Nathan Baker

AVFC-Prideofbrum

I feel that in most of the games he's played (at least recently anyway), the commentators have always been very impressed with him. They're always commenting on the timing and strength of his tackles, headers and interceptions.

He's an absolute beast in the air. Not to mention he is very strong and decisive in the tackle when he needs to be. Always been more impressed with him than Clark. Unfair on Herd I know, but a Clark-Baker-Vlaar back 3 would probably be immense for us.

Just watched his interview on AVTV. He made some interesting comments when asked about playing with Clarke, Herd and Lichaj. Saying it's easy, we've played together for years we know each other inside out. Also that they are used to winning the league in the reserves and feel prepared for the big prem games.

Great to think that our youth have that winning mentality, it's exciting and the signs so far are really promising.

As well as herd has done, i'd still bring Vlaar back. Clarke Vlaar Baker. Solid!

Just watched his interview on AVTV. He made some interesting comments when asked about playing with Clarke, Herd and Lichaj. Saying it's easy, we've played together for years we know each other inside out. Also that they are used to winning the league in the reserves and feel prepared for the big prem games.

Great to think that our youth have that winning mentality, it's exciting and the signs so far are really promising.

As well as herd has done, i'd still bring Vlaar back. Clarke Vlaar Baker. Solid!

Add to this that they seem to get on really well off the pitch too. Previously we've had one or two come through here and there but not as a group. Remember United crop coming through, they adapted so well as they already knew each other. I'm not saying we'll win the league before people jump on me. Check out the banter they have on Twitter, it's brilliant and this will only help us.

I first saw him a couple of years ago when we beat Blackburn in the cup at VP. He got sent off that day for a crunching tackle, but I saw enough to make me think he had agreat future in the game. He played at left back and put over a dream of a cross for the Fonz to score. Just as with Gareth Barry when he first came into the team I think that playing on the left of three at the back is ideal for him at the moment. As his confidence grows I think his game will become more expansive. It is rare to see him give the ball away and he is a great defender.

An even less popular comparison, he reminds me of a young John Terry.

Beat me to it - I was going to type exactly that.

I think three at the back will give Vlaar the option to come out of defence and make an extra midfielder so it'll offer flexibility to the formation as both he and Clark are comfortable with the ball. Baker is the natural stopper to allow the other two to play.

Made a great tackle on wonder boy Sterling as it looked as if he was going to go through yesterday.Hard tackle it was too.Sterling was limping a bit afterwards.

Absolutely smashed him, legally. Loved it.

I like Sterling, he's a cracking little player. I would say comparatively speaking considering that in my view it takes defenders a few extra years to develop the skills for this level he and Baker are of the same 'generation'. Not to mention Sterling is essentially a Rooney-esq once every ten years kinda player. Baker won the battle yesterday, hands down. Every time they came together our lad mugged him.

He's got a rare talent has Baker. In that even being a defender and with the shackles that entails, he's great to watch. He's much better than Cahill at the same age and that bodes well for us.

When Vlaar got injured I really wasn't that worried as I knew Baker was coming back into the side. Has looked good for a while now and hasn't let anyone down. Was solid last season too when he got his chance. Bright future ahead of him. Just hope it's at Villa park.

Has been quality for us!! Wouldn't be suprised if he did end up in the England squads in the future.... he's strong, pacey, can read the game well.... loves a strong tackle and once he gets even more games under his belt he will be immense for us :)

The future is bright :)

• I'll rescind the bad words I said about him being a clunking awful liability. been very impressive recently bar that awful back header v Norwich. Go on Nathan.

Sorry pelle but I'm with Mikey on this one and I would say that it's the most challenging thing for a CB to do well. Reading of the game combines different mental attributes that are essential for top defenders - their levels of concentration, where they place themselves, their ability to anticipate what is likely to happen and their ability to act quickly and make the right decision. A lot of people can just sit there and understand what is happening but that isn't really 'reading the game'.

I'll rephras a little. Reading the game is one of the hardest parts of the game, but that goes for every position. But it's easiest for a cd or gk to do that well. You've got the whole pitch and game in front of you.

Anyway, that's not me trying to belittle any of the two youngsters. I really like them both and I think we have three good central defenders in them two and Vlaar. And the best part is that both Baker and Clark are young and come from our own academy. As said, they make the odd error, but they are both still learning. I always liked Clark more, but maybe Baker really is the better one.

Is Baker from Birmingham?

hear a lot of people comparing Clark and Baker and asking who's better, personally think they are both great but offer different things and as a result now seem to be forming a great partnership.... Credit to Herd for how he has done alongside them but I would like to see Ron on the right of a defensive 3, given time that could be an awesome back line.

I'll rephras a little. Reading the game is one of the hardest parts of the game, but that goes for every position. But it's easiest for a cd or gk to do that well. You've got the whole pitch and game in front of you.

Anyway, that's not me trying to belittle any of the two youngsters. I really like them both and I think we have three good central defenders in them two and Vlaar. And the best part is that both Baker and Clark are young and come from our own academy. As said, they make the odd error, but they are both still learning. I always liked Clark more, but maybe Baker really is the better one.

Is Baker from Birmingham?

Worcester - so just down the road, local enough :)

Â