Alan Hutton

Rich_D

If Richards proves to be pretty poor at centreback  for us I'm sure Sherwood will drop him from that position regardless of what was said when he signed.

Yes obviously. But that is very different to moving him to a different position when he isn't.

Our 'best performing defender' is like basically saying 'the shiniest turd' at the moment.

Quite but the point remains.

He hasn't been turd at all in these 4 games, though. 

Our defence as a unit has not been good enough, so saying he's been our best defender IMO doesn't mean much.

I guess you have ridiculously high standards if you'd have expected our defence to allow 1 goal per game or less, because right now they're at 5 goals allowed in 4 games, which is better than, I imagine, most would have even dreamt of before the season started. After the last few seasons in which we've conceded 60 goals on average I, for one, am actually quite pleased we're on pace for less than 50 this season. 

4 games isn't really much of a sample, in fairness.

I think you need to look at the goals we've conceded to come to the conclusion of whether the defence has been good enough and on the evidence of what we've got so far, I don't think it has.

If Sherwood stopped playing a good RB at CB, we wouldn't have to choose between 'good going forward' and 'solid defensively' because the aforementioned player could probably do both well.

Oh let it go, it ain't happening.

I know but I just find it mind-boggling.

It's pretty simple. Richards either plays CB for us or he'd be playing CB for a different team.

4 games isn't really much of a sample, in fairness.

It's the only sample we have with the current defence in place.

I think you need to look at the goals we've conceded to come to the conclusion of whether the defence has been good enough and on the evidence of what we've got so far, I don't think it has.

2 set pieces, 2 horrendous individual errors and a Man U lovely passing attack. Not too bad imo. 

• 2 weeks later...

Love him he gives his all for the cause every game and came back from being the forgotten man.  He must run more than any other player on the pitch and he tackles well.  His crosses might not be the best but would anybodies be any better if all they had to cross to was Gabby Frodo?

Â