Ciaran Clark

TheSufferingVilla

1 hour ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

He is just a disaster waiting to happen..as others have said here "he has a mistake in him every game"..it just tends to be a major mistake everytime leading to goals...sell him on

When you think he has been playing alongside Richards, Bacuna, Lescott and Guzan, who also have a mistake in them every game is it any wonder we got relegated.  It is like a perfect storm of incompetence!  Take note all those in the 'give them all a second chance' brigade.  

Edited by Gary Thomas

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, 1958Villan said:

I've been saying for years Ciaran Clark is a square peg in a round hole. There is no way he is a central defender and he never was, he has always been a holding midfielder, until the genius O'Neil decided to make him play in the centre of defence, without giving the lad any proper training in the position. Now it is too late to train him how to play properly as a centre back.

Not sure that's true, think he was always a CB coming through the youth teams... I think he only ever played once or twice under mon and it wasn't until the houllier season where he got regular games (I remember him at CB against west ham in kmacs game in charge).

40 minutes ago, Butterfingers said:

Why is Clark even starting for Ireland? I thought they had better defenders than him. Is someone injured?

I think any chance we had of getting any sort of fee for him will have gone out of the window now. With his contract, I think we'll be stuck with him next season.

Marc Wilson used to be first choice but got some bad injuries, then was a toss-up between him and Keogh to play next to O'Shea. when funny enough Duffy is better than all 3 of them and yet wont make a game

MON and his favouites

• Like 1

He is another one I have a soft spot for I can't lie, as well as Baker, I think I am slightly biased towards the old boys I have "grown up with" to be honest. I don't feel they are as bad as people make out, and I don't think they have ever necessarily had the chance to play beside beasts/motivators like Laursen/Mellberg etc. I genuinely think some of our young players through the disastrous season could step up with the right players and structure around them. Ironically though, I am yet to see the special in Grealish!

• Like 1

After reading positive reviews of him in Euro qualifying - the mistakes are showing more often in both Villa and Eire sides. Next season is make or break for him for us, he needs to show he is capable and not a liability.

That Cruyff turn he did for us near the half way line and got robbed still haunts me. 

20 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Clarke has had more than enough chances and at 35 years of age I think it is time to move him on.

Way too short for a striker as well!

• Like 1

no matter how you look at it the blokes a car crash. Yes he tries his hardest and his attitude is spot on. but he's simply not good enough. we cant afford that next season, its just far to much of a risk to have him in our team. he will not improve and clearly doesnt learn from his mistakes. sorry cieran you've gotta go mate

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

unstoppable :blink:

Short memories.

Yes he looks a shadow of that player now and has for about 12 months but you don't play the way he did then over that length of time if you don't have genuine ability.

1 hour ago, Michael118 said:

Short memories.

Yes he looks a shadow of that player now and has for about 12 months but you don't play the way he did then over that length of time if you don't have genuine ability.

It was about 2 months he played consistently well for. 

I've always rated him on raw ability alone, but he's 26 years old now and to this moment nobody has been able to coach the meltdowns out of him.

He's now in the last chance saloon. He's always given 100% so perhaps RDM will give him one last crack, but I don't hold out a huge amount of hope. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tismyk said:

I still think he will be a big player for us next season

Yeah your probally right.

Okore is about 6 ft and the potential new signing from Bournmouth is rumoured to be 5'1.

4 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

He is another one I have a soft spot for I can't lie, as well as Baker, I think I am slightly biased towards the old boys I have "grown up with" to be honest. I don't feel they are as bad as people make out, and I don't think they have ever necessarily had the chance to play beside beasts/motivators like Laursen/Mellberg etc. I genuinely think some of our young players through the disastrous season could step up with the right players and structure around them. Ironically though, I am yet to see the special in Grealish!

Agree with a lot of this. I actually think Baker will develop into the better defender and could possibly iron out the mistakes, Clark has made too many too often at centre half but would make the perfect holding midfielder in my humble opinion, but you can't argue about them both being model pro's unlike the rest.

Grealish is just meh btw.

Midfielder? Clark can barely keep his head when all he has to do is focus on defending. Try asking him to focus on looking forwards and backwards and after about 20 minutes he will just be stood on the spot turning in circles and weeping.

• Like 1

Â