The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

Wafting around like an empty crisp packet in the wind today. Terrible. And he did have plenty of opportunities to release the ball quicker or take a shot, he generally ran into a Spurs player instead and lost it. 

Disappointing and he'll know it. 

• Like 3

The glaringly obvious weakness with Grealish's play when he has the ball is that it's all done too slow. Think there was a spell for 5-6 minutes after half time where we were playing football in they're half and keeping the ball but it was possession for possession sake. Looked nice and tidy but they're defense were under no pressure. Needs to stay working on his game. The next 12 months will be important for him as to whether he can crack it or not.

57 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

To who?

got no problem with him taking his time on the ball, he's looking for something, when it's not there he releases it

if there were through balls that he wasn't seeing or wasn't playing then fair enough but that's not what I seem him doing

A few times late in the game when we should have been going for it, Amavi screaming for it a few times and he was just dwelling on the ball in the middle, taking numerous needless touches.

33 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

The glaringly obvious weakness with Grealish's play when he has the ball is that it's all done too slow. 

Agreed. I still think that there is very little to Jack's game. People often comment on how comfortable he looks on the ball, but its no good "gliding" around the pitch if all you are going to do is run into the opposition.

The kid is clearly talented but more often than not there is very little end product, and as you say, its all very slow.  

Hes not good enough. He doesnt provide enough of a goal threat and is taking a position from someone who could be. Id rather we go two up top than play him in midfield. 

Commentators were right at the start of the match.. who is the goal threat? Adomah doesnt score many.. Grealish scores rarely.. Bacuna nothing lately.. and Gabby. We were never going to score. 

On 2 January 2017 at 22:23, Stevo985 said:

another rather shit performance from him. Winker showed how much more of a talent he is. Greallish is so over rated. We probably one good gMe in 5 from him

Edited by Demitri_C

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

another rather shit performance from him. Winker showed how much more of a talent he is. Greallish is so over rated. We probably one good gMe in 5 from him

I wouldn't say he is over rated I would say he is under performing mate. The main issue is that not enough people show for the ball when he is in possession so he struggles to make too much of an impact. At times through the season when Amavi has been in advanced positions he linked up well with him and at the start of the season he was linking up well with McCormack. With a couple of quality additions to the team I think it will benefit him and make him look twice the player that he has up to this point.

The thing that is lacking from his game though is goals and hopefully that is something that will come sooner rather than later.

7 minutes ago, Villa Stu said:

I wouldn't say he is over rated I would say he is under performing mate. The main issue is that not enough people show for the ball when he is in possession so he struggles to make too much of an impact. At times through the season when Amavi has been in advanced positions he linked up well with him and at the start of the season he was linking up well with McCormack. With a couple of quality additions to the team I think it will benefit him and make him look twice the player that he has up to this point.

The thing that is lacking from his game though is goals and hopefully that is something that will come sooner rather than later.

When does he perform though? Grealish just goes missing. Yes he dances around defenders and gets fouled. However, he cant pass or put a through ball. Barely shoots and when he does its not good. Against Championship opposition i was expecting him to dominate but he doesnt even stand out in the Championship. Overrated is a fair call imo.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, av1 said:

Agreed. I still think that there is very little to Jack's game. People often comment on how comfortable he looks on the ball, but its no good "gliding" around the pitch if all you are going to do is run into the opposition.

The kid is clearly talented but more often than not there is very little end product, and as you say, its all very slow.  

I think he is approaching a bit of a crossroads. 

There is undoubtedly talent and he can glide on the ball,  ghost past people and generally look good.  But he has no end product,  not just in terms of a goal but in something coming from his ability. 

He needs definitely to play at a faster pace.  He definitely needs to learn when to pass and to be aware that if he runs into a player and loses the ball,  the opposition might break onto us,  in other words learn WHEN to try a dribble. 

And of course he needs more goals. 

I think he will get better with a better midfield but he is now maturing and gaining experience and needs to start bringing these things to his play which will enable him to become a Harry Redknapp stylee top top player,  or else he will become another player who everyone used to rave about but never really came to much. 

Playing AM in a hoofball set-up you are never going to look very good. Who was Grealish meant to pick out today? Agbonlahor? The lack of running and lack of possession and complete isolation that Grealish faced and indeed faces regularly makes his job pretty difficult.

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I think he is approaching a bit of a crossroads. 

There is undoubtedly talent and he can glide on the ball,  ghost past people and generally look good.  But he has no end product,  not just in terms of a goal but in something coming from his ability. 

He needs definitely to play at a faster pace.  He definitely needs to learn when to pass and to be aware that if he runs into a player and loses the ball,  the opposition might break onto us,  in other words learn WHEN to try a dribble. 

And of course he needs more goals. 

I think he will get better with a better midfield but he is now maturing and gaining experience and needs to start bringing these things to his play which will enable him to become a Harry Redknapp stylee top top player,  or else he will become another player who everyone used to rave about but never really came to much. 

I think thats a great point aboit the pace of his game. If you compare him to say Adomah, Jack's got much more talent, but the pace of Adomah's play means that by and large he creates more chances. 

Now thats not just down to pace, Jack will never have blistering pace of course, but he just needs to move the ball quicker. As strange as it sounds, i often think of Rugby watching Jack. Because its about quick ball and speed of thought instead of just making yards running into the big ugly prop. 

Still waiting for Jack to be a force. If he can't do it in this division, he won't when we get back up. His limitations are plain to see, and too often passes the ball off when he should run at the opposition. But when he does decide to play to his own strengths, he usually misfires or turns the ball over.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, KSV said:

When does he perform though? Grealish just goes missing. Yes he dances around defenders and gets fouled. However, he cant pass or put a through ball. Barely shoots and when he does its not good. Against Championship opposition i was expecting him to dominate but he doesnt even stand out in the Championship. Overrated is a fair call imo.  

Jack can pass the fact is that no one shows for the ball when our attackers have it. A number of times today he had the ball but had no options on.

If we get a couple of decent players that show for the ball and can also pass you will see him tear players apart in this league. The won't know if he will glide past them or look for a quick one two. The issue has been that he has been isolated for long periods during his first team career. He has bags of potential and with the right man management and support he will quickly become the player that we all know he can be.

• Like 1

Needs to watch Robben play because Grealish likes to cut in to his right every single time which somehow works for Robben. Spurs defense was even moving to the right before Grealish even did. Way too predictable. 

With Jack i sometimes get the impression that its all about Jack. If he nutmeged some bloke and left him on his arse, but then ran the ball out of play, he would be more happy about the nutmeg than disappointed that nothing become of the play. 

I'm drunk, I've just spent ages writing that, if it makes no sense i apologise. Time for bed

Disappointing again. I think Grealish is mainly suffering from our lack of game plan, and he isn't the only one. He is neither mature or clever enough to simply 'roam freely' and be effective at the same time.

• Like 1

Â