Ciaran Clark

TheSufferingVilla

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

When you think about what we have had ever since Mellberg and Laursen you could weep. 

We've always been blessed with decent CBs in my time supporting...Ugo, Southgate, Mellberg, Laursen, Dunne (for a season), Vlaar (for first 18 months amongst the injuries), top class international CBs.

Clark is a real pretender amongst them and I always feel he's going to drop a clanger. He also isn't that young anymore, 27 so should be coming into his prime but looks even worse than his early days.

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't even think it was a clanger. 

Leave it and the Swedish player has a tap in. He had to get something on it, but turned it in.

Of course it was a clanger, he could've headed it past the post for a start.

It wasn't like he even saw it late and reacted last minute, he had a good view of the cross but totally misjudged where the goal actually was.

It reminded me of that comical own goal Warnock scored v QPR in the McLeish season.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Of course it was a clanger, he could've headed it past the post for a start.

It wasn't like he even saw it late and reacted last minute, he had a good view of the cross but totally misjudged where the goal actually was.

It reminded me of that comical own goal Warnock scored v QPR in the McLeish season.

It's so so far form the Warnock OG

• Like 1

I cannot believe he's managed to stay at the club for this long, he's never been of the standard I would've expected from an Aston Villa player, tho having been spoilt on some of the world class defenders we have had, maybe I'm just being too harsh on him? 

Tbh looking at the replay he had to put his head in, Larsson would have scored that any day had he not (arguably). Just seems rather typical that it happens so often to this player even when he's having good days. I'm happy it saved us a point, but I feel bad for the lad as well.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/06/13/sl-danny-murphy-and-alan-shearer-defend-ciaran-clark-own-goal/?

Danny Murphy and Alan Shearer defend Ciaran Clark own goal

The Republic of Ireland defender scored an own goal in the draw withSweden.

Republic of Ireland's Clark scores own goalRepublic of Ireland's Clark scores own goal

Speaking to BBC Sport, broadcast June 13th, Danny Murphy and Alan Shearer have moved to defender Aston Villa defender Ciaran Clark after his own goal for the Republic or Ireland.

The defender started in the centre of defence for Ireland on Monday as they opened their Euro 2016 campaign against Sweden.

Sweden's Zlatan IbrahimovicSweden's Zlatan Ibrahimovic

For the most part he put in a fine defensive display, keeping Zlatan Ibrahimovic and co at arms length for much of the game.

However, his one big mistake proved to be a costly one as he turned Ibrahimovic cross into his own net, handing Sweden an equaliser and resulting in the two sides sharing the points.

Sweden's Sebastian Larsson celebrates after Republic of Ireland's Ciaran Clark scores an own goal and Sweden's firstSweden's Sebastian Larsson celebrates after Republic of Ireland's Ciaran Clark scores an own goal and Sweden's first

Naturally he received some criticism for it, but Murphy and Shearer moved to absolve him of blame.

“He had to try and get something on it, it wasn’t a horrendous own goal. The centre halves shouldn’t be to disappointed,” Murphy told BBC Sport.

“As a defender, Clark couldn’t gamble and let the ball go across goal. He has to get something on it,” added Shearer.

Republic of Ireland's Shane Long dejected after the gameRepublic of Ireland's Shane Long dejected after the game

They are right in a way I suppose. If he had left it Larsson would have got the tap in and points shared.  He was basically in a lose lose situation.  Get something on it, own goal, he gets a load of stick.  Leave it and Larsson scores he gets a load of stick.

With the two Beeb lads. He really had to do something as it was likely to be poked in anyway. He opted for the "lesser of two evils", trying to be safe with his head. 

Great finish though :D

Now all we have to do is beat Belgium or Italy, simples ...

Â