Andreas Weimann

Adam2003

There's probably an interesting crossroads coming up about career and friendships for Andi, he spends a lot of time with Clark and Bannan and the friendships he's made growing up will doubtless mean a lot to him - the thing is, those players might not be able to stay with him and if they go I wonder what that does to his relationship with the club?

Clark isn't going.

Bannan might be.

Maybe he's furious that Bannan isn't getting more game time?

Or maybe he's going to re-sign and we're all worrying over nothing. I think he's going to sign. 21 years old, 4 year contract. He knows Benteke is probably only going to be here one more season. Perfect place to develop whilst not being centre of attention.

Edited by Con

I really hope this wont be another BS summer with players like Benteke and Weimann leaving. I'm so sick of our best players leaving every year. Weimann looks to have real pride in playing for the shirt for us and I thought he could be another Agbonlahor in the making for this club but if he wants to leave after one decent season he's no better than that traitor Downing and I hope he has the same fall from grace Downing had if he leaves but I'm hoping he turns around and proves me wrong and stays I really like Andi Weimann he scores priceless goals for us including that one against Fulham last season that practically saved us. Please stay Andi.

We need to keep him here in much the same way as we need to keep Benteke. If one or both leave it will be a big blow to us and it would suggest we are but a feeder club who bring players on to make a profit rather than to improve us as a football club. If we make him an offer that shows him we appreciate him I think he will be the more likely of the two to stay and if we do not then there will be other clubs that will and we will be back to square one.

Love Weimann and it would be a huge shame if we lost him.

However, technically he is poor. Generally his positioning and finishing (a la Bent) is his best attributes, but they too have been off of late. A lot of pretty easy goals he has missed in recent weeks. He works hard, probably harder than anybody else on the pitch and if he can find his finishing form from the Cup/earlier in the season more consistently then having a Darren Bent that [seemingly] loves Villa and works hard for the team could be huge for us.

If, as I suspect we will, move back to two strikers, then Weimann and Benteke created a potent partnership earlier in the season. But with 3 forwards (Weimann and Gabby wide of Benteke), Weimann has trailed off a bit, i still like him but I dont think he fits well enough in that front 3. It's not his fault. He's  a poacher that works hard. He isn't a speedy, complete forward or able to play as a tricky winger so the formation just doesn't suit him (and to be fair to him, he's been better on that Right side lately than earlier in the season).

So long story short. I'd love Weimann to sign a new contract, thrilled if we keep him. But if I had to choose out of our best players this season (Guzan, Lowton, Westwood, Weimann, Benteke) which one had to leave this summer. It would be Andi. He's technically limited and not a lot of his praise from fans is due to his unrelenting workrate (which is great), I think, in the long run, Weimann will have the least successful career of those younger players I mentioned (excluding Guzan)

Edited by HalfTimePost

You're being harsh. 7 goals as a 21 year old being played out of position. In context, that's up there with Van Persie's record at that age.

Frank Lampard was always technically limited but he kept on improving and kept on being effective.

Key question is whether Weimann will keep improving. This year he's surprised a lot of fans - lots of skepticism earlier in the thread - by making the grade, so he's improved beyond their expectations already, so no reason not to think he won't improve more.

• Like 1

However, technically he is poor. Generally his positioning and finishing (a la Bent) is his best attributes, but they too have been off of late. A lot of pretty easy goals he has missed in recent weeks. He works hard, probably harder than anybody else on the pitch and if he can find his finishing form from the Cup/earlier in the season more consistently then having a Darren Bent that [seemingly] loves Villa and works hard for the team could be huge for us.

If, as I suspect we will, move back to two strikers, then Weimann and Benteke created a potent partnership earlier in the season. But with 3 forwards (Weimann and Gabby wide of Benteke), Weimann has trailed off a bit, i still like him but I dont think he fits well enough in that front 3. It's not his fault. He's a poacher that works hard. He isn't a speedy, complete forward or able to play as a tricky winger so the formation just doesn't suit him (and to be fair to him, he's been better on that Right side lately than earlier in the season).

So long story short. I'd love Weimann to sign a new contract, thrilled if we keep him. But if I had to choose out of our best players this season (Guzan, Lowton, Westwood, Weimann, Benteke) which one had to leave this summer. It would be Andi. He's technically limited and not a lot of his praise from fans is due to his unrelenting workrate (which is great), I think, in the long run, Weimann will have the least successful career of those younger players I mentioned (excluding Guzan)

That must have took you ages to write, and you know what I pretty much disagree with all of it.

You're being harsh. 7 goals as a 21 year old being played out of position. In context, that's up there with Van Persie's record at that age.

Frank Lampard was always technically limited but he kept on improving and kept on being effective.

Key question is whether Weimann will keep improving. This year he's surprised a lot of fans - lots of skepticism earlier in the thread - by making the grade, so he's improved beyond their expectations already, so no reason not to think he won't improve more.

Agree. He may or may not improve further, but he's already very very good for his age, and he has shown some excellent finishing skills. I doubt he's particularly wanting to change clubs, but if he did it would be a big, big loss (based on how good he is already), or a catastrophe (based on how good he could become).

• Like 1

I guess loyalty in football went out of the window years ago.

We should be questioning the club on this one, how did we get to a position where he only has 1 year of his contract left? We could blame Houllier, McLeish, Faulkner ?

We simply should not be in this position.

I guess loyalty in football went out of the window years ago.

We should be questioning the club on this one, how did we get to a position where he only has 1 year of his contract left? We could blame Houllier, McLeish, Faulkner ?

We simply should not be in this position.

Agreed, he did enough last year to show the promise he has. They should have been having this conversation then

I have no doubts Weiman will sign a contract extension now our premiership status has been confirmed.

Wouldn't be surprised if this is all done and dusted prior to the players leaving on holiday at the end of next week.

If, as I suspect we will, move back to two strikers, then Weimann and Benteke created a potent partnership earlier in the season. But with 3 forwards (Weimann and Gabby wide of Benteke), Weimann has trailed off a bit, i still like him but I dont think he fits well enough in that front 3. It's not his fault. He's  a poacher that works hard. He isn't a speedy, complete forward or able to play as a tricky winger so the formation just doesn't suit him (and to be fair to him, he's been better on that Right side lately than earlier in the season).

Pretty much sums it up for me. - He's done great - and to make a big impact @ 21 is no mean feat. That said he has trailed off poorly in the last few games - the warning signs are there IMO.

Also he should note clubs are circling because its a chance to pick up a premiership player on the cheap - Not because he is the next Rooney, Lineker, Owen etc.

I hope he sees that staying at Villa is the best move he can make at this early point of his career! Playing games week in week out at 21 will help far more than sitting on the bench.

If he decides to bugger off, well good luck to him but the grass isnt always greener. If a like-for-like replacement can be found, what's the worry? 99% of players don't give a flying **** about their clubs these days.

If, as I suspect we will, move back to two strikers, then Weimann and Benteke created a potent partnership earlier in the season. But with 3 forwards (Weimann and Gabby wide of Benteke), Weimann has trailed off a bit, i still like him but I dont think he fits well enough in that front 3. It's not his fault. He's a poacher that works hard. He isn't a speedy, complete forward or able to play as a tricky winger so the formation just doesn't suit him (and to be fair to him, he's been better on that Right side lately than earlier in the season).

That must have took you ages to write, and you know what I pretty much disagree with all of it.

Such a pointless comment, would you care to elaborate?

Judging by his twitter, he likes it at Villa a lot. He tweeted excitedly about avoiding the drop when Arsenal won so I doubt he's too serious about leaving or that a big offer has been made.

He'll stay

Â