Nathan Baker

AVFC-Prideofbrum

He got skinned a couple of times tonight which led to them having 2 great chances, he shouldnt be getting so close to quick skillful players and committing to the tackle to early. Needs to learn from that. 

55 minutes ago, Bunnski said:

He got skinned a couple of times tonight which led to them having 2 great chances, he shouldnt be getting so close to quick skillful players and committing to the tackle to early. Needs to learn from that. 

Looked like he was being troubled by that back injury again. This is why i want a new CB.. we are so close to using Elphick again and hes just not upto it. 

24 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

He is good at championship level where he can head balls clear but his lack of mobility is exposed against quick and tricky Premier League opposition. 

Absolutely. He hasn't dramatically improved it's that the standard of opposition has dropped, same applies to Clark.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Absolutely. He hasn't dramatically improved it's that the standard of opposition has dropped, same applies to Clark.

This.

Not sure why people are surprised he looked less good against significantly better opposition.

We already know he's not a great defender at premier League level. He's good at Championship level because his opponents aren't as good, not because he's gotten better.

• Like 1

When I saw Elphick's name, I just knew it was Baker who got injured and not Chester.

Shame for the lad as he was doing well. Hope its not serious. 

On 14/01/2017 at 20:54, theboyangel said:

How many of us honestly would have thought we'd gutted if baker was missing from our defence???

he and Chester compliment each other as a defensive pairing. 

Elphick just isn't good enough as back up

its a double whammy

Elphick not as good as Chester

Chester asked to play on left side out of his natural position is not as good as Baker

hence

both sides weaker

Chester on the right with Elphuck on the left would only mean 1 side weaker

or am I being to logical?

• Like 1

On 16/01/2017 at 12:38, Stevo985 said:

I think Elphick's getting a bit of unfair stick to be honest. He's not as good as the other two, but he's not as bad as people are making out.

Whilst Elphick arrived with a decent footballing reputation (certainly for our current level), unfortunately he seems to have suffered from the footballers equivalent of a golfer's 'yips'. He made a couple of early mistakes that were punished and it got to him. Ever since, he seems to be trying too hard which has lead to more errors and compounded his problem. There are way too many instances of the ball getting stuck under his feet or letting the ball bounce unnecessarily, for Elphick to be considered as a first choice pairing. Trouble is, whenever he's been given a run of games and had the chance to get his confidence back, he's made an occasional mistake and gone back to square one again.

2 hours ago, brommy said:

Whilst Elphick arrived with a decent footballing reputation (certainly for our current level), unfortunately he seems to have suffered from the footballers equivalent of a golfer's 'yips'. He made a couple of early mistakes that were punished and it got to him. Ever since, he seems to be trying too hard which has lead to more errors and compounded his problem. There are way too many instances of the ball getting stuck under his feet or letting the ball bounce unnecessarily, for Elphick to be considered as a first choice pairing. Trouble is, whenever he's been given a run of games and had the chance to get his confidence back, he's made an occasional mistake and gone back to square one again.

I've said it before, but both Elphick and Chester play better next to Baker because he does the heading donkey work. Next to each other they are too similar and short. 

He's improved massively and certainly does a good job, but this is level in the prem he would get destroyed again.

Edited by mikeyp102

• 2 weeks later...
Â