Andreas Weimann

Adam2003

Not to ruin the party, but he has had only one good season so far. Reckon now we are safe, guaranteed 1st team start, and improved wages he'd at least accept something like a 2 year extension.

Hoping the fact that Lambert has come out and said we won't be making any huge signings means that some money can instead be ploughed into better contracts for our star players like Andi and Benteke.

I know a fair few Newcastle fans and Tiote, Gutierrez, Cisse and Santon have been rubbish lately. Ben Arfa is over weight. I'd much rather be building a squad rather than panic buying big named players from abroad and hoping they'll click.

My point was it IS debateable. The fact that you and Ginko are debating it proves as much. They've massively underperformed and I would put that down to the manager being absolutely **** useless, but they do have a solid squad.

I'm not saying that if I was Andi I would go to Newcastle, I'm only suggesting it isn't a ridiculous notion.

If you'd picked on Norwich you'd have a point.

SikhlnTrinity,Yes that was a good finish and control but i also remember Stephan Moore coming on as a sub against charlton and scoring an amazing technical goal!

No doubt he's a great prospect but he's far from the finished article and leaving will not help his development!

I remember that goal against Charlton. It was a nice enough goal, the kind that Andi has scored several of this season. Comparisons to Stephan Moore are frankly ridiculous.

I'm genuinely worried we'll lose him and I've a horrible feeling that we might.

He may have come through the final stages of our academy but he's Austrian born and bred so there's always the higher chance that he'll go back to somewhere like the Bundesliga. Add to that the fact that we have played him out of position. We know he didn't mind doing it this season but we don't know how happy he is to continue doing that while developing as a professional (he is still only 21).

The guy clearly has what it takes at this level. He has never complained about playing on the wing and he has done very well there. But this next contract is going to be his most important one to date and will need to set him up right. He will want more than just the money to be right. My worry is that Lambert sees him as a winger and that the player doesn't.

And with clubs like Liverpool allegedly sniffing around him (after what he did to them earlier in the season), all the have to do is match our wages and guarantee him that when he plays, he plays as a striker.

There just seems to be enough plausible reasons there for me to be more worried about losing him than there are about being worried about losing Benteke.

Still stand by that hanging onto this kid is more important to our future than hanging onto Benteke. Andi (whilst my favourite) is definitely not the greatest of players to grace this world but what he gives you is genuine heart & soul, something that is so unique nowadays. 

With the greatest of respects to him, if we can not convince Weimann to stay, then we really are wasting our time.

I'm genuinely worried we'll lose him and I've a horrible feeling that we might.

He may have come through the final stages of our academy but he's Austrian born and bred so there's always the higher chance that he'll go back to somewhere like the Bundesliga. Add to that the fact that we have played him out of position. We know he didn't mind doing it this season but we don't know how happy he is to continue doing that while developing as a professional (he is still only 21).

The guy clearly has what it takes at this level. He has never complained about playing on the wing and he has done very well there. But this next contract is going to be his most important one to date and will need to set him up right. He will want more than just the money to be right. My worry is that Lambert sees him as a winger and that the player doesn't.

And with clubs like Liverpool allegedly sniffing around him (after what he did to them earlier in the season), all the have to do is match our wages and guarantee him that when he plays, he plays as a striker.

There just seems to be enough plausible reasons there for me to be more worried about losing him than there are about being worried about losing Benteke.

Liverpool? Honestly, he isn't good enough. To play on the flank perhaps, at a push, but certainly not as a striker. He's not even close to Sturridge for one, in either position.

Liverpool have flattered to deceive this season, they're much better than their position suggests.

Lets be honest here, from West Brom down we're all much of a muchness. You could reverse 8th-17th next season and I don't think it would be much of a surprise to anyone. The only club above that where I think he fits is Everton. They don't even have a manager right now so it would be wild speculation to suggest him going there.

I'm not worried about him leaving. At least not to another premier league club.

If he decides to leave I will feel a bit cheated by him

He owes us big time

Not really.

We've played him because he's good, and he scores goals, thus helping our team.

If he was no good and wasn't scoring goals then we'd have dropped him like a stone. There's no loyalty in football from either parties anymore I'm afraid.

Edited by Shillzz
  • Like 2

If he decides to leave I will feel a bit cheated by him

He owes us big time

Not really.

We've played him because he's good, and he scores goals, thus helping our team.

If he was no good and wasn't scoring goals then we'd have dropped him like a stone. There's no loyalty in football from either parties anymore I'm afraid.

Sadly, I feel this is spot on. 

Edited by Ghost

for me Andreas Weimann owes us nothing. Hes given what he owed and more on the pitch. He couldnt possibly have give any more. He shows honesty, loyalty, passion, effort, teamwork, and skill - all on the pitch - where he should do. An absolute joy to watch and a stand out performer in modern day football.

Darren Bent, Stephen Ireland, Charles Nzogbia, owe us an embarrassing amount more than Weimann. And I have no doubt they will spend the rest of their lives, forever in our debt.

Edited by Woodytom

Liverpool? Honestly, he isn't good enough. To play on the flank perhaps, at a push, but certainly not as a striker. He's not even close to Sturridge for one, in either position.

Nah we'll agree to disagree. I've seen him do stuff this season technically that I haven't seen a Villa player do for a long time. His technique, his ability to bring a 60 yard pass down and set himself up with just one touch is the kind of thing we are used to seeing United players do, but rarely our own players. And if one of our own does it regularly enough, he ends up playing somewhere else.

There's a lot more to Weimann than we've seen this season on the wing. And he knows that too. The fact you have IMO underestimated him with your post is precisely why I fear us losing him. He won't want to be underestimated by being played out of position for much longer. So in a way you've demonstrated exactly what I fear.

So you can say the same about Benteke then

Yes and frankly I'd wish him all the best. It's annoying, but that's the game now. What you going to do?

We've been losing our best players for ages so nothing new. As long as the pipeline is refilled.

There's probably an interesting crossroads coming up about career and friendships for Andi, he spends a lot of time with Clark and Bannan and the friendships he's made growing up will doubtless mean a lot to him - the thing is, those players might not be able to stay with him and if they go I wonder what that does to his relationship with the club?

Â