Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

23 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I did a feed the Penguins experience at Dudley. It was better than I could have imagined. 

I'd love to do that. What did you feed them to?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Rodders said:

Just come back from a weekend in London, what a city. Forgot how insanely busy but also vibrant the place is, saw a couple of shows, Come From Away and the Back to the Future musical. Both are just fab. 

My wife was watching Come From Away on Apple earlier. We were actually in Gander in 2017; I loved Newfoundland for many many reasons and would love to go back, but I have to say the main thing I will always remember about Gander is eating by far the worst Chinese meal I've ever had in my life there.

22 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

22/2/22 is on a Tuesday.  

That works better if you're an American, and pronounce it 'toosday'. On the other hand, an American wouid call it 2/22/22. 

27 minutes ago, Xela said:

Back today from another little adventure. Had a couple of days in a small West Berkshire village called Stanford Dingley. Absolutely lovely place... very Midsomer Murders... without the murders! Two village pubs and some beautiful houses. I stopped at one pub (The Bull) but ate/drank at the other (The Old Boot) as the Bull wasn't serving food. I believe they had lost their chef and were struggling to replace them. They were only serving drinks until 9pm as well, which was a shame, so was never that busy but the other pub was bustling. 

It was a short 5 min walk from the pub I was using to my room and at night, the village is dead. No streetlights. Pitch black - you could barely see a few yards in front of you. All you could hear was wildlife! Locals tend to walk around with torches on their hats like miners! The Old Boot Inn is a regular haunt of Prince William and Kate, as the Middleton home is in the next village. 

I absolutely love quaint villages like this. I'd never be able to afford to live there but one can dream. It is proper rural... have to go through many miles of single and narrow track country roads to get there. I'd have to say, its probably the prettiest area of the UK I have been to. 

Not my photos... but gives you an idea of how pretty it is. 

7BPVOu2.jpeg

WRpYcql.jpeg

lY8nHVB.jpeg

oO8DYGI.jpeg

9iSo1VM.jpeg

ejWK1Wb.jpeg

I dated a girl from Berkshire, her parents had a pub and she used to live there. The picture of the Bull looks exactly like the pub they used to have. I remember having to travel like 5+ mile into the countryside to get to it, was in the middle of nowhere. I'm not positive this is the one, but I remember there being a small carpark opposite where I used to park, you could see it from her flat, as you say it was pitch black out there. They used to pick and choose the hours they open as it was only the locals who went in.

• Like 1

On 14/11/2021 at 19:27, Rodders said:

Just come back from a weekend in London, what a city. Forgot how insanely busy but also vibrant the place is, saw a couple of shows, Come From Away and the Back to the Future musical. Both are just fab. 

Bit slow compared to Cardiff though?

3 hours ago, Chindie said:

GamesMaster is back.

It's... It's actually not bad at all. It's got the important stuff bang on - Rab Florence is exactly the right guy to host, the right tone and knows gaming (he and Ryan MacLeod made one of the best gaming shows ever, Consolevania, with a cheap camcorder and a coat hanger) and Trevor McDonald in the Patrick Moore role of the GamesMaster is inspired. It's surprisingly good. If you like games.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Rodders said:

This didn't cheer me up, because according to the radio he was brought back to jail after failing a lie detector test. Now this guy is obviously a very unsympathetic person, but lie detector tests are *pure* pseudoscience and it is really quite distressing to learn that major legal decisions are being made wholly or in part because of them. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

This didn't cheer me up, because according to the radio he was brought back to jail after failing a lie detector test. Now this guy is obviously a very unsympathetic person, but lie detector tests are *pure* pseudoscience and it is really quite distressing to learn that major legal decisions are being made wholly or in part because of them. 

It was purely about the absurd image of a pitchfork being returned to jail tbh. Completely disconnected from the story itself :blush:

• Like 1

Just now, Rodders said:

It was purely about the absurd image of a pitchfork being returned to jail tbh. Completely disconnected from the story itself :blush:

Haha yeah sorry, I have been meaning to moan about that story and your post just provided a window of opportunity, sorry about that.

Â