Nathan Baker

AVFC-Prideofbrum

really not a coincidence we keep winning with him at centre half. I would say easily our best centre half and I can imagine his win percentage compared to the other 2 is impressive

should be our captain

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

really not a coincidence we keep winning with him at centre half. I would say easily our best centre half and I can imagine his win percentage compared to the other 2 is impressive

should be our captain

He's playing well and partners well with Chester but no way has he shown anything to suggest he should be our captain. I think he needs a more mature and level-headed centre back playing with him to bring out his best qualities.

He has all the physical attributes but has always lacked the brain a bit for me.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Ginko said:

He's playing well and partners well with Chester but no way has he shown anything to suggest he should be our captain. I think he needs a more mature and level-headed centre back playing with him to bring out his best qualities.

He has all the physical attributes but has always lacked the brain a bit for me.

Couldn't agree more. 

He is having a good season this year so I'm loathe to be to critical, but i think championship football is probably about his level. 

And thats largely due to the bit in bold. In this league, his physicality and his heart on his sleeve, brave attitude means he can dominate less skillful players. Up in the big league thats not enough. To be frank, he was absolutely embarrassing at times in the PL. 

23 hours ago, av1 said:

Couldn't agree more. 

He is having a good season this year so I'm loathe to be to critical, but i think championship football is probably about his level. 

And thats largely due to the bit in bold. In this league, his physicality and his heart on his sleeve, brave attitude means he can dominate less skillful players. Up in the big league thats not enough. To be frank, he was absolutely embarrassing at times in the PL. 

This has been gone round before, and I doubt I'm going to change any minds, but yes he was poor when he came through - probably largely due to playing in a shit team at a young age, as well as plenty of deficiencies in his game - but he had been improving for quite a while and had a good season in 2014/15 which was his last in the PL. 

Anyway, it's academic for now - he's good now, which is what matters. 

• Like 3

On 3/1/2017 at 21:38, dounavilla said:

Chester >Baker 

It's not about who's better, what's important is the partnership.

A massively underrated but incredibly important part of a defence is having too players that complement each other. Baker is the big bastard destroyer, Chester is the technical one who cleans up what's left behind.

Baker and Elphick would be much more effective than Elphick and Chester IMO but obviously Baker and Chester is the best option. 

• Like 1

On 3/6/2017 at 09:52, Czechlad said:

I think this is what you're referring to:

17190438_10210168081251894_6066593601978

I guess this needs to be updated. Still very promising that in 15 matches together, they only have 1 loss which was a 1-0 loss. 

• Like 1

Have a look at the stats as to our results when we score and concede the first goal.

The disparity in it is staggering, I've never know a Villa team that needs the first goal so much to get a result.

Was more fighting spirit in the premier league.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Alan Hutton is the missing ingredient I tell ya! ;)

Since Bruce took over we have beat Reading, Fulham, Blackburn, Cardiff, QPR, Burton, Derby, Bristol City, Rotherham and tied Blues, Brighton and Leeds when all four have started. :)

So you could be right! :P

• Like 1

On 8.3.2017 at 14:15, villianusa said:

Since Bruce took over we have beat Reading, Fulham, Blackburn, Cardiff, QPR, Burton, Derby, Bristol City, Rotherham and tied Blues, Brighton and Leeds when all four have started. :)

So you could be right! :P

9-4-0 where all of Jedi, Hutton, Baker and Chester have started. B)

• Like 1

Â