Alan Hutton

Rich_D

Confidence is key. Hopefully with a few more solid performances he'll start to become more of a threat attacking-wise. He's got it in his locker to do damage in forward positions (see Leicester last season), but looks painfully short of confidence when he has possession in forward positions.

hard worker, but too many times he lets players get infront of him on balls across from our left, leaving them unmarked 6 yards out. It didnt cost us today due to some good goalkeeping and bit of luck, but its something that has cost us too many goals this season.

• Like 1

I'm not Hutton fans by any means but i would have given him MOTM yesterday.  I saw it during the game and rewatched the game when i got home to confirm, were I saw him a few times point Richards to where he should be positioned when City were attacking down his wing.  Richards was coming out to RB to help Hutton out and he was pointing for him to get back into CB. 

• Like 1

Decent in defence but a good modern full-back needs to have more to their game. Giving the ball to him is essentially giving away possession.

I think he gets forward well, he just doesn't have a good enough final ball.

I think he'll be fine for this season, but would definitely be a position I'd be looking to improve upon in the Summer.

one complaint and one question.

Hutton must stop letting runners come around him and especially inside (goalside) when he's on the weak side.  Most obvious example, Sterling's open header.  This time Brad positioned himself well and got lucky, but far too many times Hutton is letting the weakside support go right past him and it has cost us more than once.  He MUST stop this!  Or he needs to be benched. (sorry)

At the other end, I can't ever remember a full back from any Premier League team being consistently that wide open on the flank in the attacking half.  It seems Alan spends an inordinate amount of time with acres of space on the wing.  I'm trying to figure out why.  It almost seems like teams are packing our left side and middle and leaving him with 1/4 of the field to himself.  Do they trust they can close him down quickly enough?  It seems to be working.  He either takes it deep and puts in a poor cross or passes it backward to a midfielder most of the time.  A few seasons ago, several times he shifted the ball to his left and made a direct inside run straight to the penalty area and put a driving shot into the keeper.  Scored at least one if I recall correctly.  It's in his wheelhouse, he needs to do that more.  He needs to make them pay for conceding that much space on the flank.  They would be forced to spread the back line and mid-field more.  It will open up the field for our attack.  

• Like 1

I swear he used to be able to cross.

No international break for him. Give him with a bag of 50 balls every day and make him run down the line and practice crossing them FFS.

Solid enough v City, couldn't stop them every time due to numbers.

I actually like Hutton and think he's been one of the few good things this season (until now that is).

Sure he's limited but he's not someone that needs replacing as things stand.

• Like 1

one complaint and one question.

Hutton must stop letting runners come around him and especially inside (goalside) when he's on the weak side.  Most obvious example, Sterling's open header.  This time Brad positioned himself well and got lucky, but far too many times Hutton is letting the weakside support go right past him and it has cost us more than once.  He MUST stop this!  Or he needs to be benched. (sorry)

Yeah I was watching the highlights on MotD last night and they were complimentry about his performance on there, and yes he did play well, but... The Sterling Header and De Bruyne chances came from Hutton napping at the back post, also Delph would have had a simple header near the end if Guzan wouldn't have clawed it away from his head. Hutton needs to stay switched on, and get his body in the way of the attacker making it harder for them to get in on a good goal scoring chance.

Edited by NeilS

The most annoying thing about him is how he works himself into great positions but you can almost guarantee his delivery will be shite.

Makes you question...is he working himself into those...or is it the opposition letting him have space as they know he won't deliver :D

I like Hutton though, you'll never see him hiding, always wants the ball.

Edited by Tom13
  • Like 2

Â