Ciaran Clark

TheSufferingVilla

He's not a terrible player like Richardson, and he's not got a crap attitude like N'Zogbia.

He is distinctively average. However he guarantees you one stupid cock up a game and that will often cost you. 

I agree completely about being a DM. He played better there - and - he's out of the way of the defence.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Absolutely, ridiculous overreaction in here

Not exactly ridiculous. 

I like Clark for 89 minutes and 59 seconds of a game, but it's classic Clark to have a rick like that. His physical attributes are excellent, unless he up against Anichebe, but he simply cannot keep it together for 90 minutes. He's a nana and it's extremely frustrating.  

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of his, and i didn't watch the game, but by all accounts he had a good game tonight. It can't be nice scoring an own goal in those circumstances for your country, i feel for the bloke. 

i think the biggest problem with him is the assumption that next year we'll have the ball, RDM will want us to knock it about, with who we have currently in the championship we should be quite comfortable in possession for the majority of games

clark simply cannot do that, he's a chugger, he's brave, he gets his head on stuff he makes some brilliant tackles...he also has a habit of launching the ball forward towards no one in particular without even looking...if theres a dangerous ball that needs smashing anywhere clear without having to think about it then he's your man, if you need someone to actually play a bit of football he's not

i think we'll still have him next because lets face it we arent buying 4 new CBs and when you compare him to richards, lescott, okore and baker he shockingly isnt the worst but he's not good enough

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

This thread is hilarious.

He actually played pretty well tonight.

VT at its best.

He mostly did, but it sums up Clark in a nutshell. Even at his best he's never far away from a clanger.

I think he'll probably suffice in the Championship though.

Edited by Davkaus

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

i think the biggest problem with him is the assumption that next year we'll have the ball, RDM will want us to knock it about, with who we have currently in the championship we should be quite comfortable in possession for the majority of games

clark simply cannot do that, he's a chugger, he's brave, he gets his head on stuff he makes some brilliant tackles...he also has a habit of launching the ball forward towards no one in particular without even looking...if theres a dangerous ball that needs smashing anywhere clear without having to think about it then he's your man, if you need someone to actually play a bit of football he's not

i think we'll still have him next because lets face it we arent buying 4 new CBs and when you compare him to richards, lescott, okore and baker he shockingly isnt the worst but he's not good enough

Ironically, when he first came through he was known as being more comfortable on the ball than our other CBs. I think his mistakes under Lambert knocked his confidence.

Clark played really well tonight. The OG wasn't his fault he had to try and get something on it as it would have been a tap in. It wasn't a clumsy OG at all. 

I thought he was good tonight

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't even think it was a clanger. 

Leave it and the Swedish player has a tap in. He had to get something on it, but turned it in.

He couldn't leave it, but he's headed it backwards towards his own goal. I guess it's easy to say when you've watched it over and over in slow motion, but it was a dreadful attempt at dealing with it.

He's not helped by the keeper being rooted to the front post, the ball was close enough I'd expect the keeper to claim it, really.

• Like 1

As others have said - I liked the look of him as DCM, his height helped him, he was solid and *shock horror* followed his man, was faily comfortable on the ball and looked to go forward. Was unlucky tonight - but as a centre half - he'll do this all the time, 89 mins great / fairly solid.... but it' the other minute or so when he let's them in. I didn't think there was much he could do with the goal this evening. 

Edited by commander
typo

John O'Shea's inability to sort his feet out was as bad in my book... Clark was screwed by being flat footed when Zlatan shuffled down the line. This is either because he's a bit rubbish or that Zlatan fella is a bit nifty/shifty.

He was undoubtedly up against a special talent tonight.

my problem with clark is irrespective of the opposition, he always has a fatal error in him....its seems to be a feature of his play.

I think he has desire, endeavour and is brave.....I think he struggles with reading the game and lacks composure at crucial times, he lets the game move away from him and tends to panic.....limited defender for me.

• Like 1

Â