once again the attacker down that side rather than Adomah. 

Situation is pretty similar with Taylor, except Taylor is left footed so I feel he tries it more down that side.

Both player are abysmal at passing.

• Like 2

I like his tenacity and drive.... I accept not good at crosses and does get caught out of position at times, can tend to ball watch instead of follow his man.

I guess at this level you don't get complete players.

• I like to see defenders ......defend first and attack second.
  • I like to see Attackers.......Attack first and defend second.
Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

We will miss his willingness to move tge ball forwards. A very important  part of our game. 

Taylor checks back far too much which slows everything down. Something that annoyed the tits off most fans and was a tactic employed far too often which resulted in poor results.

Just concerned we may go back to that negative approach at a time we should be pressing teams for the wins

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

True, but that's why Hutton + Adomah was a good combination.

Hutton rarely delivers a final ball from the left because he's not left footed. Instead he looks for Adomah.

This is a good thing, because Hutton has never delivered a final ball in his entire life. I'm pretty sure he came out of the womb overhitting a cross.
Being on the left seems to force him to not try it.

Since Adomah has been out, particularly when BB was in front of him, Hutton seemed to feel the need to deliver the ball more, mainly because he was once again the attacker down that side rather than Adomah. 

Situation is pretty similar with Taylor, except Taylor is left footed so I feel he tries it more down that side.

Both player are abysmal at passing.

i may be misremembering but didnt he put in a great inswinger onto Snodgrass's head in the last game?

admittedly the fact that I specifically remember a successful cross from Hutton kinda proves your point

I think positioning is a key fault of his, and perhaps why shifting to the left back position has made him better: he doesn’t rely on instinct and works harder at positions. Plus, he knows he can’t cross with his left so he doesn’t even try, so isn’t caught out of position as often. Whereas on the right he thinks he can cross, which as we all know, he can’t.

19 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

i may be misremembering but didnt he put in a great inswinger onto Snodgrass's head in the last game?

admittedly the fact that I specifically remember a successful cross from Hutton kinda proves your point

Well I missed the last game so you may be right.

But it would be a very rare occurrence!

(the cross, not you being right ;) )

• Haha 1

On 2/28/2018 at 09:56, alreadyexists said:

I think positioning is a key fault of his, and perhaps why shifting to the left back position has made him better: he doesn’t rely on instinct and works harder at positions. Plus, he knows he can’t cross with his left so he doesn’t even try, so isn’t caught out of position as often. Whereas on the right he thinks he can cross, which as we all know, he can’t.

Good observations Imo

• Like 2

On 2/28/2018 at 10:12, Stevo985 said:

Well I missed the last game so you may be right.

But it would be a very rare occurrence!

(the cross, not you being right ;) )

You spoilt it, with the last line, in brackets.:D

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

As much as he makes mistakes and loses the ball sometimes.

I think he bravery bombing forward is sometimes underappreciated.

He has started several attacks he gets no credit for.

Dont see it myself ? Watched him again yesterday. Minimal forward passing and hardly any balls if any forward which set us on our way.

Is solid in defence but really offers nothing going forwards.

Just now, brummybloke said:

Dont see it myself ? Watched him again yesterday. Minimal forward passing and hardly any balls if any forward which set us on our way.

Is solid in defence but really offers nothing going forwards.

Interesting. Didn’t put a foot wrong for me!! 

Is it me or do we expect a bit from our full backs......

• We want them to emulate a centre half when the ball is about to be launched from the opposite wing
  • then we want them to overlap and resemble a winger, when the ball is on their side.

wonder we don't ask them to play centre forward too, with runs through the middle.

• Like 1

Â