The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

57 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think his talent is diluted playing further back.....but understand why against Boro.

I think he will play further forward against Fulham.

I'm not referring to just against Boro. This season he has played from a deeper position than he used to. 

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I think his talent is diluted playing further back.....but understand why against Boro.

I think he will play further forward against Fulham.

The further back he plays the more ball he sees, Jack's not going to be playing on the shoulder of the last man looking for a ball over the top is he? He wants the ball into feet.

Probably his best strength is keeping the ball in tight spaces, wriggling out of 2 or 3 challenges and driving at a defence, you can't do that as easily if you're picking the ball up on the edge of the box.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I think he has a chance of making today's squad.

I don't.

Southgate has been experimenting with lots of players for the past few England games. He said he knows who most of his squad is and there won't be any surprises.

He's not going to suddenly pick Grealish who hasn't been in any of those squads.

Grealish will make the England squad eventually. But it won't be for this world cup.

Edited by Stevo985

12 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Caught merson on sky after the game, something along the lines of best weighting of a pass he's ever seen

Some of the balls in to adomah he's not wrong, makes it look so simple 

So true.

Once, just once, a 'Boro player read the pass to Adomah and cut it out.  I applauded that player (in my head, of course) as I think it's the first time I've seen one of those passes from Grealish actually be cut out.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

He needs to play further up field, where his work is better placed....but equally understand why, he did play deeper against Boro.

I think he will be deployed further forward against Fulham.....his passion and enthusiasm has him trying to do it all.....I would prefer to see him in positions to  hurt the opposition.

I disagree; mainly because I've not seen as good a ball carrier in our team for a long, long time.  Possibly can't remember the last one.

At times against Boro (and, in fairness, probably because of the pace of Adama Traore), we were so deep and the only times we actually relieved any pressure was when Jack got the ball and ran with it.

If you play him in that archetypal number 10 role (that we all saw him being at some point), I think you lose the ability to carry the ball up the pitch.  Strangely, given his technique and passing ability, you'd lessen the teams' ability to hurt the opposition.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I disagree; mainly because I've not seen as good a ball carrier in our team for a long, long time.  Possibly can't remember the last one.

At times against Boro (and, in fairness, probably because of the pace of Adama Traore), we were so deep and the only times we actually relieved any pressure was when Jack got the ball and ran with it.

If you play him in that archetypal number 10 role (that we all saw him being at some point), I think you lose the ability to carry the ball up the pitch.  Strangely, given his technique and passing ability, you'd lessen the teams' ability to hurt the opposition.

Well said.

Against Middlesbrough we were able to get the ball up the pitch because of Jack, allowing the rest of the team to move up the pitch and be a potential threat.

46 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

The further back he plays the more ball he sees, Jack's not going to be playing on the shoulder of the last man looking for a ball over the top is he? He wants the ball into feet.

Probably his best strength is keeping the ball in tight spaces, wriggling out of 2 or 3 challenges and driving at a defence, you can't do that as easily if you're picking the ball up on the edge of the box.

I think you are slightly exaggerating my point.

I am not asking him to play on the shoulder of the last man, that is a strikers job.

i am talking of an advanced midfield position......where his valuable perfectly weighted passes play strikers in.....The place where space is sparse and quick elusive feet are crucial is in the last third.

I understand the point you make, but he is a luxury, playing back there.....for sure he has the feet and balance to carry the ball, but it can be at the expense of channeling all his focus and energy in the business end of the field.....He is close right now to becoming the complete footballer....we need to utilise him where he can do optimum damage.

Edited by TRO

4 hours ago, bobzy said:

I disagree too.

I take your point and I am not lost on your opinion.

i just happen to think it highlights a weakness in our squad.

Jack cannot play everywhere,without consequences..... he clearly highlights what we have missing in other players.

what you suggest he does well by carrying the ball out of defence, I applaud, but it is at the expense of what I want to see him doing.

Jack Grealish, despite his undoubted ball control and his now additional combative spirit, is not a defender......I believe he would hurt the opposition much more in an advanced role, much like his position in the semi-final against Liverpool, where he perfectly illustrated what he is best at.

Edited by TRO

The way he plays is reminiscent of a young David Silva, if he has half the career of him he’ll have done well.

Providing we get in the prem in the next couple of years (obviously hopefully this season), I definitely think he’ll be a future captain of our side. 

If he had decided to play for Ireland he’d probably have 20 caps by now, but I actually think he really wants to play for England that is driving him on to improve. He must see the likes of Alli, and think that could be him if we hadn’t been relegated.

Edited by mikeyp102

2 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

The way he plays is reminiscent of a young David Silva, if he has half the career of him he’ll have done well.

Providing we get in the prem in the next couple of years (obviously hopefully this season), I definitely think he’ll be a future captain of our side. 

If he had decided to play for Ireland he’d probably have 20 caps by now, but I actually think he really wants to play for England that is driving him on to improve. He must see the likes of Alli, and think that could be him if we hadn’t been relegated.

MON is the manager. He'd have 7 sub appearances totalling 90 minutes if he had chosen to play for Ireland.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Yeah, but I think he'd be most effect around the 3/4, trying to be between the opposition midfield and their back 4. We'd need a proper ball player behind him for that though.

3 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Bring relegated has hopefully helped in Grealish not being the brat Alli is becoming. I actually believe Alli needs to be careful with his career over the next couple of seasons. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Bring relegated has hopefully helped in Grealish not being the brat Alli is becoming. I actually believe Alli needs to be careful with his career over the next couple of seasons. 

I think since Rooney retired the media will make him the villain going forward starting with Russia in a few weeks

10 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

He is quickly becoming more than just an attacking midfielder and on the way to being the complete midfielder I feel.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

I think since Rooney retired the media will make him the villain going forward starting with Russia in a few weeks

Steriling is way ahead of Alli in this regard. I mean he even bought his mother a house.

Â