Nathan Baker

AVFC-Prideofbrum

Really? The hardest? I'd say it's the easiest. Just sit back, read the game, intervene and give the ball to someone in a shirt like the one you wear yourself. Doesn't take anything away from these two boys, though. I like them both. They make the odd misstake, but who doesn't? They're young(ish) and still learning their trades. They might be very good for us in the future. Evans and McNaught. ;)

But reading the game is one of the hardest tasks...

Sorry pelle but I'm with Mikey on this one and I would say that it's the most challenging thing for a CB to do well. Reading of the game combines different mental attributes that are essential for top defenders - their levels of concentration, where they place themselves, their ability to anticipate what is likely to happen and their ability to act quickly and make the right decision. A lot of people can just sit there and understand what is happening but that isn't really 'reading the game'.

Mc Grath was shot physically, 90% of what he was as a player came from his reading of the game.......

Baker is physically very powerful and has a fair bit of pace for such a big lad, hes also very brave, not afraid to go into to 50/50 challenges and take the risk of making mistakes, upto yet hes done very well and been lucky a few times.

Not really sure how well he reads the game quite yet, that will show in how many bad decisions/ good decisions he makes in games. If he makes 10 good and 2 bad then thats great, rather than having a player who doesnt commit for fear of making a bad decision, 1 good decision, 0 bad, that type of player is 2 a penny.

When he does make a mistake and cost us its how he reacts to that mistake that, for me, will decide how he will develop.

I don't know if Vlaar gets back in you know. Herd has been great as well. But Baker is the real deal, fair enough, who knew?

Vlaar gets in for Clark for me, I like him but feel the lad gets turned too easily. Herd is employed as the more forward minded of the three so that's not really an option.

Baker must keep his place regardless. Absolutely top drawer today, again. He's have been my motm if it wasn't for you know who. He's much better than Cahill at the same stage though of course it's a very early stage.

• Like 1

I can see us switching to three at the back just to accommodate Vlaar, Baker and Clark. None of whom IMHO, really deserve to be dropped. You could rotate and rest them, but I'm not a huge fan of unsettling a defensive unit too much.

I can see us switching to three at the back just to accommodate Vlaar, Baker and Clark. None of whom IMHO, really deserve to be dropped. You could rotate and rest them, but I'm not a huge fan of unsettling a defensive unit too much.

We already are a three at the back.

We already are a three at the back.

Aye, but I got the impression that was due to necessity because of injuries. I think it may become the norm from now on.

I personally used to love the old back three style we played a while ago.

Â