The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

I agree.

I like Grealish a lot, he's our best player (although not on current form), he's definitely one of the best in the division, but some overrate him to cringeworthy level. For me he was definitely one of the best in the division last season, belonging on a list that includes Neves, Sessegnon and Maddison. But I would not, with confidence, say he's better than any of them, and he's certainly a level below Neves. People laughed at Maddison's fee and suggested Grealish was worth a lot more, a load of bollocks, not only was Maddison at least as good as him last season, he's now doing really well in the premier league, whilst IMO Grealish is struggling to look anywhere near the player he was last season. 

Right now Grealish is not dominating football matches in the way his talent dictates he should and whilst Bruce's tactics explain some of that, players as good as Grealish ought to be dominating regardless of how shit the manager is. Really top players always stand out, Grealish IMO is not and will never be in that category. 

I totally agree.

I love the fact that he stayed with us (btw talk on that new contract has been quiet) but he now needs to find his form. Seems to be having a love in with his ‘brother’ Abraham on social media so I hope that will lead to greater links/good feeling/form on the pitch going forward during this long season.

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

For about 10 minutes after they scored  he looked like the Jack of last season and bosses the game. Then just went back to slowing the game down.

Bruce immediately moved him back out wide where it's much easier to mark him out of the game. 

He isn't a blistering pace kick and rush player. He needs to play in a team of one and two touch passing where the players actually move.

Today he was about 40 yards from their goal dancing around their players and not one Villa player was making a run for him. They just stood like statues waiting for him to do something. All he could do was go left to right and back again.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

For about 10 minutes after they scored  he looked like the Jack of last season and bosses the game. Then just went back to slowing the game down.

Played left wing, right wing, CM and as a second striker almost today.

He's get absolutely dicked about now.

4 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Played left wing, right wing, CM and as a second striker almost today.

He's get absolutely dicked about now.

Probably because there isn't a place for him in a 4-4-2. He was in the team today because he is Jack Grealish, not because his recent form merited it or because he fitted into the shape of the team. It didn't really work out.

2 hours ago, Stockport_Villain said:

He’s been poor this season, I presume as a hang over from the spurs move. He needs to sort himself out or needs dropping to get someone else in who will play for the team.

Nonsense.

There is no hang over and he needs a better manager to utilise him better to get the best out of him again.

Most of our squad have looked mediocore average so far this season and that my friend lays squarely at the managers door.

• Like 2

Reported in The Express that he is going to reject interest from Spurs and sign an extended deal. Probably lazy rehashed journalism, but interesting that it got column inches now. Perhaps it suggests things are moving behind the scenes, it can’t be because he wants to play in a mid table Championship team, even if that team is The Villa. 

He was awful yesterday. Slowed the game down every time he got the ball. I also learned yesterday from one of my baggies mates that Robson Kanu has contributed to more goals this season than jack. Really think now is a good time to take him out of the team. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, grobs said:

He was awful yesterday. Slowed the game down every time he got the ball. I also learned yesterday from one of my baggies mates that Robson Kanu has contributed to more goals this season than jack. Really think now is a good time to take him out of the team. 

Absolute bollocks.

• Like 3

Didn’t have a chance to influence the game shoved out on the wing. 

We had 10 mins of 4-5-1 with him in the middle and he was fantastic then the clearing in the woods in charge switches back and kills his momentum. 

Does anybody know if he actually wanted to go to Spurs? See, I personally think that he wouldn't want that and would rather have stayed with Villa and play Premier League football with us, especially with the new owners taking over. Even after the takeover, Bruce went on record, just prior to transfer deadline day, saying that we didn't now need to sell Jack but anything could happen because "his head had been turned" by Spurs. 

I have a feeling that Bruce was planning on life without Jack and brought McGinn in as his replacement. Then, when Jack didn't have to go, I think Bruce was kind of hoping the move would still happen in order for him to get his hands on the transfer fee.

Maybe Jack now feels unwanted by the manager/club and that's affected his performances this season? 

To be fair, he's nowhere near the player he was last season. But, hopefully, a change of manager will spark him back to life. 

I feel for him, he was moved from wide left, to wide right, to central midfield to wide left again. He's not that effective in wide positions. He is being atrociously managed. This has impacted his performances, his quality isn't the same and he's not delivering. Bruce shoulders a proportion of the blame, but I still maintain that as an individual he needs to do more, if he wants to be in the big time at clubs like Spurs he needs to show that, he's frankly not. He was poor yesterday when he had the ball at his feet for the most part, holding onto it too long when there were passes on, making wrong decisions and showing no end product. It's a concern. In the immediate term, Bruce must go, simple as that, Grealish will improve immediately as a result.

• Like 1

Rubbish yesterday, but mostly due to the fact he was played out of position for the majority of the game. He's not a winger, we established this about 3 seasons ago.

If you are going to move a player about into 3 different positions over the course of a game (left mid, right mid, centre mid) then you can't expect a decent performance from him.

He's by far the best player we have and we should be building a side around him. If we play him in his number 10 role we then have to play players to suit this formation. Or we play him in centre midfield as we now know he is useful there.

This:

ST

LW  Grealish  RW

CM       CM

LB  CB   CB   RB

GK

Or this:

ST

LM  Grealish  CM  RM

DM

LB    CB      CB      RB

GK