Ciaran Clark

TheSufferingVilla

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must say if there were any truth in the rumours that Albion would be prepared to pay 5m for him, i'll happily drive him to the Hawthorns myself.   Not a youngster anymore and still makes silly decisions/mistakes almost every game.  

4 minutes ago, av1 said:

This tournament is a perfect illustration of Ciaran Clark. Looked good for long periods against Zlatan to then go and score an own goal. Even today, there have been good moments before that stupid decision for the goal. 

There is a cock up in this bloke every game. 

Copied from the Euro thread,

On 6/15/2016 at 22:13, Michael118 said:

Clark was unstoppable at CB for a long run of games under Lambert. I don't remember him making too many errors then because he was playing with confidence. We haven't seen that player since Richards came into the fold and was made captain by Sherwood when Clark was clearly the best choice. RDM needs to back him as our main CB hopefully next to Okore and it won't be long before we see the best of him again.

unstoppable :blink:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villakram said:

As McManaman said on ESPN, he should have put Hazard in stand... 

Then McManaman is talking bollocks. He should have been goal side of Hazard, giving the rest of the defence chance to catch up with play. Or at least attempting to. He was never going to win that ball, he was a million miles away from putting it or Hazard into the stand. 

Shocking decision. I was under the impression he plays well for Ireland generally?

I've been saying for years Ciaran Clark is a square peg in a round hole. There is no way he is a central defender and he never was, he has always been a holding midfielder, until the genius O'Neil decided to make him play in the centre of defence, without giving the lad any proper training in the position. Now it is too late to train him how to play properly as a centre back.

4 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Then McManaman is talking bollocks. He should have been goal side of Hazard, giving the rest of the defence chance to catch up with play. Or at least attempting to. He was never going to win that ball, he was a million miles away from putting it or Hazard into the stand. 

Shocking decision. I was under the impression he plays well for Ireland generally?

Steve's point was more that given he was never getting the ball he absolutely had to take the man. A yellow card and no one ever remembers the terrible positioning and anticipation, e.g., Italian bastards. 

I've no idea what O'Neill said at half time, but we clearly got too aggressive with the defence being consistently way up the field and spread out. That's just not how to play this kind of team. Though, we were lucky in the first half. I think Clark is generally quite solid when playing for Ireland, but normally we are much more compact... he's clearly been infected with the Villa disease with todays rickett and and the OG against Swedan.

I'd be ok if we kept him as I think he's generally a good guy, but I'd hope we are looking at upgrading. Then again, champo is rubbish and perhaps exactly his level.

Edited by villakram

Why is Clark even starting for Ireland? I thought they had better defenders than him. Is someone injured?

I think any chance we had of getting any sort of fee for him will have gone out of the window now. With his contract, I think we'll be stuck with him next season.

11 minutes ago, villakram said:

Steve's point was more that given he was never getting the ball he absolutely had to take the man. A yellow card and no one ever remembers the terrible positioning and anticipation, e.g., Italian bastards. 

My point is that he was nowhere near getting the man either.

Â