Ciaran Clark

TheSufferingVilla

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this goal was an isolated incident the positive comments could be taken as valid.....but unfortunately this is a feature of his game.

The pundits are commenting in isolation imo

you will always have to factor that in when accepting his position in the team....this type of goal will continue.

In order to move forward, we need centre halves we can "hang our hat on"

11 hours ago, AshVilla said:

Rep Ire drop Clark and they look alot more solid at the back and look like they are going to keep a clean sheet

Strange

Rep of Ire play a more attacking system to support Long. They retain and win ball back further up the field. Thus, defenders have less to do. Clark would more than likely done as well as Keogh last night.

1 hour ago, sparrow1988 said:

Rep of Ire play a more attacking system to support Long. They retain and win ball back further up the field. Thus, defenders have less to do. Clark would more than likely done as well as Keogh last night.

Thats debateable tbh. If someone bid 5m id be delighted

13 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Thats debateable tbh. If someone bid 5m id be delighted

It is debatable but Ireland's defence had little or nothing to do all night. My point is that the clean sheet was more to do with the change in system as opposed to the dropping of Clark. They attacked the Italians and put pressure on them high up the pitch instead of inviting them on to us like Ireland usually do. Which incidentally has been a problem for a while at Villa too. It drives me mental when we lose the ball and everybody just runs back filling space and not really picking anyone up or trying to win the ball. The more time the ball spends near your opponents goal the less chance you have of conceding a goal.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

It is debatable but Ireland's defence had little or nothing to do all night. My point is that the clean sheet was more to do with the change in system as opposed to the dropping of Clark. They attacked the Italians and put pressure on them high up the pitch instead of inviting them on to us like Ireland usually do. Which incidentally has been a problem for a while at Villa too. It drives me mental when we lose the ball and everybody just runs back filling space and not really picking anyone up or trying to win the ball. The more time the ball spends near your opponents goal the less chance you have of conceding a goal.

But if that was the case why didnt MON start him? Clarks been pretty poor this tournament 

30 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

But if that was the case why didnt MON start him? Clarks been pretty poor this tournament 

Didn't say Clark has been good or should have started. Just said that Ireland's revised gameplan gave the defence less to do. And the clean sheet was not a direct result of dropping Clark - It might have helped, it might not. 

1 hour ago, sparrow1988 said:

They attacked the Italians and put pressure on them high up the pitch instead of inviting them on to us like Ireland usually do.

This, Leicester showed how successful it can be in the premier league and  England did the same against Germany in the friendly.  Against teams that like knocking it about at the back you need to put pressure on them and make them rush the passes, losing possession in the process. Their defense is then high up the pitch and on their back foot with our strikers right on top of them. Typical old English style football,

it fascinates me how most pundits came out and defended him for his own goal.....yet MON dropped him.

There is clearly a difference of opinion.

Why is it people seem to wan't to put our inept CB's in midfield?

Both in the Richards thread and now here. Terrible, terrible idea.

Frankly I rather have Sanchez as CB than Clark or Richards as CM. 

(And I really don't think having Sanchez as CB was a good idea.)

Â