Ciaran Clark

TheSufferingVilla

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, YLN said:

Wut?

Are you mixing up slow motion with real time? There's no such thing as seeing that cross early or late.. in fact I'm not sure seeing something early or late applies to anyone other than goalkeepers - sounds like you're mixing your cliches a bit there. A good view of the cross? It's not as if the cross was floated in and he rose highest to attempt to guide the ball wide, but instead knocked it in. The cross came in from what? 2/3 metres away from where he was standing, he knew there was someone behind him, so he had to get something on it. He didn't get enough on it, and it deflected in. And all of that took place over the course of half a second. 

You could say his positioning wasn't ideal for the cross. He was in no position to do anything where he was, but if he's too far forward and he's standing in the view of the keeper, and too far towards Ibra and he's left Larsson all alone. It was a great ball put into a horrible area between the defence and the goalkeeper. If he's a foot closer to the byline, maybe he can block it, but in order to do that he needs to be able to predict exactly where the cross is going to go, and in real time that is almost impossible.

No but it was a straight cross that he could clearly see e.g. not obstructed by any defender or striker in front of him so he could've just headed it back from where it came from but his body shape was all wrong for that.

To me he just lost all bearings of where the goal actually was.

The ones where I absolve any blame from a defender is those type of whipped in crosses that for example Young used to do for us. When they come in at great pace and all it takes is a flick off a defenders head and it can fly into the top corner, Zlatan's cross wasn't like that.

7 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

No but it was a straight cross that he could clearly see e.g. not obstructed by any defender or striker in front of him so he could've just headed it back from where it came from but his body shape was all wrong for that.

To me he just lost all bearings of where the goal actually was.

The ones where I absolve any blame from a defender is those type of whipped in crosses that for example Young used to do for us. When they come in at great pace and all it takes is a flick off a defenders head and it can fly into the top corner, Zlatan's cross wasn't like that.

Spacial awareness does diminish when one enters their early 40's

• Like 1

The pundits on rte said his positioning was bad and that he should of been closer to his goal at the front post in order to safely clear the ball and I agree with them but I also think he played well and we looked like conceding down our right side for the majority of the second half and I wasnt surprised when it happened, dunno why Mon didn't do something about it earlier...

8 minutes ago, Bunnski said:

The pundits on rte said his positioning was bad and that he should of been closer to his goal at the front post in order to safely clear the ball and I agree with them but I also think he played well and we looked like conceding down our right side for the majority of the second half and I wasnt surprised when it happened, dunno why Mon didn't do something about it earlier...

Who's on with Dumphy and Giles this year, I read they signed up Duff as a pundit?

54 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Who's on with Dumphy and Giles this year, I read they signed up Duff as a pundit?

Liam Brady was on last night as him, Dunphy and Giles are the 3 big hitters.  Mark kinsella and Kenny cunningham do the highlights show and the only other match pundit I've seen was Richie sadlier as I was away at the weekend and missed most of games. 

I am not Clark's biggest fan, as I feel he can look good for 89 minutes, but will always have a clanger or two in him that costs us a goal. However,  I didn't think there was a lot he could do about that goal yesterday though. I don't feel he was too far out of position, he couldn't leave the ball as it would have been a simple tap in for the forward, the ball was too high to hook away but too low to head over the bar. It was an unfortunate goal from a defenders point of view as he was left between a rock and a hard place.

I only caught the highlights of the Ireland game so for all I know he had a great game generally but he seemed hell bent on scoring an own goal and almost did so twice before finally getting one in (one was a wild clearance over the bar from a few yards out and the other a deflected corner which the keeper had to save).

I can't help but think of one word when it comes to Clark, liability.

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I only caught the highlights of the Ireland game so for all I know he had a great game generally but he seemed hell bent on scoring an own goal and almost did so twice before finally getting one in (one was a wild clearance over the bar from a few yards out and the other a deflected corner which the keeper had to save).

I can't help but think of one word when it comes to Clark, liability.

0 shots on goal says Clark and the Irish team did a solid defensive job.

But, Sweden only had about 3 scoring chances and all 3 where by Clark doing what he always does.

His positioning and concentration is awful, which leads to own goals, penalties, and yellow/red cards time and time again as he has to lounge in and throw himself in front of ball or player rather than being in the place he was supposed to be. 

I can only assume that because he was very talented as a youngster he didn't bother/forgot to learn the basics in reading the game and tactics that you need as a senior player. Probably the same thing that happened with Richards as well.

45 minutes ago, sne said:

0 shots on goal says Clark and the Irish team did a solid defensive job.

But, Sweden only had about 3 scoring chances and all 3 where by Clark doing what he always does.

His positioning and concentration is awful, which leads to own goals, penalties, and yellow/red cards time and time again as he has to lounge in and throw himself in front of ball or player rather than being in the place he was supposed to be. 

I can only assume that because he was very talented as a youngster he didn't bother/forgot to learn the basics in reading the game and tactics that you need as a senior player. Probably the same thing that happened with Richards as well.

Disagree with the bit in bold - he generally gets in good positions and makes a lot of clearances.  He is prone to the odd error (last night wasn't one, by the way) but is a decent centre back.

Nothing great, nothing terrible.

Not been around for a good few months so I've had time to reflect on my opinion on Clark, to re-evaluate my view on him away from the pain of a relegation capitulation. On reflection, I've decided I still think he is shite.

• Like 2

Clark was unstoppable at CB for a long run of games under Lambert. I don't remember him making too many errors then because he was playing with confidence. We haven't seen that player since Richards came into the fold and was made captain by Sherwood when Clark was clearly the best choice. RDM needs to back him as our main CB hopefully next to Okore and it won't be long before we see the best of him again.

Edited by Michael118

5 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

Clark was unstoppable at CB for a long run of games under Lambert. I don't remember him making too many errors then because he was playing with confidence. We haven't seen that player since Richards came into the fold and was made captain by Sherwood when Clark was clearly the best choice. RDM needs to back him as our main CB hopefully next to Okore and it won't be long before we see the best of him again.

I disagree on every single point but that is football for you.

• Like 1

On 14 June 2016 at 11:50, Bunnski said:

Liam Brady was on last night as him, Dunphy and Giles are the 3 big hitters.  Mark kinsella and Kenny cunningham do the highlights show and the only other match pundit I've seen was Richie sadlier as I was away at the weekend and missed most of games. 

Duff has also done a few. He s not to bad. 

Â