Alan Hutton

Rich_D

I'm afraid I've got to disagree. I think Bacuna is a better defender. Bacuna is the better athlete and is able to change direction quicker so won't let people go past as easily. As he's also got a better cross and is more dangerous cutting in, I can't see anything that Hutton has over him.

Yeah I agree think Bacuna is better option at RB Hutton is ok defensively but very poor going forward his crossing is atrocious think Bacuna offers  us more although Hutton is a better defender but only slightly .                                         I'm afraid I've got to disagree. I think Bacuna is a better defender. Bacuna is the better athlete and is able to change direction quicker so won't let people go past as easily. As he's also got a better cross and is more dangerous cutting in, I can't see anything that Hutton has over him.

Edited by BigAl

I'm afraid I've got to disagree. I think Bacuna is a better defender. Bacuna is the better athlete and is able to change direction quicker so won't let people go past as easily. As he's also got a better cross and is more dangerous cutting in, I can't see anything that Hutton has over him.

You've got to be joking - Bacuna is nowhere near as good a defender as Hutton. The former is more technical and is definitely better with the ball but Hutton is just as much of an athlete, is stronger and a better tackler. He also knows how to position himself better. 

You wouldn't argue that Hutton is a great defender but he's still much more effective than Bacuna defensively.

• Like 2

Defensive ability relies more on positional awareness rather than athleticism. I'm not Hutton's biggest fan but I would much rather have him in the team over Bacuna.

Along with a Keeper and a Striker, RB will hopefully be a priority in January.

Edited by av1

Have generally gained a whole load of respect for Alan Hutton.

Was "bombed out" but has come back and performed well (on the whole) to the point that he can't be dropped again.  Seems to have great desire on the pitch as well.  He might not be the best right back in the world, but he gets up and down the line really, really well and commands players down 'his' side of the pitch.

There's really no comparison with Bacuna defensively.  I think Bacuna has performed best when occupying a midfield role in any case.

There is no way Bacuna is a better defender than Hutton.

Agreed.

Bacuna is better going forward and more capable of a killer pass.

But if you're worried about defending first and foremost there is no way Bacuna is the better option

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Agreed.

Bacuna is better going forward and more capable of a killer pass.

But if you're worried about defending first and foremost there is no way Bacuna is the better option

I agree, but I suppose the issue is if we have Richardson down the left (who offers literally nothing whatsoever going forward) then maybe we need Bacuna's greater incisiveness down the other side.

If Amavi hadn't been injured, there's no way I'd even be suggesting this. Bacuna seemed to be growing into a midfield role. But we are where we are. 

i know this is the hutton thread, but...

bacuna and richardson are wingers, thats why theyre better at attacking than defending

hutton will do the job till january, might have to do it till the summer, theres no way we will buy a better right back in the summer, who will want to come to us when we are propping up the premier league.

Hutton is very decent full back, certainly good enough for a mid-table team like we are aspiring to be.

If we can actually get a settled team and formation, so he can develop an understanding with whomever is playing in front of him (probably Gil) at the moment, I think we will see the best of him.

Bacuna goes from the sublime to the ridiculous. He's not solid or reliable enough.

Â